Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Role Models For Our Daughters

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Who in the public eye do you hope your daughter might consider a role model? For those without daughters, who is a woman you admire? And I get that many will name their own female relatives, but I'm more asking about women who get enough press for their accomplishments that they should have a certain expectation to become role models (if that happens to still be a relative, then by all means, lol). I ask in light of the recent Miss America pageant, where, really, Miss America's sole purpose is to essentially be "a role model, giving back" yadda yadda... And I got to wondering what type of woman other mothers tend to admire? 

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I'll go first :)

Lisa Randall, Physicist:

Sorry pic is so big, I just copy and paste...

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

punky3175
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Condoleeza Rice, Angelina Jolie (post adoption of Maddox) because of all of the humanitarian work she does. I'm sure there are others that I'll agree with as more moms post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM

nice, I like both of those :)

Quoting punky3175:

Condoleeza Rice, Angelina Jolie (post adoption of Maddox) because of all of the humanitarian work she does. I'm sure there are others that I'll agree with as more moms post.

RissyLee
by Rissy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Ellen DeGeneres
Gina Keatley
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silvercrow
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Every single Straight Gay Erotic Fiction writer i know like me are some of the best role models for my girls... I agree with Angelia and Ellen and i might toss in Rosie for good Measure

RissyLee
by Rissy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Mary Murphy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RissyLee
by Rissy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Idina Menzel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I hope my daughter doesn't try to emulate anyone in the media, and that includes actresses.  I don't think there's anyone there right now I think is a great role model for kids.  It most certainly would NOT be anyone running in a Beauty Pageant, and I always laugh whenever a contestant says they want to be a role model... so they want to teach young girls that they should use their good looks to get somewhere?  I don't think so. 

I would also hope that my child would not want to emulate anyone in politics either.  For the most part, they are all crooks who stepped on people to get to where they are.  Hopefully my child will pick someone they admire, who didn't trample on others to get anywhere.

RissyLee
by Rissy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Jane Lynch
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I am/was my daughter's primary role model.

She is active, tough, independent, compassionate, smart, hardworking and a good decision maker.

She is 24, has her MA and lives and works in So America-

We are very proud of her choices and accomplishments.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)