Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Gender issues-public bathrooms.

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 212 Replies

Okay, this is a man from my hometown, who identifys as a woman, story is beautiful, and he walks with pride which is great. I'll be honest this is not something ordinary for my neck of the woods, and he gets a LOT of gawking and staring, I even admit I saw him in the mall once and did a few double-takes... And holy crap he can pull off a miniskirt better than any woman I know!

Buttttt: I'm sorry, I really, really REALLY would not feel comfurtable sharing a FEMALE bathroom with someone like this. I mean, he has a BEARD. Sure he identifies himself as female, and dresses the part, but at the end of the day, this is CLEARLY a man in a dress. I dont mean to sound rude, but C'mon.

FLR0403HALE

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifestyles/flair/2011/apr/03/tdflair01-a-secret-no-more-ar-939110/

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I wish I had her legs.

In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing. ~Robert Ingersoll (RIP Resamerie)

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I already have a thread kinda about this. My question to you is would you feel better if she shaved off her beard? I think it is great that she is being herself. And honestly, if she is anything like my wife, she does put herself in danger and goes into the men's bathroom to keep women like you from being offended or scared. So sad but true.

danie24
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I think public places need to add an extra bathroom. One bathroom for anyone.. male, female or trans.

Personally, if I was trans I wouldn't feel comfortable going into either bathroom for fear of my own safety. People are scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I guess my question to you, OP, is this:  Knowing her entire background story, would your feelings on the issue change at all if her face looked more typically feminine?

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM
7 moms liked this
As long as she doesn't piss all over the damn toilet seat, I can deal. The stalls are individual. I have met some very creepy ass women in public restrooms. And children who are old enough to know better peeping under stall. Can we get rid of them in public bathrooms?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I see your point. He probably feels safer in the womens restroom. Unfortunately the women probably dont share the same thought.

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

To answer the question as to whether I would feel better if this person shaved their beard and "looked more the part"... My answer is - probably not.

I get that it must be hard for individuals such as this person to go out and try to live a "normal" life... But gender is sooooo engrained into our genetics, and from what Discovery Health Channel has taught me, those who actually honestly do identify themselves as the opposite gender from the genetalia they sport, its really all a matter of brain development, and they truely and sincerely ARE the opposite gender brain-wise, its just the parts dont match-up.

As for people like myself who's wiring and anatomy line up, gender is the same strong intense feeling I assume, and we tend to group together penis/no penis as a ways to identify gender, because it is SOOOOO engrained into our history, way of thinking, and how our brain is trained to identify other humans.

Maybe people such as this man arent asking TOO much for us to re-train our entire biological way of thinking, or maybe they are... But in the end, my personal belief is that its requesting too much out of us to just not identify gender off of the way you either look, or the genitals you posses.

Sure, people like myself can TRY and accomadate transgendered people, but its a lot to ask and deliver, I'm not being rude, or atleast I'm not trying to be, but I'm being HONEST.

I also agree there should be a spereate bathroom labeled "everyone" or something like that. Using a public restroom is not a common "destination"(as in, not somewhere you look forward to going) as it is, but atleast when we go out of the house, we know that we'll be in the comfort of our own gender if we need to use a public facility(or atleast we SHOULD have that comfort).

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM
6 moms liked this

When I use the ladies' room I go into a stall and don't leave it until my pants are back on. I don't care about anyone else's gender or sex, as long as they stay out of my stall and are just using the bathroom for normal activities.

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Well thats the thing, a great many public places OFFER a FAMILY restroom for the comfort of everyone...

They should also have a bathroom for transgendered people or what have you for the comfort/ease of all.

Quoting jllcali:

As long as she doesn't piss all over the damn toilet seat, I can deal. The stalls are individual. I have met some very creepy ass women in public restrooms. And children who are old enough to know better peeping under stall. Can we get rid of them in public bathrooms?

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know where everyone lives but where I live bathrooms have stalls....we don't pee in front of each other. I don't "share" a toilet with anyone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured