Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of gay child thread

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 120 Replies
What would your reaction be if your child told you they were transgender (i.e. A different gender than the one that matches the sex they were assigned at birth)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Still wouldn't change my love for them or how I feel.  I would do my best to be supportive and help them be happy.

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:07 PM
I would take the appropriate steps to lead to them feeling comfortable in their body ie counselling and transitioning them into whichever gender they idenify with. It would be hard but I would make sure that my dd truly understood what she/he wanted and arm her/him with the tools to understand and transition. I love her no matter what and it would be a change for everyone and no doubt we would lose some family and maybe friends but her mental health means more than social uncomfortability.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Travelagtmom
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Knowing me, I'd probably ask their new name so I could get a new address stamp for them. I really don't care as long as they are happy. That being said, its never come up in my family but my 54 year old cousin is going through some process...I am not close to him, but he waited till both his parents died to do anything about it. Sad...
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:11 PM
I would struggle with this more than if they told me they were gay. I would accept them and would do my best to support them through their search for their identity, but I would have a great deal of sorrow and would have to find my own support to help me come to terms with it.
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

They can do that when the move out. I'm not playing that game at all. While they live with me they will be boys and called by the names I named them. I wouldn't even take it seriously until they were in their late teens and 20s.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM
game? Seriously? You think it is a game? And you wouldn't even recognize it until they were about 30....so your happiness is more important than their's?

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

They can do that when the move out. I'm not playing that game at all. While they live with me they will be boys and called by the names I named them. I wouldn't even take it seriously until they were in their late teens and 20s.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Ehhh, it's all appearance, and that does not come in high on my radar. As long as the reason is so that they are happy. I wouldn't care.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Well then, Kaelan would still be my child.. I just want for him to be happy, period. The happiness of my child is what matters to me.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM
I would find a therapist who specializes I the field and make an appt. I would listen to everything my kid had to say and go from there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I would have a harder time with this than if one of the said they were gay not because I have an issue with it but because I know the road they are about to go down isn't easy.  I would make sure they are in counseling and if it becomes appropriate we would be seeking the help of physicians.  I would accept my child for who they are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN