Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New peanut butter Cheerios triggers anger from parents

Posted by   + Show Post

New peanut butter Cheerios triggers anger from parentsPublished 

Cheerios has just launched a new flavor — peanut butter — and the reaction in some homes has not been what the company might have expected.

“People are very upset about it,” said Gina Clowes, founder of Allergy Moms, a national support group.

“I know some allergy families that currently buy Cheerios are vowing not to buy them at all for fear of cross contact while processing and to avoid confusion in their own homes.”

It seems that although the new flavor’s box makes it clear that these are a new kind of Cheerios, the cereal itself is hard to distinguish from the original. This issue is especially troubling to parents because Cheerios are so often carted in baggies by toddlers who share them freely.

“It has become the norm to have toddlers walking around with bags of cereal to snack on,” Clowes said. “Toddlers are notoriously messy eaters. It [would] be difficult to distinguish this variety from ones that are ‘safe’ and one misplaced peanut butter Cheerio can cause a serious reaction.”

I called the Cheerios media relations staff and am awaiting a reply.

Many parents who do not have an allergy-suffering child might roll their eyes at the concern. But allergies can be terribly severe.

Just last week, a Virginia first-grader died after a friend shared a peanut with her on the playground.

A well-regarded national study published in the journal Pediatrics this past summer estimated that 8 percent of children — that’s 5.9 million kids — suffer from food allergies.

The report also found that close to 40 percent of those children suffer severe reactions.

Though it remains unclear why the food allergies have spread and intensified in recent years, any parent of an allergy-sufferer knows that weathering a child’s food sensitivities is frightening terrain.

Given the modern ubiquity of allergies, do manufacturers of children’s food have an extra responsibility to be sensitive to food allergies?

If so, how?

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Replies (31-40):
gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My first reaction is "good grief"- but I can be dismissive because i don't have a child that has those types of allergies, I might feel differently if I did- so on this one I guess I'd defer to the parents who struggle with this issue.

ecagle
by Kegel on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM
4 moms liked this

Speaking from a place where I DO understand keeping food away from a toddler.  I had a toddler who could not have gluten/dairy/soy for about 2 years.  They weren't immediately life-threatening allergies (like his allergy to motrin), but he had nutrient malabsorbtion, painful tummy aches etc.

NOW...one of the few things he COULD have was peanut butter and peanut butter cereals.  Because of his food issues, I ALWAYS packed his own thing, he knew to ask mommy or daddy before eating ANYTHING, and he didn't share his food with others unless he asked their parents beforehand.  

I get that people are allergic to nuts.  But there are other allergies too...many life-threatening.  What about shellfish?  Should we make schools shellfish free as well?  What about possible cross-contamination with tuna?  Wheat allergies can also be life-threatening...should schools be wheat free???  I don't know a single parent asking for that and in the case that their child DID have those issues, they would make their food....

jaysmommy04
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this

People are ridiculous.  Honestly people.  Are we just looking for reasons to be unhappy and complain? lol.  It seems like we have to make mountains out of mole hills out of everything now.  Here's a thought,  look at what you are buying.  If you get the wrong box, take it back to the store for an exchange.  If you are worried about what other kids are carrying and may give to your child.. I say, if they have that bad of a allergy to food, they shouldn't be taking food from anyone else in the first place.  Give them their own snacks, and tell them they are not to take snacks from anyone else or it could land them in the hospital if they eat the wrong thing ( the last part for older kids). 

And people wonder why health concerns are on the rise.  IDK, but maybe all the extra unnecessary stress people put on themselves might be helping to contribute to that. 

Dragonmamas
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

LOL. Are we being forced to buy this product? No, we are not. If you're that concerned for your child's safety, you wont buy Cheerios. Period. Do people really have nothing better to do than to sit around and look for things like this to complain about?

RoguesMommy
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

what? theres been honey nut cheerios forever, y would they be mad over peanut butter cheerios?!!

MommaKayMarie
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

If your so worried about it talk to the school about not allowing the children to take snacks to the playground. Keep it in the lunch room or at the snack table where it belongs. Also if your child has an allergy make it clear to them that it's not okay to take food from friends or to give their food to friends.

stinkerbelle28
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM

What would they like them to do to differntiate them?  Make them green?  WTF?  How would you know the difference from plain cheerios and honey nut cheerios anyway, I dont see the difference.  If your kid is allergic to peanuts just dont feed them cheerios or only feed them the fuit ones that are colored so you know the difference.  I bought a box of the peanut butter ones and I must admit I was not wowed or anything, but if I want to buy them for myself or my kids I should have the option to do so.

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Get over it. Teach your child to ask you before taking food from anyone. I have food dye allergies and have had them since I was fairly young but guess what I pay attention to what I eat and don't expect anyone to kiss my ass and bow down because of it

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

PitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh FFS. If you have a peanut allergy, then DON'T BUY THEM. Why should the rest of the world suffer because you don't want them? Seriously, I am tired of the people with food allergies thinking they can dictate what everyone else should be eating. My kid has an allergy to red dye, but you don't see me freaking out about every product that is made with Red Dye 40. I just avoid them.

Briggswife09
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM
3 moms liked this

Wow! This is just ridiculous. I have never let my children as babies/toddlers share or take food from strangers or even friends unless we were at there house hanging out for long periods of time. I have made sure they know they are not to share food with people and guess what my kids dont even have allergies. My mom is deathly allergic to bananas but does that keep her from buying them and keeping them in her house for my brother or me (when i was living at home) or my kids when they are around to visit? no. People just need to grow up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)