Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

O/T Making a child/baby feel better.. ?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 7 Replies

My son (14 months) is coming down with a cold, I think. He started showing symptoms yesterday (runny nose, sneezing). He is definitely not feeling good as he's been more clingy and fussy than normal. This is new territory for me.. My son never gets sick.

What is something that you do (or did) for your children when they are (or were) sick to make them more comfortable? Is there any food you gave them that made them feel better? 

Any ideas are appreciated. I feel so bad for him. He's napping right now but he went down for a nap much earlier than normal. Last night he woke up screaming and it took a while to get him to calm down.. :-(

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I always just nursed my kids when they were that age.  I remember my first got really sick at about 16 months.   Fever, constantly sleeping, miserable little thing.   I sat in a chair all day just nursing him and letting him sleep on me and watching lifetime movies, and he was better the next day!  :)

For weaned kids... chicken soup, sprite and they get to sleep in mommy and daddy's bed and watch movies, if they want.   I usually stay closeby or will let them sleep on me if possible, I know that's a huge comfort and I like to monitor their temperature. 

alli286
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Johnson and Johnson make a menthol baby wash. I would use that, lots of fluids, and cuddles on the couch watching Barbie movies (I have girls).

Tanya93
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM

tapioca pudding. 

I also ran a humidifier constantly and covered his chest with Vics baby rub

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

You have to make sure that his nose is clear, so he can more easily breathe.

Get some saline nose spray...he will hate it. Lots of fluid, humidifier, Vicks and Tylenol if a fever arises (dose to weight). Fluids and watery foods are needed- Fluid levels affect temperature; dehydration causes temps to ^.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Popsicles and cuddles is what's worked for mine, so far.  They are 3 and 1.  When they've both had fevers, they liked to sleep on us until the medicine worked.  Recently, the nurse recommended a 1/4 tsp of honey for LO's cough.  

Hope your littly guy feels better soon!

~So I let go of all the big deals, I let go of the bitter dream. You see the girl in the pretty white picture, well it's never what it really seems.~
cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM
My DH used to rub vicks between his hands until it got warm and then put his hand on little Guy's chest. Or I would rub some on me and snuggle baby, because it's the smell that works. Usually we just keep noise down low and leave off as many lights as possible. Encourage sleep, and snuggle when ever they want. Cooled pepermint tea with a little honey works great if they are over a year.
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Jan. 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Thanks for the responses ladies. 

He's been getting lots of fliuds (He drinks water like a camel, anyway. lol). I'll get out his humidifier and see if that helps a little. 

He woke up from his nap and seems to be feeling a little better but he's still very snuggly right now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)