Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Define the term, "Race Card"

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 1249 Replies
9 moms liked this

Race card, to me, is only played by white people who accuse black people of playing it as a means of discouraging black people from talking about racial discrimination and racism.

What does the term mean to you?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:23 AM
19 moms liked this

I think that many/most of us white people are not racist and AA are still looking for offense when it isnt there.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:34 AM
36 moms liked this

The Race Card is played anytime someone uses race to either benefit his position or to defend his actions and is used by implying that another or others are being racist.

I disagree that only white people play it.

Sherri

Imagine.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jehosoba84:

I think that many/most of us white people are not racist and AA are still looking for offense when it isnt there.

Okay...so you didn't want to share your definition of race card?

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting PurdueMom:

The Race Card is played anytime someone uses race to either benefit his position or to defend his actions and is used by implying that another or others are being racist.

Yes, this.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Quoting PurdueMom:

Race can be used as means of benefitting one's position?  How so?  In what way(s)?

Can/will you give an example of how the "race card" is used to defend actions?

If one infers another is implying racism, isn't the one inferring playing the race card and not the one implying?

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting jehosoba84:

the above poster did a good job. I'll post one tho...

Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to exploitation of either racist or (more frequently) anti-racist attitudes to gain a personal advantage, typically by falsely accusing others of racism against oneself.   ~wikipedia

Funny

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting PurdueMom:

Yes, this.

Care to have a go at the questions I posed of PerdueMom?

LabTech211
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM
This.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kleea1969
by Kristine on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I think race card meaning is when someone wants to manipulate a situation. They may say its discrimination to work something to their benefit. This is a touchy phrase. I am not so sure it even exists in meaning. I think it's all about perception. The person who is getting accused of using a race card may truly feel wronged. Others perceive it different so scream race card.
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Quoting jehosoba84:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting jehosoba84:

the above poster did a good job. I'll post one tho...

Playing the race card is an idiomatic phrase that refers to exploitation of either racist or (more frequently) anti-racist attitudes to gain a personal advantage, typically by falsely accusing others of racism against oneself.   ~wikipedia

So you agree with the pp that blacks are in the habit of falsely accusing others of racism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)