Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

food stamps wic and other forms of pa

Posted by   + Show Post

with all the concern on here about trying to govern the activities of those on pa i think i came up with an idea. if you cant afford everything on your own heres what you should be allowed and not allowed to do.

no pets.

dont ever go out to eat to the movies or any other form of entertainment.

only the essential and most basic of foods. no internet of computers.

no cable or tv even.

if you have any of these and are on pa get rid of them.

you dont need new clothes there are places you can go that they will give you free second hand clothes you can even get underwear.

housing should consist of only enoug roomm for a bedroom for parents and one each for each gender of children you have and only one bathroom.

only buy the cheapest toiletries you can find and the cheapest houshold supplies available.

and although you now have absolutly nothing to do but go to work keep house and raise your kids dont have sex either that might inadvetantly lead to another child.

dont spend money on anything other than food essential bills and medical care.

you might lower your water bill by only flushing after a #2 and sharing bathwater.

you could keep your light bill down by only being awake during daylight hours.

only own one car per family unless you live in an area where there is access to public transportation then you dont need one.

or we could always make those who are on pa live in shelter situations so that every penny they make can be used to get off pa and we can monitor their every breath

does this sound llike a stupid invasion of privacy?

does anybody have the right to tell others to live like this?

what would happen to these people on pa if they were forces to live like this?

I bring this up because some people feel that they have the right to regulate the lives of those on pa. I understand that there are those that abuse the system and there always will be. but those who are responsible and use their pa the way it is intended greatly outnumber those who dont. you dont see those people because they vall attention to themselves.

SO STOP TREATING ALL OF US WHO NEED A LITTLE EXTRA HELP TO GET BY LIKE WELFARE BUMS! WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ECONOMY YOU COULD EASILY BE ONE OF US ANYTIME!

by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Replies (61-70):
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Welfare is NOT minimal. The amount given in food stamps alone is more than struggling families who don't qualify for assistance could ever have to spend in a month.

If you are accepting a helping hand from someone, even the government, then they have the right to place strings on that money. If you don't like the strings, don't take the money.

Quoting mels712:

im not saying that she should get away with it but how does she live? welfare is so very minimal how does she pay any bills? I think it is a matter of poor parrenting. and there should requirements about looking for work or attending classes to better yourself. welfare should not be a way of life only a helping hand. but invasion of the privacy of good honest people is not the answer. I buy most of my clothes and kids clothes at second hand shops and that is a financial desicion not something anyone has the right to tell me to do

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

They butt out when you are supporting yourself.

Quoting mels712:

there are those on here who beleive they and the government have the right to tell people on pa what to eat and if they can own pets or have more children. if they think they should have that right where does it end? when do they butt out?

momma_sam
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

thank u :) so do i. it would actually be a really convienient job for us too. previousally he was working jobs that were an hour or 2 away. back in early december i found out i was pregnant again and i was getting a little paranoid that one day id be pregnant, go into labor or something while hes a few hours away. i know a jobs a job but id feel much better if hes closer in case of an emergancy.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Awesome! I hope he gets the job!

Quoting momma_sam:

thats good :) we have to use PA though since i am unable to work and my income is limited. but as i said if dh gets this job soon im hoping we can get off some of the assistance we have.

Quoting moneysaver6:

I don't equate those on disability with those on other forms of public assistance.

Quoting momma_sam:

some of these things i find a bit extreme. im on disability for a few different reasons. mood disorders to be exact. as i mentioned on this post earlier we have my ssi check for income and until dh finds another job hes on unemployment (and yes,soon we think hes gonna have a decent job) we have 2 dogs and a bird we have to buy food for. the bird costs me maybe 5ish bucks every few months. and we buy a big bag of dogfood every month. the dogs are what my psyciatrist (sp) would call "emotional companions" or something along those lines. i CAN NOT be home alone without a dog in sight because i freak out even with all doors and windows locked thinking someone is going to break in.and yes people have tried to break in before. so that paranoia comes honestally. once the house and once the car. thats another main reason why i have my dogs....and i DO NOT plan on being on PA for years and years. once dh gets his job we should be able to cut back.

Quoting moneysaver6:

You say this as if you're being sarcastic.

