Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

food stamps wic and other forms of pa

Posted by   + Show Post

with all the concern on here about trying to govern the activities of those on pa i think i came up with an idea. if you cant afford everything on your own heres what you should be allowed and not allowed to do.

no pets.

dont ever go out to eat to the movies or any other form of entertainment.

only the essential and most basic of foods. no internet of computers.

no cable or tv even.

if you have any of these and are on pa get rid of them.

you dont need new clothes there are places you can go that they will give you free second hand clothes you can even get underwear.

housing should consist of only enoug roomm for a bedroom for parents and one each for each gender of children you have and only one bathroom.

only buy the cheapest toiletries you can find and the cheapest houshold supplies available.

and although you now have absolutly nothing to do but go to work keep house and raise your kids dont have sex either that might inadvetantly lead to another child.

dont spend money on anything other than food essential bills and medical care.

you might lower your water bill by only flushing after a #2 and sharing bathwater.

you could keep your light bill down by only being awake during daylight hours.

only own one car per family unless you live in an area where there is access to public transportation then you dont need one.

or we could always make those who are on pa live in shelter situations so that every penny they make can be used to get off pa and we can monitor their every breath

does this sound llike a stupid invasion of privacy?

does anybody have the right to tell others to live like this?

what would happen to these people on pa if they were forces to live like this?

I bring this up because some people feel that they have the right to regulate the lives of those on pa. I understand that there are those that abuse the system and there always will be. but those who are responsible and use their pa the way it is intended greatly outnumber those who dont. you dont see those people because they vall attention to themselves.

SO STOP TREATING ALL OF US WHO NEED A LITTLE EXTRA HELP TO GET BY LIKE WELFARE BUMS! WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ECONOMY YOU COULD EASILY BE ONE OF US ANYTIME!

by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
mels712
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM

when you have kids you have to swallow your prideto provide for them if i didnt have kids i would not ask for help id eat ramen noodles and live ina slum apartment but i owe my kids better than that. the only reason i have internet is because i need the access for my classes

mels712
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

there are those on here who beleive they and the government have the right to tell people on pa what to eat and if they can own pets or have more children. if they think they should have that right where does it end? when do they butt out?

momma_sam
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM
3 moms liked this

well said.ppl getting extra help still deserve to live happy lives. they may not live as well as those "high class" ppl but shouldnt have to feel like total shit.

momma_sam
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:07 AM

and like i basically said on another PA post, ppl dont know everyones story. some ppl benefit a great deal from animals. and they dont need to do without some luxeries like cable or internet. it could be cheaper to go w/o cable though and just use internet. we did that for a while.did w/o cable and just used internet. theres a thing called netflix and it can be cheaper than cable....for the most part it kinda is.

Liz_Rocket
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mels712:

there are those on here who beleive they and the government have the right to tell people on pa what to eat and if they can own pets or have more children. if they think they should have that right where does it end? when do they butt out?

Who specifically has advocated the actual right to control the lives of others? 

andiecheyenne
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Too tired to argue... bump for later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nighttiger
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting mels712:

with all the concern on here about trying to govern the activities of those on pa i think i came up with an idea. if you cant afford everything on your own heres what you should be allowed and not allowed to do.

no pets. Disagree.  Pets are innocents so I would rather them have a home then get put to sleep.  So, pets are ok

dont ever go out to eat to the movies or any other form of entertainment. honestly, why would you want to?  DH and I haven't wasted the money on a movie in years...I think since the Simpsons came out in 07..and we're not on PA. Other forms of entertainment would have to be approved :)

only the essential and most basic of foods.Agree on this.  Sorry, at least soda is pure junk.  Anything with 0 nutritional value is gone, or at least can be bought with extras.  Boxed foods have some value, so those are ok.

no internet of computers. Disagree. In this economy, how are you supposed to look for work? Computer and internet are ok

no cable or tv even. I kinda agree on the cable at least.  Cable is also a waste of money. We only have basic because its $3 per month with our internet. If you have internet, you have on demand cable, so no reason to pay for it twice.

you dont need new clothes there are places you can go that they will give you free second hand clothes you can even get underwear.I'm not on PA and my kid gets mostly garage sale and second hand clothes. I don't like wasting money. Is something wrong with that?  If you have a job interview, then by all means, get new clothes.  Otherwise, shop sales at the very least.

