Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

For White Women Only

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
  • 1125 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you live in a predominantly white town?

Options:

I do; I have no contact with anyone of color

I do, but I work closely with someone of color

I do but I have a friend or family member of color

I live in a racially diverse town but have no friends of color

I live in a racially diverse town but know no one of color

Your options don't include one for me, and I'll explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 539

View Results

I read online that over 90% of the white people in this country will never come into contact with a person of color, not even as a clerk at the quickie mart.  That fact blows me away.  The KKK has a list of the 100 most white cities and towns in the country so you know for a fact these places exist.

I don't really have a question but feel free to share your thoughts.

by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM
11 moms liked this

You don't have an option of "I live in a diverse town and know a bunch of people of color" so I voted the last option.  I've had several friends growing up that were not white and dated a few of them.  I never actually saw color.  The only time I did notice it was when I went to college.  The college town was very white, and it was actually shock factor going back to visit where I grew up (and live now).  I didn't realize how adjusted I had gotten to such a white town until I went back to my roots :)  Now its normal again and didn't take long at all.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this
Western Washington is pretty diverse. Where I live there is a nice mix of people. My kids school is pretty diverse. I do have friends of color.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
25 moms liked this
90% sounds pretty ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I live in a predominantly white community.  There are people of color and I do come into contact with minorities but I don't personally know anyone well enough to say that I'm close to any of them, although I'm friendly with several.

I've lived in other communities that were much more diverse than the one in which I currently reside.

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Town? My entire STATE is only 3% minority. :/ I have come in contact with plenty of other races, though, as I have traveled a lot. Just a personal observation... When southern black people would hear we were from Maine, they would fall all over themselves. Ask questions. Buy drinks.. They LOVE us! lol

Artsy-Mama
by Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I live in a predominately white community, but luckily, the demographics are changing and more people of color are moving into the area.  And I'm not speaking of only African Americans, but those of Hispanic decent and middle eastern decent.  My DH's and my closest friend is Pakistani (he and his wife are living with us at the moment).  I'm so happy that things are changing in this area.  When I grew up here there wasn't much diversity at all.  I'm glad it's changing.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

We've got mostly whites, maybe 70%.  I had black friends in high school. One, I asked to sadie hawkins one year too : )   ah, the memories.  I also dated a black guy for a little while.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I deliberately left that one out so you guys could share interesting stories like yours.

Quoting Nighttiger:

You don't have an option of "I live in a diverse town and know a bunch of people of color" so I voted the last option.  I've had several friends growing up that were not white and dated a few of them.  I never actually saw color.  The only time I did notice it was when I went to college.  The college town was very white, and it was actually shock factor going back to visit where I grew up (and live now).  I didn't realize how adjusted I had gotten to such a white town until I went back to my roots :)  Now its normal again and didn't take long at all.

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I live in a diverse city I'm right outside of DC, My neice and nephew are "mixed" and theyre father(My sister-inlaws husband) is black.

And, I do not have any friends white or black currently. Although I had many friends of a variety of "colors" growing up.

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade
Tara922c
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I live in a suburb of Houston, Texas. While the actual neighborhood I live in is predominantly white, in the overall makeup of Houston, white is not the majority. I have friends of all races and ethnicity's. I went to a predominately Hispanic/Black high school. My two best-friends in school where Mexican and black. My daughter is half Hispanic. My cousins are biracial. My step-mom is black.

I don't know a single white person that has never came into contact with a black person. I think those numbers are a little off. I do not believe over 90% of all white people will never come into contact with a black person to be a fact.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN