Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Christmas a Federal Holiday?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM
  • 300 Replies

Poll

Question: Should Christmas remain as a federal holiday?

Options:

Most certainly!

No

Only if they add umpteen other religious holidays as well

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 566

View Results

In light of all this push for the new interpretation of separation of church and state...

Should Christmas be a federal holiday?  Does that not endorse Christianity?

What say you?

by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM
38 moms liked this

Let's ban ALL holidays, go back to working 6 days a week. We'll all be forced to wear the same haircuts and wear black spandex suits. We will be given our daily approved rations of 'food' and we'll burn all books, media and other influential mind alterign materials.

Think we'll all be happy then?

momversuswild
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds very North Korean-ish doesn't it?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Let's ban ALL holidays, go back to working 6 days a week. We'll all be forced to wear the same haircuts and wear black spandex suits. We will be given our daily approved rations of 'food' and we'll burn all books, media and other influential mind alterign materials.

Think we'll all be happy then?

Octobersmom
by Member on Dec. 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM
14 moms liked this

I'm not Christian and I still say that we should keep it as is.  If you don't celebrate Christmas then call it the Winter Holiday day off.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM
17 moms liked this

I simply think that if someone believes in and/or celebrates Christmas, they should get the day off. The same goes for jews, muslims, etc. Why cant we show respect for holidays of all religions?

o0orange0o
by Melani on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:10 PM
13 moms liked this
No religious holidays should be national holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM
10 moms liked this

Quoting o0orange0o:

No religious holidays should be national holidays.

Something like 96% of Americans celebrate Christmas but only about 76% of Americans identify as Christians. Does that still make it a religious holiday?

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought they already changed the wording for that???? Heck schools that are federally funded changed it to winter break.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM
11 moms liked this
I think that Christmas has become as much a cultural celebration as a religious one, so I think it should remain a federal holiday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM
5 moms liked this

I always wished they would recognize Hanukkah as a federal holiday. 8 days off for everyone!! lol 

It's probably not PC to have Christmas recognized as a federal holiday but I don't object to the ability to take time off to spend with family and friends... and get paid for it.

Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM
12 moms liked this

Just give everyone the week between Christmas and New Years off and call it winter break.  Our kids get it, so why shouldn't we? :P  And after all, the Chinese take a week off to celebrate their New Years, so why not?

In all seriousness, no religious holiday should be national.  However, when you have a nation in which 70-80% are that religion and will be taking the day off, and another at least 10% (I'm guessing on this number) will probably celebrate even though they are not religious because they have friends/family that are, or they just like it, then it makes 0 economic sense to try to keep businesses open.  If it wasn't a government holiday, then people would be forced to work in government offices that day, and you can imagine the protests over that one!  I don't have a solution to offer, but I like the winter break idea :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN