• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is a preacher giving an opinion on Political issues wrong?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM
  • 55 Replies

Would/Should that make them lose their tax free status?  Or whatever thats called.

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bossygrand
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

good question, wonder if anyone will no the answer..

RowdyRoxyRainbw
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

a friend of mine was watching their church program today, and he was bringing up how he thinks president Obamas policies where not good for the nation, and to vote for what you believe is in your heart that God would want you to vote for.  I personally got offended.   It's not his place to tell me who or who I shouldnt vote for in a round about way.

Quoting bossygrand:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM
2 moms liked this

They should lose it , they are using their captive audience to campaign for a political candidate / party...

I don't think they should enjoy tax free status ANYWAY...

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

That's really testing the boundries.  He implied not to vote for Obama but didn't come out and say it directly.  They can not endorse a candidate.  

Would you be offended if the statement was the other way around, the Obama is good for the nation,and to vote how God would want you two?

What if the church drives it members (the elderly members or ones without cars)  to the polling place? Should they loose thier tax free status over that?

Quoting RowdyRoxyRainbw:

a friend of mine was watching their church program today, and he was bringing up how he thinks president Obamas policies where not good for the nation, and to vote for what you believe is in your heart that God would want you to vote for.  I personally got offended.   It's not his place to tell me who or who I shouldnt vote for in a round about way.

Quoting bossygrand:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

They should lose it , they are using their captive audience to campaign for a political candidate / party...

All churches or mega churches?  I think the mega churches should be taxed. (like Joel Olesteens)

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:11 PM

All churches, they turn a profit they should be taxed ....

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

All churches or mega churches?  I think the mega churches should be taxed. (like Joel Olesteens)

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Not all churches turn a profit.. some are struggling from month to month to pay the light bill.

Taxing churches will never happen here.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Business' and FAMILIES are also struggling to pay their light bill (ask Romney, he just bought a vote , I mean used campaign funds to pay a womans light bill) How does that concern me?

They take in money, that's their hustle...its taxable income. It's total bullshit that they pay no taxes

Quoting tooptimistic:

Not all churches turn a profit.. some are struggling from month to month to pay the light bill.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

No joke sweets.. but churches (mosques and synagogs too) pay for alot of light bills for the poor too.  Who do you go too when you need help?  You need the local food pantry?

Maybe if Obama would have came through on that hope and change, we wouldn't be struggling the way we are..  ;)  Oh wait, hope and change aren't policies, they are just empty words.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Business' and FAMILIES are also struggling to pay their light bill (ask Romney, he just bought a vote , I mean used campaign funds to pay a womans light bill) How does that concern me?

They take in money, that's their hustle...its taxable income. It's total bullshit that they pay no taxes

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Idk about the official legality of it, but if a candidate's beliefs about what should/shouldnt happen in our country directly condradicts that specific religion, I think preaching against them should be allowed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)