Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Was the nursing mom being unreasonable or were the workers being just down right ugly?

Poll

Question: Should she have moved when asked?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

Now since Ive joined Cm, I'll admit BFing has come into a new light in my eyes. Its just another way to feed your child vs. the icky act I once felt it was. However, I do think the nursing mom at target was just a tad bit unreasonable. She was in the middle of their women's department sitting down on the ground. C' mon, thats a wee bit crazy. Especially when the have perfectly good benches, dressing rooms (as a last resort, it still looks much cleaner than a floor), and in some locations a cafe or restaurant. I think the way the employees handled it was wrong. There was no real need to walk past her mumbling things. Thats a passive aggressiveway to handle something, and really mean. I would have just ask her to please go to a bench or somewhere out of the way of traffic. They did ask her to move but i think the way they went about it was wrong. Maybe trying to point out more comfortable spots in the store might have persuaded her to move from that area. If she was in the direct way of costumers, then she should have been ask to move but there was still no need to be rude about it.

Its her right to feed her baby where she pleases. I do think it would have been a little considerate to sit somewhere cleaner, safer, and not in the way. But its also your responsibility as an employee to handle things correctly and tactfully.

I am enthused that the moms are expressing their concerns about it, they have every right. I do however hope they did not block costumer and merchandising space.

EDIT: HLN's story link: http://www.hlntv.com/video/2011/12/28/target-mothers-breast-feeding-nurse

EDIT 2: This is a clip of the mom and her baby. I think a reporter was just telling her story (reporting the news) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fy04Nnv16U

by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Replies (131-140):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kleea1969:

Can I sit on the floor and have a cup of coffee there? If the answer is yes then the woman should have not been asked to move. If the answer is no then she should have been asked to move.

A woman should not be made to feel uncomfortable for breast feeding her baby but she also shouldn't act as if she can do whatever she wants. If she was blocking customers she was out of line. Based on what I saw she is just trying to make a statement and she is going too far with it. I could be wrong because I don't have all the facts. If there is more to it then my opinion could easily change.

cassnadrajones
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM

You're right, I forgot. If your breastfeeding you are just the world greatest person and we should all bow down to you. Thank you for not smiting me all mighty smiter :]. Your breast is just out and about yet no one is going to glance over. I forgot we dont have peripheral vision and we are not naturally attracted to things that seem abnormal. 

Quoting AnotherKim:

Common courtesy would be you, or me, not staring at someone who is eating. It's pretty easy to avert ours eyes.

Quoting cassnadrajones:

While I do understand that, I really dont want to see anyone's breast necessarily. If you had a problem with me feeding my child, I would turn my back to you or something. Like I said, its common courtesy. 

Quoting AnotherKim:

I don't know about your kids, but mine hated having their heads covered while they ate. I don't care much for bottles but I don't tell a mother to cover her bottle-feeding baby.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Quoting cassnadrajones:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting mocha_mama509:

While breastfeeding in public is the norm in other countries, it is not here in the U.S. Like it or not, that's the reality of the matter. I breastfed my son, but I knew and respected that it made people uncomfortable, so I would go to a fitting room. And yes, it does make me uncomfortable to have a woman whip it out in front of me without covering up. Even if it doesn't make all people uneasy, it does make others that way (alot others) and I don't think it's right to try to force everyone to be okay with it. Yes, I know it's a natural thing and blah, blah, blah. And it is NOT like taking out a bottle or a jar of food. It's just like people making a huge deal over a 5 year old still breastfeeding. Maybe it's natural to them, but it's not stopping people from giving their disapproving opinions. If it's not right for a mother to breastfeed her 5 year old, then it's not right for a mother to expose herself in public. Bash all you want, but what I'm saying is reality.

And the only way to change "reality" and how our society views these sorts of things is to do them.   Hiding in a bathroom to avoid making someone uncomfortable will NOT help our daughters to grow up in a society where they can nurse their babies openly.     Who cares if it makes someone uncomfortable now, it means that less people will be uncomfortable with it later.

If you look at the links provided you will realize they ask her if she wouldnt mind going to a changing room. That is much cleaner than a bathroom. They have benches, and more have a cafe of some type. She was just being ridiculous.

I was replying more to Mocha, and in general about NIP and making it acceptable.... but again, I wouldn't go nurse in a dressing room either.   I don't need to hide to feed my child, the more people are around it, the more "normal" it will become.

And I did say it before... I don't know what this target is like, but at mine all the benches and cafe are beyond the check-out stands... so I couldn't take unpurchased merchendise there.   The only plan I could think of with seating is the shoe section... but then that's not much different than a corner of the womens clothing section. 

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I agree that in the middle of the aisle isn't appropriate, but I do not believe that a mom has to go hide to feed her child.

