Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Survey: Majority of Catholics support including birth control in health care plans

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM
  • 10 Replies

Survey: Majority of Catholics support including birth control in health care plans

7:00 AM, February 8, 2012  |  By Niraj Warikoo

Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

A majority of Catholics support including birth control in health care plans and back the decision by the Obama administration that requires most employers to include such coverage, according to a new survey released Tuesday.

Their views are in contrast to leaders in the Catholic Church, who are vigorously opposing a rule by the U.S. government that says most employers must include contraception coverage in their health care plans.

Despite the opposition of Catholic leaders, Catholics are actually more likely than white mainline Protestants and white evangelicals to support including contraception in health plans, according to survey results by the Public Religion Research Institute.

About 58% of American Catholics "believe that employers should be required to provide their employees with health care plans that cover contraception," the survey showed. That was higher than the percentage of white mainline Protestants (50%) and white evangelicals (38%) who believe that. The Catholic Church officially forbids contraception use, but 98% of

Catholic women who have been sexually active have used birth control. The survey comes as Catholic bishops and their supporters are protesting a decision last month by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The decision clarified a rule that came about after the passage of a health care bill in 2010 that calls for universal health coverage. Part of that includes contraception for women.

The Jan. 20 decision allows an exemption for religious groups such as churches. So a Catholic parish, for example, does not have to provide contraception in its health care plans. But the decision also says that religiously-affiliated institutions that serve people outside its religious groups -- such as a Catholic hospital that treats patients of different backgrounds -- are not exempt and must include contraception in its health plans for employees. The decision would affect metro Detroit institutions like St. John Providence Health System, which currently does not provide contraception coverage for its employees.

In its decision, the government noted that contraception is a medical drug often used by women and helps their health. Catholic bishops were outraged by the decision, calling it an attack on their religious freedom. Archbishop of Detroit Allen Vigneron sent a letter this week to local Catholic parishes urging them to help get the rule overturned.

But a majority of Catholics, 52%, "say that religiously affiliated colleges and hospitals should have to provide coverage that includes contraception," said the Institute's survey. That was greater than the percentages of white mainline Protestants (45%) and white evangelicals (31%) who feel the same.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120208/NEWS07/120208008/Survey-Majority-of-Catholics-support-including-birth-control-in-health-care-plans?odyssey=nav%7Chead

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM
4 moms liked this

Most of the Catholics are using birth control themselves.  There are going to be a number in any of these polled groups who object to a government mandate because of the intrusive nature of government, as opposed to being against birth control in general.  Not surprised that evangelicals would be the lowest percentage of people who agree.

Insurance companies should have to maintain a minimum coverage standard, and BC should be part of that.  End of story.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Well maybe those Catholics should be walking out on the churches that have these archaic rules.  You belong to that church, you know their rules.  You sit in the pews each week, and give them your money, you are supporting this, whether you vote Yes or No in a poll.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:14 AM
5 moms liked this
Not surprised. I said it before but the Catholic Church is completely out of touch. I understand they've got their dogma but much of it just isn't rational for this day and age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jessilin0113:

Not surprised. I said it before but the Catholic Church is completely out of touch. I understand they've got their dogma but much of it just isn't rational for this day and age.

Much of it wasn't rational in any day and age...

yourspecialkid
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I couldn't find the link to the actual survey so the only comment I can make on that is that it is a survey and they are easily manipulated.  I attend the cathedral of our diocese and this is certainly not the sentiment of the parishioners there.  They are lining up in support of the church.  Perhaps this is because of the larger issue...govt interference now could set a very bad precedent for later....than the issue at hand..bc.  IDK.  Personally, I have an issue with bc and the church...however I am standing up for and behind the church on this because of the larger issue. 

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Quoting romalove:

Most of the Catholics are using birth control themselves.  There are going to be a number in any of these polled groups who object to a government mandate because of the intrusive nature of government, as opposed to being against birth control in general. 

This is me. I dont use BC, but I object on principle. Not bc I think they shouldnt cover bc in health care plans.

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Not all Catholics are bc nazis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I will say my hubby used to work for knights of Columbus and they GIVE you amazing maternity and well child benefits cuz they want you to have those babies. I say give because there wrre no premiums
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

But a majority of Catholics, 52%, "say that religiously affiliated colleges and hospitals should have to provide coverage that includes contraception," said the Institute's survey. That was greater than the percentages of white mainline Protestants (45%) and white evangelicals (31%) who feel the same.

Just wow.

CatRose15
by Cat on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I can't say I'm suprised.  There are some conservative Catholics who are against this; but most Catholics I know use BC and don't think that the Church should be pushing their religious dogma onto other people who happen to work for offices/hospitals/schools that are operated by a diocses. 

I'm Catholic, I've used BC and I'm all for the government telling the Catholic church they don't get to dictate my or someone elses medical care based on their archaic religious beliefs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)