Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Computer free day.

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter (12) has a friend over.  Now, this isn't your average friend.  This kiddo is like family.   Not sure if that is relevant but there it is.

When I spoke with S's mom earlier, about her coming over to spend the night, I made mention of today being a 'computer free' day.  Meaning, no computer at all.  Do something else, something constructive, use your imagination for goodness sakes. lol

She agreed, saying this is a great idea.

Her daughter shows up and has her laptop with her.  She immediately goes to get on the laptop upon her arrival.  I looked at her mom.  Mom shrugged, saying S didn't want to be without it.

Would you have told her no laptop or let her sit there and surf all day?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Told her no

Computer free day in this home today
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have said no. If your (general) child is going over to someone else's house then that child needs to respect the rules of that person's house as well.  

punky3175
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I would be extremely confused. Why does she need her laptop for a sleepover? I bought one for my daughter for her birthday this year to do homework on and I can't get her to take it to her dad's on his weekends.

I probably would have asked her to put it away and explained the "computer free" day idea. And I may have gone as far as to disconnect internet service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Unless they were on the organ transplant list, my kids would have left the electronics at home.

kleea1969
by Kristine on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM
No laptop. My house, my rules, even for the kids that have a special place :).
kleea1969
by Kristine on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Oh you meant the mom telling her child no. I absolutely would. I would never let my child disrespect another adults rules in this way. It's also disrespectful to the adult as a person. I let a lot of things go this I wouldn't. I would feel I betrayed you by allowing my child to do something you specifically asked not to. No way, no lap top.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I asked mom to take laptop home with her.  She was a tad reluctant because 'S wants it with her'.  Meh, this kiddo goes no where without her laptop and her phone.  It won't kill her to do without for one day.  

She did but S was not too happy about it.  Oh well, they knew prior to coming over that it is a computer free day.  Wasn't going to happen, her keeping it here.

They are outside now.  I told them to get out of the house and not to come back in for at least an hour.  It is nice out today.  They are saying a lot of snow is coming and some rain.  Get out there and enjoy it while you can!!!!!

As they walked out the doors, the cell phone was checked at the door.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kleea1969:

Oh you meant the mom telling her child no. I absolutely would. I would never let my child disrespect another adults rules in this way. It's also disrespectful to the adult as a person. I let a lot of things go this I wouldn't. I would feel I betrayed you by allowing my child to do something you specifically asked not to. No way, no lap top.

Ya, I wasn't too happy to know that mom completely disregarded the no computer day.  It wasn't like she didn't know how I felt about those damn computers today and that she didn't agree.

Kind of hypocritical, I suppose.  Considering I have been on and off the computer myself all day. 

This is the part of being a mom I like at times.  tee hee

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting kleea1969:

Ya, I wasn't too happy to know that mom completely disregarded the no computer day.  It wasn't like she didn't know how I felt about those damn computers today and that she didn't agree.

Kind of hypocritical, I suppose.  Considering I have been on and off the computer myself all day. 

This is the part of being a mom I like at times.  tee hee

omg. I would so do that too. No computer, after I check facebook, CM and my email.  And don't mind me when I do it again in a few hours. LOL..   ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)