Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Minn. City Councilman Defends Confederate Flag Outside His Home: ‘My Free Speech'

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM
  • 24 Replies

Minn. City Councilman Defends Confederate Flag Outside His Home: ‘My Free Speech'

Confed flag council member

A Minnesota city councilman has a Confederate flag hanging outside his home and says he's not taking it down, no matter what people say.

"It's my house," West St. Paul Councilman Ed Hansen told the Pioneer Press. "What's the problem?"

Plenty, according to the city's mayor, John Zanmiller. The flag, visible from a busy avenue and to visitors at a nearby park, also has the word "redneck" written across it.

"I don't like it," Zanmiller said. "Do I wish the flag wasn't there? Yes."

While the mayor acknowledged he is not aware of any complaints made to the city, he reached out to Hansen on Friday about taking it down. Hansen declined, and Zanmiller acknowledged the decision is ultimately Hansen's.

Ed Hansen

Hansen, a first-term councilman elected in 2010, told the Pioneer Press he put the flag outside his house over the summer to no complaints. He said being an elected official should not matter one way or another.

"It represents sovereignty, individual rights and individual liberty," he told the newspaper. "It's my free speech, and that's my choice."

He dismissed any racist connotation the flag carries.

"I'm not a racist, and I don't think it's racist," he said. "People like to play the race card, though, when they don't get their way."

Jay Brunn, a developer who's building a house next to Hansen's, claimed the flag caused one prospective buyer to shy away.

When informed of that, Hansen told the Pioneer Press: "Good. I don't want him for a neighbor then. If people choose to be ignorant, that's their own fault. They should study history. It represents true sovereignty."

Click for The Walking Dead Forum :

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cassnadrajones
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. He can fly it all he wants. 

Tanya93
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM

If his public doesn't like it, they can vote him out.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree, too.  He has the right to display a confederate flag on his porch, and I have the right to think he is an insensitive, redneck idiot.

Ann7227
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I agree he should be able to fly it on his own property.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Me too..

They have rednecks in MN?? lol 

Quoting PurdueMom:

I agree, too.  He has the right to display a confederate flag on his porch, and I have the right to think he is an insensitive, redneck idiot.

GLWerth
by Gina on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

He has the right to fly it and to accept the negative consequences that may come from his actions.

His neighbors and hopefully, his constituents now know what kind of person he is.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Bull $hit COP OUT

Quote:

"It represents sovereignty, individual rights and individual liberty,"

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

if he gets reelected then that would be one town i'd never want to go too. that's for sure. 

When time crashes

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM
Sure do. I'm related to some by marriage.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Me too..

Quoting PurdueMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Sure do. I'm related to some by marriage.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Me too..

Quoting PurdueMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)