Reality is that a LOT of people are struggling to pay the most basic of bills but do not qualify for government assistance.  As such, they don't have a choice BUT to make these sacrifices.  Why should those who ARE on government assistance live any differently than those helping to fund their assistance?  They shouldn't.  Those who are struggling shouldn't have the extras until they are back on their feet again; whether they receive government assistance or not.

I numbered your list to make it easier to reply to point-by-point:

1. People WILL survive if they have to rehome their pets.  They'll CERTAINLY survive if they don't acquire any new pets while they are receiving government assistance.  We didn't have any pets when things got bad for us.  If we had...we'd have been forced to rehome them.  We didn't acquire any new pets while things were bad because we were barely getting by ourselves.  we had no business bringing any pets into that situation!

2. They WILL survive if they don't go out to eat, to the movies, or have any other form of entertainment that costs money.  We didn't go out to eat for years.  We didn't go to the movies for years.  We didn't do ANYTHING that cost money for years.  Why?  Because we couldn't afford it.  COMMON SENSE says that if you cannot afford to pay even the most basic of bills on your own, then you don't have the money for extras.  That's part of LIFE.  That's part of being a responsible adult.  We cannot always have everything we want.  We get what we can afford.  Sometimes, that means no extras.  I became an expert, though, at searching out free things to do in our town.  We went to the zoo...when they had free days twice a year.  We went to the park a lot.  We browsed the mall just to get out of the house.  You find ways to make do when you have no other choice.  That's life.

3. Only the essential and most basic of foods is all that's required in order to live and survive.  There's no shame in that.   Should one desire more variety, then they can do what's necessary to learn how to expand their diet from those basic foods. They can learn how to make their own foods from scratch.  Nearly every item that is available out there as a convenience food can be made from scratch with the most basic of foods.  That is how a LOT of Americans who don't receive assistance survive.  There's no shame in asking those who are living off of our dime to eat the same way.  It's a fine way to eat.

4. I've yet to find a library that doesn't offer a free card and free access to the internet with that card.  Even if there's a limit of an hour per day, per card, that can easily be remedied by ensuring that every member of the family has a card.  If someone had a computer before they fell on hard times and feels it's necessary for school or work or something else of the like, then I see no shame in them keeping that computer.  However, internet access is not required just because one has a computer. 

5. Absolutely cable/satellite/Netflix, etc should go.  If someone cannot afford even the most basic of bills on their own, then they have no business having the extras until they can afford it again.  People CAN live without a paid subscription for their TV.  I know.  We did so for years.  We still don't have cable or satellite, but do now have Netflix.  Regardless, if times got tough again...it would be one of the first things to go.  If someone has a TV before times get tough, then I see nothing wrong with them keeping it if it's necessary to their daily life.  For example, we used our TV on a regular basis for homeschooling videos when my kids were younger.  I'd have kept my TV.  However, the TYPE of TV one has can certainly be downgraded.  If one has a flatscreen then they could sell that to gain extra money & buy an old tube TV for $10-$20 at the thrift store.  We STILL don't have a flatscreen or any kind of a "fancy" TV.  Until a year ago, we had one 19" tube TV.  A year ago, we "upgraded" to 2 TVs...by adding a 2nd 19" tube TV to our living room.  We paid $20 for it at the thrift store.  Why?  That's what we could afford...and we're making quite a bit more than we were when things were at their "worst".  But we're still paying for that time so things are still tight.

6. Why SHOULDN'T those who are struggling cancel anything that's unnecessary and sell anything they can to get by before asking for help?  That should happen regardless of whether someone qualifies for aid or not.  That's common sense.  Anything less is unintegral, in my opinion.

7. I agree that if one cannot afford new clothes then they shouldn't buy them.  And if they cannot afford to pay their most basic of bills on their own, then they cannot afford new clothes.  We STILL buy most of our clothes from the clearance rack if new.  However, most of them are purchased used from thrift stores, consignment stores, or garage sales.  Still.  There are a handfull of items that we will pay new prices for now...and even at that, we'll do without until the item is on sale AND we have a coupon.  That's part of being wise with your money; whether you're on aid or not.  Certainly it's necessary if one isn't able to pay their basic bills.

8. Why would that housing situation be bad?  That's more than sufficient.  If someone cannot afford where they are currently living, then common sense would dictate that they'd need to move to a place that they CAN afford.  This will not only lower their rent or mortgage, but would also lower their utility costs.  

