Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food plate fundraisers

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

What do you think them?

Do you get tired of being approached to buy a bbq plate or spaghetti dinner for the smallest thing?  Or do you just buy t hem if you like the food and donate if you don't?  Do you think there might be a more effective way of fundraising?

I'm talking about ones ranging from having one to send a girl to a summer abroad in Paris to helping a family whose home has burned?

I'm about to go pick up my plates for a spaghetti dinner fundraiser that the church that runs my son's preschool is having.

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I don't mind being asked to go to these types of fundraisers. I have gone to some if I am able to if not I either say I can't attend or donate anyway depending on the cause.

cassnadrajones
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:45 PM

if its cheap and I know it will be good. I'll buy it. Im the only one who cooks in our house. Dh helps but he cant even make rice. A cheap meal I dont have to cook is a blessing in our house. 

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:08 AM

During basketball season our HS classes have dinner fundraisers to earn money for their senior misson trip.  I like to help support them.

I am picky about the dinners I choose to attend and how I feel about the reason they are raising money.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM

We have fish frys once a month here. It supports the new community center. We often see ice cream socials or spaghetti dinners for a community member who is having some health crisis (granted it seems those things are only held for the ones who are not what I would consider needy) I occasionally go depends on my finances and the event.

yogapantz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

We go to the annual fish & oyster fry that the Lions Club has, since my dad & MIL are both Lions. My church does a really good BBQ chicken dinner on election days, half a smoked chicken, baked beans, potato salad, fruit salad, dessert, and a drink for $8...delicious. We go to the luncheons our church holds for various fundraising efforts, mainly for youth choir tour and UM Army. I have yet to go to one for a random stranger whose friend is hawking the tickets in The Walmarts parking lot. 

DemocraticMama
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Before I quit the FD to be a SAHM we had chili cook-offs and fish frys to raise money to keep our engines in good order, hoses good, stocked ambulance, etc... It was a small community and a Twsp FD so that was the only way for us to get money for certain things.  I think that some of them are okay.  I understand what you are saying about helping a child go on a Paris trip or Mexico instead of rebuilding a home, I guess it all depends on what you decide.  I think that getting spaghetti dinners for your sons preschool is just fine.  I always give to my children's school functions even if I disagree, I do not want my children weeded out because they didn't raise as much money,etc... it is a catch 22.   I feel like I am rambling so I am going to bed. 

Mommy of 4, a termie and 3 preemies. “You have to have been a Republican to know how good it is to be a Democrat.” ~ Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Fundraisers for school abroad...or helping a mother go to a sporting event the child has been paid to go to.  Those sort of fundraisers I want something for my money...so a bbq plate is something I would buy to support.

For fundraisers that support a cause...like a family's home burning down, a boy with cancer, a wheelchair for a paralized guy...then I donate and dont require anything in return.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)