Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about networks OK'ing religious ads to run during NFL games?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 15 Replies

Focus on the Family Ad Inspired by Tim Tebow Is Too Extreme for NFL (VIDEO)

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 15, 2012

focus on the family john 3:16 adTim Tebow may not have had an opportunity to genuflect and get on America's nerves last night, but that's okay, because the staunch anti-abortion, evangelical Christian group Focus on the Family stepped up to the plate to do that for him. Inspired by the "miracle of John 3:16" that went down at last week when the Broncos faced off against the Steelers, the socially conservative group used the verse in a quickly pulled-together advertisement, which aired during last night's highly anticipated Broncos-Patriots game

But anyone who has a bone to pick with the ad can't blame Tebow. The QB and his mom did do a controversial Focus on the Family commercial in 2010, but this time around, his involvement was truly indirect at most. No, the finger-pointing here should be directed at the network that approved the ad: CBS.

Feeling darn good about carrying one of the biggest games of the season, I guess the network figured they had nothing to lose ... That if Focus on the Family wanted to cough up the cash to nab that ad space, why not let 'em? But the danger of that is letting a good ol' football game be overshadowed by a divisive message.

Even FOX Sports (!!) knew better last year when they rejected a similar John 3:16-themed commercial for the Super Bowl, explaining that the network "does not accept advertising from religious organizations for the purpose of advancing particular beliefs and practices." Wow. And yet, CBS couldn't resist, huh?

Focus on the Family spokesman Gary Schneeberger says they have every right to advertise, since "it's OK to shove Doritos down people's throats, and cars and everything else," so it should be okay to do the same with religion. I beg to differ. FOTF is an organization with extreme, polarizing beliefs. To compare those beliefs to snacks or automobiles is ridiculous! People may prefer BMWs over Lexuses or Sam Adams over Bud Light, but no one's going to feel like their appetite for the game's been ruined if they see an ad related to one of those products. On the other hand, religious, moralistic ads like Focus on the Family's simply do not speak to a wide enough audience and could be considered offensive to many. 

In the end, CBS's decision to run the ad has no concrete repercussions. It's not like NFL fans who weren't down with the ad can really boycott the network the next time it airs a big game. But those of us who opposed the decision should still raise our voices and let it be known that in the future, we're not interested in being served up a plate of football with a heaping side of righteous beliefs.

Here's the ad if you didn't catch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beoRa_HR8o

What do you think about networks OK'ing religious ads to run during NFL games?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Doesn't bother me.
Ann7227
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Great !!! About time we have commercials with  good messages. Don't get me wrong I love the funny commercials but the last 2 years there haven't been any good ones.  So bring them on !!!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Doesn't bother me at all. There are religious ads on all the time. They pay REALLY good money to purchase advertising spots.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Poor Tim.  He is getting all kinds of craps from all sides.

The way money talks, it does not surprise me at all when any type of commercial is aired.

You turn the sound down when the commericlas come on.  You look away.  Or you just don't watch the game.

I don't agree with the 'messages' out out there by these groups.  But I am not going to miss the Super Bowl because of them.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Dont care as I am not watching the game so I wont have to see it.

punky3175
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:41 PM
I don't watch sports so it makes no difference to me and everything I DO watch is usually DVR'ed so I can fast forward through commercials.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
I don't care! I already see plenty of crappy commercials. It'll be nice to see something that's good and positive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont mind. Just like I dont buy every product advertised on tv, I dont buy any religion advertised, either. Wheres the uproar over the barrage of Mormon commercials they've had lately (these are showing in more then just my region, right)? They pay for it, it's not endorsed by the government, so...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Just wanted to add, saw the commercial in question...made me want to gag, but I still think if you want to pay to advertise that, go for it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing wrong with it. It's called capitalism
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)