9. Of course common sense would dictate that if you are struggling to pay the bills then you're going to want to find the most cost-efficient way of buying anything your household consumes.  For many, that means couponing so that they can get the name-brand items for free.  For others, it means learning how to make their household toiletries and cleaners from scratch.  For some, it's a combination of the two.  (It was for us.)

10. If someone isn't married, then they shouldn't be having sex anyway...but that's a horse for another thread.  If someone IS married, then there's no shame in having sex with his or her spouse.  However, it would be wise to take all precautions necessary to lessen the likelihood of pregnancy if you are not currently able to pay for even the children that you currently have.  Regardless, I'm not sure why you  make it sound like there would be nothing else to do.  There IS more to life than having sex; whether you're married or not.  I cannot imagine having my life be so focused on sex that I cannot even fathom there being something else to do with my time.  How sad.

11. Um.  Yeah.  Again, isn't that common sense?  If you don't have the money to spend then you can't spend it.  See, that's the reality for those who struggle but don't qualify for aid.  If they cannot afford it, then they don't buy it.  Discussion over.  There are a group of people for whom, "there's no money" ACTUALLY means that there is no money...not even from the government.

12. Yup.  That's correct.  And that's exactly what my family did for almost a full year.  If it was yellow, let it mellow.  We used only the master bathroom and only flushed when someone pooped or if there was sufficient toilet paper to necessitate.  We also filled empty bottles and put them in the tanks to save water.   Our kids also took baths together.  And we used the left-over bath water to water our garden.  We hand-washed our clothes...and used the left-over water to water our garden.  We hand-washed our dishes and used hte left-over water to water our garden.  We captured the clean water that ran during our showers to use for washing clothes and then to water our garden.  When you have to find a way to make it on your own (without government assistance) then you do what's necessary.  There's no shame in that. 

13. We didn't only stay awake during daylight hours, but we did conserve energy by not having any lights on during the day.  We didn't use the washing machine, dryer, or dish washer to save energy.  We took clothes off if we were hot, and put more on if we were cold so that we could keep the thermostat at a higher or lower temp (depending on the season).

14. We sold both of our vehicles (that we had previously paid cash for) and bought one older, used vehicle.  We used the left-over money to put on medical bills.  But yes...definitely one should go down to one, cheap (preferably paid-off) vehicle if they are struggling.  Even better, walk as much as you can.  My husband walked to & from work most days to save gas.  Going down to one car saved us on maintenance costs and insurance costs.  We also raised our deductible to the highest we could and dropped down to state minimum insurance.  When I did go out, I planned my trips wisely to make the most use of our gas.  You do what you have to do when you have no other choice.

15. This is just ridiculous.

16. Invasion of privacy?  If you're requiring it of those who are self-supporting?  Yes.  If you're requiring it of those who are recieving government assistance?  No.  If you give someone money that they have not earned, then you reserve the right to place strings on that money.  Don't like the strings?  Don't take the money.  It's that simple.

17. Yup.  Having been there, done that myself...you bet I do!  (Especially when we were paying for others to abuse the system while we were struggling to get by.)

18. What do you mean?  What do you THINK would happen?  They would survive.  They would live.  They would get by.  And they would be stronger, better people for having learned how to make sacrifices instead of having things handed to them when they were struggling.

19. I disagree with you.  I think we have far more people abusing the system than using it properly.  Those who use it properly are off of it within no more than 2 years at the most; most within a year.

20. I HAVE been there...only I didn't have the government to help me get by.  I had to learn how to do it on my own.  I ACTUALLY struggled.  I learned and grew as a result of what I went through.

All of these things that you list are things that those who are struggling SHOULD do...and what those who don't qualify for assistance MUST do.  That's reality.  I don't understand why those who DO qualify for assistance think that they should be exempt from having to make sacrifices if they're struggling.

More people would do better to learn what it means to truly sacrifice and not have things given to them.  The "poor" in this country who qualify for aid have no idea what it's like to REALLY struggle.

Quoting mels712:

with all the concern on here about trying to govern the activities of those on pa i think i came up with an idea. if you cant afford everything on your own heres what you should be allowed and not allowed to do.

1)no pets.

2) dont ever go out to eat to the movies or any other form of entertainment.

3) only the essential and most basic of foods.

4) no internet of computers.