housing should consist of only enoug roomm for a bedroom for parents and one each for each gender of children you have and only one bathroom.DH and I lived in a 1 bedroom appt for 10 years until we could afford a house, because it was responsible.  Those on PA should do the most fiscally responsible option.

only buy the cheapest toiletries you can find and the cheapest houshold supplies available. I disagree.

and although you now have absolutly nothing to do but go to work keep house and raise your kids dont have sex either that might inadvetantly lead to another child. Disagree with that too :)

dont spend money on anything other than food essential bills and medical care.Actually agree. I've lived this way for years, and I'm not on PA...just trying to earn a living.  We haven't had a vacation since 2001.

you might lower your water bill by only flushing after a #2 and sharing bathwater. Thats personal and only for you to decide.

you could keep your light bill down by only being awake during daylight hours. thats just BS

only own one car per family unless you live in an area where there is access to public transportation then you dont need one. Neutral. Is no one working? Probably only one car is needed unless costs would be high to sell the other. Is one person working? Disagree, two cars would be beneficial.

or we could always make those who are on pa live in shelter situations so that every penny they make can be used to get off pa and we can monitor their every breath

does this sound llike a stupid invasion of privacy?

does anybody have the right to tell others to live like this? Yup to all of the above. When I travel for business, my work accounts for all money I spend on their dollar. If I want to rent a car and I can walk, its on me.  If I want to buy extra food beyond what they allow, its on me, and I have to turn in all reciepts. If I want to visit the city while traveling for work, those expenses are my responsibility.

what would happen to these people on pa if they were forces to live like this? They would live very similarly to me? I actually like my life and get a lot done. I have taken UI for about a month when I got laid off after the company closed and you know what was the first to go...everything you mentioned! I started my new job a month and a half after being laid off.  You don't need all the fluff to live a good life.

momma_sam
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

i totally agree with ur post. i mean as i said on this post once...people on PA do deserve to live happy lives even though they arnt "rich" they just have to do so a little more conservitally (sp??)   i dont come into this group too much because of a lot of negativity i see in here. i respect the fact that everyone is entiteled to their own opinion yet i think at the same time they should be more respectful. we are on PA because our income is limited,but with that said i am on disability for severe anxiety and depression issues. my pets are considered "emotional companion" and we have a ferret as well as a bird to go along with the dogs. my dog i origionally got when i got my 1st disability check and someone had tried to break into my house. i got terrified so i felt better with a dog  (that had backup pay for prior months or w/e its called) my dog had its shots before i got him my husbands aunt gave him a older dog the day after my sons birthday. we have the number to a vet who does a sliding fee or w/e he calls it so if something happens... we have a bird but food for him is cheap as all hell and we dont have to buy food for dh ferret (we got her with tax money last year) he use to work at a company that distributed dog and ferret food/treats that ferret is pretty much set for life. so basically we buy a bag of dog food a month and a thing of bird food every couple of months for like 5ish bucks. people can think what they want but these animals are very therapudic for me..... for the rest of whats going on for us to really need the help, dh got laid off  his job for health issues but might have a decent job pretty soon where we can get off most of our assistance.  sorry for the long rant but maybe if some ppl saw this they would think before bashing. if they had any kind of consience. 

Quoting mels712:

CafeMom Tickers
phoenixmom2011
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM
2 moms liked this
While I do not agree that everyone should say what you can or cannot do with PA you need to stop and think. In your household because you are the parent and are responsible for feeding and sheltering and clothing your children you therefore also make the rules. Well it is the same for the government they are feeding, sheltering, and clothing you should they not have a say in how it is done. If you do not want the government dictating how things should be done take a look around and blame the idiots that are taking advantage of the system and not the government and the people who want to see the system work properly or have it disbaned altogether.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misspsmom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
So would you be okay with your job telling you what you can and can't eat, how many cars you are allowed to have, what activities you can participate in, or how to live in general because after all they pay for you. I get that you work and SOME people on pa don't but what about those who do work and just can't get by in their own just yet?

Quoting Liz_Rocket:

I don't think anyone on here is treating anyone like bums. People who aren't on PA have a vested interest in those who are because, well, they're paying for it. I don't think it's uncalled for to expect minimal personal financial responsibility in regards to what PA is spent on. 

Stop treating those who pay for PA like assholes. If the economy gets better, you could be one of us. Then you'll see what everyone's bitching about.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN