Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solution to the Contraception Problem

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this

(quoting from my son-in-law's facebook page)"I think I've worked out a fair deal for the various religious groups concerned with subsidizing contraception. They will not have to subsidize contraception. In exchange, they will give up their tax exempt status, thereby meaning us, as tax payers, will no longer have to subsidize their property taxes. Quid pro quo that sounds fair, right? With around $200 billion in untaxed church property in the USA, I think it sounds very fair."

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Ya, that will work so Catholic Hospitals will have to increase rates even more.  Great idea

eye rolling

ashes609
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Medical costs are pretty standard between hospitals...so why would the Catholic hospitals have to increase rates?  and this pertains more to church property across the board, not just hospitals.

Quoting Carpy:

Ya, that will work so Catholic Hospitals will have to increase rates even more.  Great idea

eye rolling

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:17 PM

They are higher at private hospitals and add to that all the good that Catholic Charities do as well.

Quoting ashes609:

Medical costs are pretty standard between hospitals...so why would the Catholic hospitals have to increase rates?  and this pertains more to church property across the board, not just hospitals.

Quoting Carpy:

eye rolling

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM

And the issue isn't really contraception it is the violation of the first amendment.

ashes609
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM
3 moms liked this

The Catholic church can afford to do good works because they don't pay taxes.  I'd be much more impressed if they were doing good works WITHOUT the tax breaks, oh - and all the child molesting - and hypocrisy about birth control.  What percentage of Catholic women actually BELIEVE that birth control is a sin?  or, believe it is a sin and do it anyway?  Ridiculous. 

Quoting Carpy:

They are higher at private hospitals and add to that all the good that Catholic Charities do as well.

Quoting ashes609:

Quoting Carpy:

eye rolling

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM

That's not entirely true.  Private hospitals tend to be more costly for the patient. I know this well.  When I got pregnant a few years ago, we had no insurance.  The private hospital I wanted to give birth at set up a payment plan with me.  The first two appointments alone cost almost $600 out of pocket.  Then on my third appointment, after i found out I was having twins, they told me that each baby counts as a seperate ultrasound, so they had to charge me for two.  The ultrasounds were about $100 more than the non private institutions here.   When I said we couldn't afford it, they sent me to a financial counselor who suggested momcare (medicaid).  But then told me that I would have to find a different hospital because that private hospital doesn't accept medicaid.

In the end it was for the best, since I was high risk. A nd the hospital was a part of the health system my mom works for.  I was bummed that I had to give up my OBGYN that I had been with for years, though.

Quoting ashes609:

Quoting Carpy:

eye rolling

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Quoting Carpy:

And the issue isn't really contraception it is the violation of the first amendment.

How is it a violation of the First Amendment?

Sherri

Imagine.

Carpy
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:32 PM

If you do not know that, I am just not even going to waste my time with an answer YET again.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting Carpy:

butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Religious institutions hire people that aren't of their religion all the time.  If they use their wages to buy birth control or pay for an abortion, then does that make the religious insitituion complicit in something that they consider a sin?  No, it doesn't, because they rationalize that once they pay the wages to the employee, it's out of their hands so to speak.  The same should apply for benefits such as insurance that the employer provides, which are considered part of an employees wage.  Once they pay the premium, is it really thier place to dictate what can and cannot be covered by the insurance?  So NOT a first amendment/freedom of religion issue.  

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I see.  You must think I read everything you post.

Quoting Carpy:

If you do not know that, I am just not even going to waste my time with an answer YET again.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting Carpy:

Sherri

Imagine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)