Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have Your Political Views Changed In The Last Four Years?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
  • 27 Replies

Have your political views changed in the last four years?  Or, if you've always voted for a particular party in the past, do you feel like that party has left you in the last four years?  What has changed for you and why?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

For me, I've become really cynical these last four years.  I've been a lifelong Republican, but these last four years have made me feel like what I'd grown up believing was the political equivalent of having been sold oceanfront property in Idaho.  My DH and I were talking about this just the other night...We're not ready to declare ourselves Democrats yet, but I definitely no longer consider myself a Republican.  And to be honest, at this point I'm embarassed to admit that I ever was.  But acceptance is the first step toward recovery, they say.  LOL!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Hard one for me to admit. I was always staunchly Republican.

Yes, they've changed. While I am STILL very, very conservative PERSONALLY, I am politically a die-hard Libertarian now.

Why? Well, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to realize the less these nitwits are involved in our individual rights (and lives in general), the better. They can't even balance their budget, keep their goods in their pants, their mugs off reality television... and they fight worse than a group of 2 year olds; and we REALLY want to give them the right to determine our individual liberties (among other things)? The Republicans want to tell you what to do, but disguise it as "freedom" and "less government" (it is - so long as you view the world as they do); but the Dems want to get even more "up in your business" and promote larger government. Not cool either way.

I am a home educating, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home.             Aimee

www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

No. There is nothing appealing about republicans.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

So would you say that these last four years have strengthened your views, or have they stayed pretty much the same -- neither increased nor decreased?

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

For me, I've become really cynical these last four years.  I've been a lifelong Republican, but these last four years have made me feel like what I'd grown up believing was the political equivalent of having been sold oceanfront property in Idaho.  My DH and I were talking about this just the other night...We're not ready to declare ourselves Democrats yet, but I definitely no longer consider myself a Republican.  And to be honest, at this point I'm embarassed to admit that I ever was.  But acceptance is the first step toward recovery, they say.  LOL!

I was raised by liberal Democrats, who became disaffected with the party during the Carter years and became relatively conservative Republicans.  By the time I could cast my first vote for President, it was for Reagan.  I have been "mostly" Republican since then, but have been growing disaffected with the Republican party over the last ten years. 

I am thinking of declaring Independent, but what is stopping me is that I won't be able to participate in primaries.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

So would you say that these last four years have strengthened your views, or have they stayed pretty much the same -- neither increased nor decreased?

I feel like they've stayed the same.

~~Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power.~~

Lizardannie1966
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I've been a registered Independent for quite some time and will be making the official change to Republican as soon as possible.

For me, it's simply a matter of my personal views changing. My more conservative side is showing on many topics and political controversies than before. 

I'm also finding myself more tolerant on some issues and less tolerant on others, politically and socially. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Have your political views changed in the last four years?  Or, if you've always voted for a particular party in the past, do you feel like that party has left you in the last four years?  What has changed for you and why?

andiemomo3
by Andie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I'm still the same old mostly bleeding heart with a healthy dose of conservative thrown in there to really stir the pot up.

The only thing that's changed with me is that I have lost the tolerance to watch politics, talk politics or read politics. I can handle very small doses now. For the most part, though, I will just barely glance at anything political now. I am surrounded by people who have no love for anyone's views but their own and it's worn me out. And the nastiness of the last campaign from all parties that has carried over these past four years is just too much.
RissyLee
by Rissy on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM
I haven't really changed... I'm still for and against the same things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I was a Republican from age 18 (think the 70s) until 2005.I am now an Inde.

I realized I was being selfish and I was tired of being miserable-The R's are negative(overall) ,doom and gloom, party of "I" and "No." Life is too short and excess is too much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)