Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I won't tolerate....

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 49 Replies
The discussion on whether you would tell your children who they can be friends with got me to thinking: what kinds of behavior will you not tolerate? Is it different for friends, lovers, spouses, kids, family?

For me, I won't tolerate criminal behavior from friends or potential boyfriends (past is negotiable but nothing current.) For my kids, I don't think there is anything that would make me disown them but I would be greatly disappointed if they became criminals.

I also don't have patience/tolerance for game playing, lying, and drama. I'm going to be honest with you and would appreciate the same.

I'm sure there are others I will think of later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

It's absolutely different for different people. 

I don't have total control over my family, for instance, and there are behaviors I tolerate because I really don't have a choice.  I have a sister in law who behaves poorly, in my opinion, in a variety of areas, but I don't speak up because it would only cause dissension in the family.  My spouse, I speak up LOL.  My kids, I speak up. 

punky3175
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM
I definitely understand the family side. My mom has brothers and sisters who are rather trashy but she determined before I was born that I wouldn't have much to do with them as I was growing up. As a result my kids have never met that part of my family and I feel like my family is me, kids and my mom.

Quoting romalove:

I don't have total control over my family, for instance, and there are behaviors I tolerate because I really don't have a choice.  I have a sister in law who behaves poorly, in my opinion, in a variety of areas, but I don't speak up because it would only cause dissension in the family.  My spouse, I speak up LOL.  My kids, I speak up. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Quoting punky3175:

I definitely understand the family side. My mom has brothers and sisters who are rather trashy but she determined before I was born that I wouldn't have much to do with them as I was growing up. As a result my kids have never met that part of my family and I feel like my family is me, kids and my mom.

Quoting romalove:

I don't have anything to do with my family of origin at this point.  I am in touch with a few of my cousins, but my parents and siblings, not anymore.  I have control over that side of the family, what is acceptable to me and what is not.  But sister in law is on my husband's side of the family, and I am not willing to make waves for him and my in laws because she's an idiot. 

RobinChristine
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM

My son is special needs so for me children are out of play here.

I will not and do not tolerate drinking,street drugs,excessive bad language,lies and disrespect

punky3175
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Bigots are another thing I won't tolerate and will call it out when I see it.  Especially when the same thing is repeated time and time again.

kleea1969
by Kristine on Jan. 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Meanness from anyone in my life. If they can't be civil I have no use for them. I don't expect kindness at every turn but I do expect the people around me not to set out to hurt others. Criminal behavior isn't something I would want to surround myself with either. From my children it would depend on the behavior. I wouldn't ever write them off but some crimes might make me feel differently. I demand respect from those I love as well. I give it give it back.
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

BUMP!

_Bama_
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Drama... the minute you bring drama into my life... we gotta start going our separate ways.. I have a peaceful homelife here...and I will make sure it stays that way. If that means cutting a person from my life.. I do it.

sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I used to tolerate a lot of behaviors(backstabbing, lying to name a few) for the sake of family and friends as I am not really a confrontational person. I like to keep the peace if you know what I mean. But, recently I had an epiphany and got rid of some toxic friends and family who were causing problems and stirring the pot. Some people are attracted to drama and will suck you in if you're not careful. I am much happier now and my life is simpler.

bozobean
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Lies, drugs, criminal activity. People telling me what to do about things that are my business and decision, especially if they're sanctimonious and don't practice what they preach. I also hate people who give ultimatums.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)