Quoting Imogine:

There is a place for that sort of thing and it's not in the middle of a department store.  I'm sorry.  I know bf-ing is important and I respect women who do it, but doing it in public is just not right to me.  I think you should atleast find a secluded place to do it where not many people will see.  I'm not saying be a shamed of it, but think about the kids when they see a boobie for the first time cause the mom at the mall whipped out her boob to feed her baby.  They're not gonna think that's what she's doing unless their parents explain it to them, but what about the pre-pubescent boys that get all immature about it?  Do you really wanna expose yourself to such immaturity?  I would atleast do it in private.  

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, it is not possible to feed your child in the car.

Quoting Imogine:

Oh jeeze it's not like the baby is gonna starve to death if you take ten minutes to walk to the car and feed it.  

Quoting AnotherKim:

Seriously? You would have just let your baby scream in hunger? I hate when I see women do that. I just want to scream at them to just whip out their boob or their bottle.

Quoting Tanya93:

Or moms could learn there is a time and place for everything.

I never would have sat down on a floor and whipped out a bottle.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I was wondering about the Target references.

Silly. This shit is why bfing doesn't enjoy the rainbows and unicorns that the acolytes would like it too.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM

Quoting aka_speezolove:

Don't waste your time. I tried to reason with her and figure out why that was not an option, but she clearly has no clue what she did was gross and why it was gross. I gave up trying to explain it.

Quoting LillyJDv3.0:

Yep... here if we see someone trying to change their baby on a table we are supposed to offer to show them where the restroom is with the changing table. If it's a man trying to change his baby, I clear out the women's restroom and let him go in there. Even if the restrooms were closed for remodeling there would have been somewhere to change the baby at. They aren't going to just not have a bathroom for their employees to use, and I'm sure an employee would have been able to show her a more out-of-the-way spot to change a diaper if there was no restroom to use

I explained several times about how walking around a store with a toddler, and a cart while trying to hold a baby in a way that would not release more poop would have been quite impossible.   Please don't act like I'm unable to explain when you're apparently just unable to comprehend.

Also, don't act like you "gave up", either.   You neglected to answer exactly WHY it's so disgusting or exactly HOW it could possibly contaminate anything at all.    It's baby poop that's not even getting close to any food, let alone exposed food...  it's not like it's cow shit I'm rubbing all over the fruits and veggies (oh, wait... )...

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Quoting stacymomof2:

To the above tree, there is a huge difference between feces and breastmilk! C'mon!  You can make people sick with that! Changing a diaper needs to be done in a bathroom!  Easting can be done in public areas, of course!

Oh, honey... we're on a totally different tangent.    I had to change my son in a store because the restrooms were closed.   It's not being compared to breastfeeding. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Do all Target shoppers have cars?

Quoting moneysaver6:

Sometimes, it is not possible to feed your child in the car.

Quoting Imogine:

Oh jeeze it's not like the baby is gonna starve to death if you take ten minutes to walk to the car and feed it.  

Quoting AnotherKim:

Seriously? You would have just let your baby scream in hunger? I hate when I see women do that. I just want to scream at them to just whip out their boob or their bottle.

Quoting Tanya93:

Or moms could learn there is a time and place for everything.

I never would have sat down on a floor and whipped out a bottle.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:37 AM

But the poop wasn't going to "dry" in the 3 minutes it took me to change his diaper.... and it wasn't going to be on the floor at all, so no chance of shoes walking on it and "pulverizing" it either....

And if it's the smell that's an issue, wouldn't walking THROUGH the store to either leave, or search out an employee contaminate more??   Not to mention the very real possibility of actual poop hitting the floor in that situation as well...   Wouldn't that make any child who has pooped in a store or resturant a "health hazard"?

Really, is it worse to change a diaper in a store, or get poop all over the floor, health hazard-wise?  I'm going to say that contact with actual poop in any part of the store is far more "risky", rude and disgusting.

Quoting jllcali:

Poop dries, and can float onto things. it gets pulverized by shoes walking on it, making it tiny airborne. Even not dry, it poses a hazard. We smell things when a small particle of something floats up into our nose, and lands on the olfactory nerve. So, if you smell something, it's because part of it is touching you. So, if you smell shit next to the apples, THERE ARE SHIT PARTICLES IN THE AIR next to the apples, and those particles will eventually stop floating in the air and land on whatever is there. This is precisely why there are food safety laws preventing shit, piss, blood, and other contaminants to be handled, stored or exposed in food handling areas.

If you had said you changed you kid on the floor of the clothing department, I'd agree that while it wasn't the best option, sometimes you do what you gotta do. But around food, that's fucking disgusting, rude, and a health hazard.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Then, please... explain.   Explain how changing a diaper on the floor could possibly even potentially contaminate packaged food in a cooler 3 feet above?   Because if there's some factual reason for it... sure.   But I've never heard of poop "dropletts" going anywhere outside of the diaper, or anything like that.

Even then, YOU were not in my shoes.   You were NOT in my situation with my child and the store I was in.   You cannot judge me for that simple fact alone.   Similar situations?  Yes... but not the same.   Even if there was a possability of contamination, I probably would have still made the same decision since doing anything else may have resulted in more contamination.    We all make the decision that we see to be best in the situation we are placed in. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)