Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should People Have More Children While On Public Assistance?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a spin off from the post asking if people should get a pet while on public assistance (PA).  It is NOT about giving up pets people already have, just as this post isn't about giving up children people already have when they go on public assistance.

In the aforementioned thread a poster said people on PA have the right to have children and acquire pets while on PA and that there is nothing wrong with that.  I disagree, and I thought it was common sense that people should not have more children when they cannot afford to feed the children they already have.

by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Replies (81-90):
imabitweird
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

It would not be a wise to have more children while on Pa but we have not right to tell them they cant have anymore children. In most cases these days the number of children you have doesnt affect the amount of benefits you receive anyway...

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Quoting jewels5525:

Are you against abortion, cause how would that work???

They are also against Birth Control that doesn't always work. Because you know. Birth Control is 100% Effective.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting jewels5525:

Are you against abortion, cause how would that work???

They are also against Birth Control that doesn't always work. Because you know. Birth Control is 100% Effective.

So basically, if your on PA than you arn't allowed to have sex.  Interesting.

LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM
not on purpose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Feb. 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM

People have the right to continue reproducing or adopting pets while on PA. I just believe it to be extremely irresponsible and I don't advocate for it. I don't understand why people are content with becoming responsible for feeding another living being when they are already struggling. I think it's best for a person on PA to be proactive in preventing unwanted pregnancy while they're on PA, and I think it's extremely irresponsible to actually plan on having another child, especially without the intention of getting off PA anytime soon. Instead of directing your energy toward producing more children to provide for, put that energy towards furthering your education so you no longer have to be on PA and can become financially independent enough to be able to feed more mouths should you choose to. It takes two years to get an associate's degree, which is better than nothing.

I know being poor is no picnic. I can't grasp the concept of people being willing to continue struggling. 

EmmaGlenn20
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I agree with you. This is a topic that I feel extremely strongly about. If you think people on assistance should have more pets and kids with the money that they are getting for free, then do YOU mind *giving* me 1000 to get a new flat screen with? Thanks :P

EmmaGlenn20
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

You're getting free money from the government. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want all of those fancy extras, you have to earn it yourself. Public assistance is not a paycheck, you have not earned it. It is help because you really, badly need it. I am very glad that the people that need it can get it, all things aside. 

Quoting jpuls:

So basically what I am getting from all these debates about food stamps and public assistance is that low income or poor people shouldn't have sex or kids,drink pop or have sweets, tvs, cell phones, a pet or eat out at a restaurant. And also they can't have a nice house car or clothes and if they get their hair done or nails done its even worse. So what are they supposed to?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  People can be financially secure before having children.  My husband and I did it. Our parents did it.  One reason why we stopped at one.   

jpuls
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM
Actually in my state in order to get ADC checks. You have to either work, go to school or volunteer 35-55 hrs a week if you are a two adult house hold and it really isn't a lot of money that you get. So technically you are kinda working for it

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

You're getting free money from the government. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want all of those fancy extras, you have to earn it yourself. Public assistance is not a paycheck, you have not earned it. It is help because you really, badly need it. I am very glad that the people that need it can get it, all things aside. 

Quoting jpuls:

So basically what I am getting from all these debates about food stamps and public assistance is that low income or poor people shouldn't have sex or kids,drink pop or have sweets, tvs, cell phones, a pet or eat out at a restaurant. And also they can't have a nice house car or clothes and if they get their hair done or nails done its even worse. So what are they supposed to?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelimom
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Nope. I agree with the OP, it's common sense. If you can't afford the children you already have, then don't have more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)