Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Madonna's 'I need a man' Confession Is Honest & Refreshing"

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM
  • 7 Replies

Madonna's 'I Need a Man' Confession Is Honest & Refreshing

Posted by Maressa Brown on January 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

madonna on 20/20
Madonna addresses her love life on 20/20Madonna's full-on media storm appears to be underway, as she prepares to perform at the Super Bowl, release a new album, and make her directorial debut with the flick W.E. She'll be on 20/20 tonight chatting with Cynthia McFadden in an "unplugged" interview, and already some of the juicy tidbits have leaked. Apparently, although Madge "feels about interviews the same way most of us feel about root canals," she didn't mind dishing a bit on one topic that's usually off-the-table in celeb tête-à-têtes: Her love life.

In a quote that's sure to get twisted all different ways, the twice-divorced icon acknowledged that although she's seen as a fiercely self-reliant, sexual role model, she's really no different than most of us when it comes to matters of the heart.

She said of dating 24-year-old Brahim Zaibat:

I don't want to live my life on my own. I love being a mother. My children fill me up in many ways, and inspire me in many ways, but I need a partner in my life and I think most people feel that way.

Madonna also noted that there are "certain things" she misses about being married, such as "being a part of a family unit" and "not having to make all the decisions on my own." Whoa! Definitely kinda shocking coming from someone we've all assumed since 1983 was the reigning Independent Woman.

But I actually really LOVE that she's come out with this, because it raises a very poignant truth: You can totally be a fiercely independent, strong, sexual woman and still need partnership. Not in a co-dependent way, but in a romantic way. Despite gains by women like Madonna and our Sex and the City heroines, it feels sometimes like society is stuck in Betty Draper's 1962 and only gives us one choice or the other: Sexy & Strong or Domestic & Subservient ... and that's just total bunk! It's an antiquated, sexist idea that being outspoken and strong on your own is automatically synonymous with being a cold-hearted bitch who abhors companionship.

Nine out of 10 times, I wouldn't believe a woman who is perpetually single (by choice or otherwise) who tells me she's happy ... or happier than she would be with the right partner. It's BS. We all want fulfilling sex, someone we choose as our family (even if the family we create is a cozy party of two), help around the house, someone we can bounce ideas off of and offer a shoulder to cry on. But above all of that, we all want -- and deserve! -- to be loved and love someone else. Hence why Madonna shouldn't get any flak for these remarks -- I'll bet most women identifies with what she's saying.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/131520/madonnas_i_need_a_man

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I agree with her and I am sure she will get alot of flak for it.

o0orange0o
by Melani on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM
I'm wondering why the article's title misquoted Madonna. Isn't she bisexual?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Quoting o0orange0o:

I think because it is 'taboo" for a woman to say that she needs a man. Women are supposed to be strong and indepent and not need any man. :P You know, get more people read to it.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Quoting o0orange0o:

'Cause it's a blog, not an article. Blogs are heavy on emotion, light on facts. The titles are supposed to be eye catching.

"I need a partner" isn't very intriguing.

-TheDuchess-
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Quoting o0orange0o:

I was thinking the same thing...

Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:44 PM
To be honest, I'd forgotten about that -Probably since she's only been linked to men for years.

Quoting o0orange0o:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM
There is a difference between 'need' and 'want.' I'd love to find the right partner to share my life with but until that happens I'm not going to just settle for someone - more trouble than it's worth. I keep attracting those guys who want to 'rescue me' or wants me to take care of them like a mother would. I will raise the kids I gave birth to, but will not raise a grown man. I want a true partner and until I find that I will be happier with just me and the kids.

As for Madonna saying this, I'm sure she'll get a lot of flak for it but I admire that she came out and said it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)