Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think those on Foodstamps should have a dog, cat, etc.?

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh, I know this post will strike some nerves and my answer is NO. If you can't provide your family with food then how will you afford a vet bill, get the dog shots, spayed, etc.? What if it gets sick?

This EXCLUDES those who apply for food stamps, (your hubby or YOU lose your job) and you already own Fido. But if you are on the system, and then you go and adopt Fido, is that fair?

Discuss.

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
Tanya93
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Because the less money spent on assistance, the more money that can applied to the debt.   I prefer to leave a country not straining under debt because we have a huge population that believes the government owes them help.

Taxes need to take care of those who truly need it, not someone who can afford a pet but don't want to spend money on their actual responsibilities.

Quoting twinsforlove:

Quoting Tanya93:

Because if you have the money to adopt and care for a pet, then maybe you don't need the assistance being given to you from the government.   Responsible people wouldn't do that.

Quoting twinsforlove:

Honestly how is it any of your buisness? I am not on anything like that just WIC but still why are we all always getting in EVERYONE elses buisness?

But how is that AFFECTING YOU!?! How does that keep YOU from living YOUR life and doing what YOU need to do.....taxes or what ever will come out no matter what but really its not affecting YOU

cassie19831
8 moms liked this

My cats cost me under 20 bucks a month. They never get sick and they are inside so they don't get shots. Cats are clean. litter costs me 4 bucks a month. Food is 11 for the entire month. Less if it's on sale. I wasn't on FS when I first had my oldest cat but my younger cat I got when I was. I did get her spayed and declawed. That was 50 bucks. but since then it cost nothing. My family eats of roughly 300 to 400 a month. I get foodstamps and we buy food. If it cost me under 20 a month like my cats I wouldn't need foodstamps. I could get rid of my pets and I would still need food stamps. No I don't agree that people deserve nothing and should be punished if they are on foodstamps.

jazzieel

No, they should not to my opinion.The money they are spending on pet care could be going into food for their children or actually even themselves if they don't have kids. So unless the pet is for medical reasons or something like that no.

DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

hmmm, i would say it would be wise to not add a burden that is unnecessary. My children's father offered to buy my son a puppy cause his therapist said it would benefit him. I said no because i cannot afford the up keep.

KColeman90
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Well I wouldn't do it

twinsforlove
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Tanya93:

Because the less money spent on assistance, the more money that can applied to the debt.   I prefer to leave a country not straining under debt because we have a huge population that believes the government owes them help.

Taxes need to take care of those who truly need it, not someone who can afford a pet but don't want to spend money on their actual responsibilities.

Quoting twinsforlove:

Quoting Tanya93:

Because if you have the money to adopt and care for a pet, then maybe you don't need the assistance being given to you from the government.   Responsible people wouldn't do that.

Quoting twinsforlove:

Honestly how is it any of your buisness? I am not on anything like that just WIC but still why are we all always getting in EVERYONE elses buisness?

But how is that AFFECTING YOU!?! How does that keep YOU from living YOUR life and doing what YOU need to do.....taxes or what ever will come out no matter what but really its not affecting YOU

Honestly money will be taken out no matter what if not for them for something else. I dont think people with food stamps should be able to buy beer and cigars but they can......Its always going to be something

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM
15 moms liked this

Let's ask these guys....

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Oddy_Knocky
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If you already have a pet when you require public assistance then no, I wouldn't expect you to give your pet up but if you are on assistance and want to get an animal I think you should hold off until you can afford it. A lot more goes in to caring for your pet than a couple of bags of dog or ____ food a month. 

Photobucket

NonnieJ
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

The way I see it, is you are saying that just because someone can't seem to make ends meet, their poor little kids don't deserve a pet!  Well that is just mean!

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting twinsforlove:

Oddy_Knocky
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No, what would be mean is getting a pet you can't afford, having something happen to the pet then having the pet suffer because you can't afford to take care of it properly. 

A vast majority of vet hospitals don't offer payment plans. 

Quoting NonnieJ:

The way I see it, is you are saying that just because someone can't seem to make ends meet, their poor little kids don't deserve a pet!  Well that is just mean!

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting twinsforlove:

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured