Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this make a Doomsday prepper?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am making 4 trays of banana chips and 4 trays of apple chips because I found the fruit marked down

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Lol that makes you smart
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I would like to know how to make banana chips without the added fat and sugar of commercial ones. 

Can that be done?  How do you make them at home?

Tanya93
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I found a dehydrator on sale at a store that was closing.   It takes about 10-12 hours in it, but I know you can do it with thinly sliced (at least 3/8th an inch) in the oven over 4-6 hours at 150-200.   A lot of depends on your humidity when using the oven,

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I would like to know how to make banana chips without the added fat and sugar of commercial ones. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Tanya93:

I found a dehydrator on sale at a store that was closing.   It takes about 10-12 hours in it, but I know you can do it with thinly sliced (at least 3/8th an inch) in the oven over 4-6 hours at 150-200.   A lot of depends on your humidity when using the oven,

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I had a dehydrator, but it took up too much room in the kitchen cupboard so I had my hubby take it to the garage.  He says he thinks he tossed it.

So, you do not add any oil or sugar?  They come out crisp?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Lol. I think it just makes you a good steward of your money.
Tanya93
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Not always.   This batch did because it isn't 80% humidity.

I sliced the bananas and apples on a hand held mandolin and then layered them.   Two tray of each were coated with either cinnamon and brown sugar or allspice.

All of them are completely dried after 12 hours.

I'm not really trying to be a doomsday person, just someone making snacks.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I had a dehydrator, but it took up too much room in the kitchen cupboard so I had my hubby take it to the garage.  He says he thinks he tossed it.

So, you do not add any oil or sugar?  They come out crisp?

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I love banana chips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)