Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should People Have More Children While On Public Assistance?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a spin off from the post asking if people should get a pet while on public assistance (PA).  It is NOT about giving up pets people already have, just as this post isn't about giving up children people already have when they go on public assistance.

In the aforementioned thread a poster said people on PA have the right to have children and acquire pets while on PA and that there is nothing wrong with that.  I disagree, and I thought it was common sense that people should not have more children when they cannot afford to feed the children they already have.

by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Replies (101-110):
joey125
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I agree with myob, that is why I mentioned education so that folks can get a better job, in the meantime we cannot in all good conscience cut off the most vulnerable, especially at this time when jobs are scarce.  We help other countries in their time of need, now we have to help our own.

alinev
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

As a matter of fact, I was date raped but that experience is not the source of my ire. Clearly I do have a problem with your reference in this context and that is my problem. I did in fact read your post several times  prior to my reply and again since. My position is the same. 

The comments on this thread were related to the general belief that people on PA should not be having children while unable to support themselves. Even taking the issue of tax money out of it, is that something your would teach your own children? Absolutely not, why not just throw them an anvil while the are in deep water. It defies all logic. There were not specifics, more high level theory. 

Dragging in a "what if" rape scenario is just an illogical, diversionary  tactic to prove your "mind your own business point". The fact that it is taxpayer money is the point. I want to support people to learn to fish, not keep handing them the catch of they day. That is not just because of how my tax dollars get spent but ultimately because self sufficiency and freedom from dependency is  what is best for their children, their future children and our society as a whole.  

In less individual context, do you think it is a good idea for the US to continue to be depend on foreign oil? 

Quoting alinev:

You actually just used "rape" in a "crap happens" context!  Rape has absolutely no bearing in this thread. A violent act against a women or man is a felony, not a "crap happens" incident.

I do not believe that the is a single woman participating in this thread advocating that people on PA should not have children, would EVER think that a rape pregnancy is part of this dialog. To introduce this as a concept is nothing more then disrespectful and unkind to both people on PA and rape victims. 

In this case, I am absolutely NOT minding my own business, I am TELLING you flat out to take your head out from up your clearly ignorant tush, google the definitiions of maturity, logic and compassion and dignity and come back when you have learned something!

Quoting AdellesMom:

Whatever happened to minding your own business?

Sitting here complaining about people having another child while on PA isn't going to change anything.

Crap happens. People get pregnant accidentally, people get raped, etc.

Besides, there's is a good number of people that are doing what they're supposed to be doing while on PA. But, you won't hear about them. The stories aren't negative. Therefore, they aren't newsworthy.

The_Green_Farie
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Smart people would choose the route of "no".

It's why we aren't having another kid for awhile, despite what our original plans were. AND WE AREN"T EVEN ON PA! We don't qualify even though we can barelly afford food & lost our health insurance quite some time ago.

It sucks when people think that just because we don't qualify for PA that means were doing alright for ourselves. Were not.    :-S  </rant>

toomanygone1130
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I agree with you 1000% If you are on PA you should not continue to have kids. it's as simple as that.

AKMomx4
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Quoting MoonlightDancer:

No they shouldn't.  If you're on public assistance (WIC, FS, etc), you clearly aren't in the position to support a baby properly, and you should be focusing your efforts to improving your situation and getting off of the backs of the taxpayers.  I also believe that a pregnancy test should be required of women who seek public assistance.

What exactly does a pregnancy test have to do with anything???? Just wondering that doesnt make a bit of sense AT ALL....

RiNKeasMom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Should people receiving welfare consciously choose to have more children? No.

Should we punish those that do, ie. make the children suffer for their parents actions? No.

I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help those who need it, regardless of if they have made bad choices or not. For every person that abuses the system, there is another out there that does not. I'm not willing to risk the welfare of even one child who had no say in how or when they were born.

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
You really aren't making any sense here. I think that you need to calm down, and take a deep breath.

You're looking too deeply into my statement. You're trying to find something that's not there.

My point is that people need to mind their own business instead of ASSuming that people are on PA and having babies for the heck of it. I mentioned rape because people tend to be more compassionate towards rape victims and apologize to them for making asinine assumptions about their situation.

My point is that you do NOT know the details of someone's life unless they divulge them to you.

So, my comment IS related to the topic at hand. I just took a different angle.

Quoting alinev:

As a matter of fact, I was date raped but that experience is not the source of my ire. Clearly I do have a problem with your reference in this context and that is my problem. I did in fact read your post several times  prior to my reply and again since. My position is the same. 

The comments on this thread were related to the general belief that people on PA should not be having children while unable to support themselves. Even taking the issue of tax money out of it, is that something your would teach your own children? Absolutely not, why not just throw them an anvil while the are in deep water. It defies all logic. There were not specifics, more high level theory. 

Dragging in a "what if" rape scenario is just an illogical, diversionary  tactic to prove your "mind your own business point". The fact that it is taxpayer money is the point. I want to support people to learn to fish, not keep handing them the catch of they day. That is not just because of how my tax dollars get spent but ultimately because self sufficiency and freedom from dependency is  what is best for their children, their future children and our society as a whole.  

In less individual context, do you think it is a good idea for the US to continue to be depend on foreign oil? 

Quoting alinev:

You actually just used "rape" in a "crap happens" context!  Rape has absolutely no bearing in this thread. A violent act against a women or man is a felony, not a "crap happens" incident.

I do not believe that the is a single woman participating in this thread advocating that people on PA should not have children, would EVER think that a rape pregnancy is part of this dialog. To introduce this as a concept is nothing more then disrespectful and unkind to both people on PA and rape victims. 

In this case, I am absolutely NOT minding my own business, I am TELLING you flat out to take your head out from up your clearly ignorant tush, google the definitiions of maturity, logic and compassion and dignity and come back when you have learned something!

Quoting AdellesMom:

Sitting here complaining about people having another child while on PA isn't going to change anything.

Besides, there's is a good number of people that are doing what they're supposed to be doing while on PA. But, you won't hear about them. The stories aren't negative. Therefore, they aren't newsworthy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alinev
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Interesting Avatar. Should I assume that you moonlight as a stripper given the subject matter?I certainly don't think that you are but I that is because I have no interest in  look ing for something that is not there.

For you to  assume that the thread was remotely inclusive of a call to disenfranchise the most needy, such that a reference to rape was needed was pretty silly. If you do not want people to "read to deeply" as you call it, stay on point and make reasonable references. 

Quoting AdellesMom:

You really aren't making any sense here. I think that you need to calm down, and take a deep breath.

You're looking too deeply into my statement. You're trying to find something that's not there.

My point is that people need to mind their own business instead of ASSuming that people are on PA and having babies for the heck of it. I mentioned rape because people tend to be more compassionate towards rape victims and apologize to them for making asinine assumptions about their situation.

My point is that you do NOT know the details of someone's life unless they divulge them to you.

So, my comment IS related to the topic at hand. I just took a different angle.

Quoting alinev:

Quoting alinev:

Quoting AdellesMom:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Quoting tooptimistic:

no.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Pa only support 5 kids any way! And people on pa, ain't getting a lot of money, y'all acting like buying yachts,mansion, Porsche, private jets, can't buy these things with $800 or less a month. The ones that are complaining, living in 100,000 houses, 2 family cars or more, vacations, ,don't blame pa if your in debt, trying to impress family and friends
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN