Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kid ban

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM
  • 634 Replies
1 mom liked this
Some restaurants are banning kids under 8 and some theatres are banning kids under 17 from R movies on weekend nights

Good?
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM
41 moms liked this

I think so. I have two small children and there are certain restaurants that simply aren't appropriate for them.  I also appreciate being able to go out to eat (on the rare occasion I don't have my own children) and not have to hear someone else's. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM
54 moms liked this

Ridiculous.

The loudest and most boorish behaviour I have ever seen in a restaurant was a fat American tourist, about 45 years old.

While I have absolutely seen poorly behaved children, they are outnumbered every day of the week by drunk 22yos, arguing middle-aged couples, insulting and obnoxious just-past middle age women who think nothing of interrupting total strangers to tell them what they're doing wrong (yes, this actually happens in $34/plate restaurants, just as it does at Ihop)... who I'm pretty sure are not going to end up on the banned list any time soon.

I hate age discrimination in all of its forms.

TugBoatMama
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM
16 moms liked this

Whatevs. There are plenty of kid- friendly places to eat. And I hate going to the theaters anymore because there are just way too many kids trying to be cute while I am attempting to enjoy the film. I gave up on it long ago.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Tanya93:

Some restaurants are banning kids under 8 Not sure if this is good or not, honestly.  and some theatres are banning kids under 17 from R movies on weekend nights  I like this idea.

Good?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM
19 moms liked this

It's okay with me. I have a 5 year old but that doesn't always me i want to share my meals with children. There are plenty of options for families, children don't NEED to be everywhere.

marissaj125
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM
31 moms liked this

No. How else will a child learn to act in public if they are banned? Plus, thanks to a handfull of bad parents, now we have to suffer? Crock of shit.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Quoting marissaj125:

No. How else will a child learn to act in public if they are banned? Plus, thanks to a handfull of bad parents, now we have to suffer? Crock of shit.

yup

RLT2
by Member on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:57 PM
14 moms liked this

Aren't kids under 17 banned from R movies anyway?

Tanya93
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM
12 moms liked this
Quoting marissaj125:

So other people should be disturbed in some restaurants because parents don't know how to control their kids or don't care to control them?
stormcris
by Christy on Dec. 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Hmmmm

We have this great restaurant in town that is a bar as well. It doesn't discriminate against age entirely it just made three sections, one is the bar area which is available to only 18 years and older to eat in then in the next area it is for families and the last area is for parties. Each are closed off to the other via doors that dampen sounds. To me it makes more sense to have this set up to cater to all individuals at least from a business perspective.

The movies in many towns have certain bans on teens due to violence on the weekends and general disruptiveness. As almost all theaters have at least two showings it would seem that if they had one rated R selection and one PG or lower selection that it is trying to cater to people who do not wish to be harassed by loud teens who make comments during movies. It also could be handled that they banned people who were disruptive entirely so I seems that they are doing things that are productive to getting more people in to the showings which makes sense for that business.

Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Louis D. Brandeis
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)