5) no cable or tv even.

6) if you have any of these and are on pa get rid of them.

7) you dont need new clothes there are places you can go that they will give you free second hand clothes you can even get underwear.

8) housing should consist of only enoug roomm for a bedroom for parents and one each for each  gender of children you have and only one bathroom.

9) only buy the cheapest toiletries you can find and the cheapest houshold supplies available.

10) and although you now have absolutly nothing to do but go to work keep house and raise your kids dont have sex either that might inadvetantly lead to another child.

11) dont spend money on anything other than food essential bills and medical care.

12) you might lower your water bill by only flushing after a #2 and sharing bathwater.

13) you could keep your light bill down by only being awake during daylight hours.

14) only own one car per family unless you live in an area where there is access to public transportation then you dont need one.

15) or we could always make those who are on pa live in shelter situations so that every penny they make can be used to get off pa and we can monitor their every breath

16) does this sound llike a stupid invasion of privacy?

17) does anybody have the right to tell others to live like this?

18) what would happen to these people on pa if they were forces to live like this?

19) I bring this up because some people feel that they have the right to regulate the lives of those on pa. I understand that there are those that abuse the system and there always will be. but those who are responsible and use their pa the way it is intended greatly outnumber those who dont. you dont see those people because they vall attention to themselves.

20) SO STOP TREATING ALL OF US WHO NEED A LITTLE EXTRA HELP TO GET BY LIKE WELFARE BUMS! WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ECONOMY YOU COULD EASILY BE ONE OF US ANYTIME!

CafeMom Tickers
KRIZZ25
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:11 PM

don't forget someone comes in and see what thy have to eat ..thy only allow noodles an rice ..that will help the obese issue to.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:17 PM

We love Netflix!

Also, in many major cities, people CAN get up to 50 OTA channels free through a digital antenna. We can't because of our location, but have friends who do. You need a digital converter box if your tv isn't compatible ($20-$40) & an antenna ($20 - $50+). If we ever move further from the mountain we're on, then we'd do this too.

Quoting momma_sam:

and like i basically said on another PA post, ppl dont know everyones story. some ppl benefit a great deal from animals. and they dont need to do without some luxeries like cable or internet. it could be cheaper to go w/o cable though and just use internet. we did that for a while.did w/o cable and just used internet. theres a thing called netflix and it can be cheaper than cable....for the most part it kinda is.

momma_sam
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM

we did the converter box thing when i first moved back in with dh. my mom talked me into it so i wouldnt go completally nuts when dh was at work and i was alone.

Quoting moneysaver6:

We love Netflix!

Also, in many major cities, people CAN get up to 50 OTA channels free through a digital antenna. We can't because of our location, but have friends who do. You need a digital converter box if your tv isn't compatible ($20-$40) & an antenna ($20 - $50+). If we ever move further from the mountain we're on, then we'd do this too.

Quoting momma_sam:

and like i basically said on another PA post, ppl dont know everyones story. some ppl benefit a great deal from animals. and they dont need to do without some luxeries like cable or internet. it could be cheaper to go w/o cable though and just use internet. we did that for a while.did w/o cable and just used internet. theres a thing called netflix and it can be cheaper than cable....for the most part it kinda is.

CafeMom Tickers
moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Something to remember is that if abuse can be curbed, then more people who need public assistance can get the help they need.

Quoting phoenixmom2011:

While I do not agree that everyone should say what you can or cannot do with PA you need to stop and think. In your household because you are the parent and are responsible for feeding and sheltering and clothing your children you therefore also make the rules. Well it is the same for the government they are feeding, sheltering, and clothing you should they not have a say in how it is done. If you do not want the government dictating how things should be done take a look around and blame the idiots that are taking advantage of the system and not the government and the people who want to see the system work properly or have it disbaned altogether.
helema24
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

lol girl i was bou tto rip into you till i got to the end!! the house and vehicles we have are in his brothers name cause he bought them and my husband tries to work them off when there is work. we need internet to communicate and godforbid we use them to help with bills and find a job. and i hate it when people look at us at a resteraunt or hear we went to one and scoff... they do know we can eat at certain places that will use food stamps for the food right? also if ous SOs want to take us out one night or day outta the month to eat is that a crime? fo rthose that can afford to eat out everyday and have everything in their names and dont have to wait for their BIL to come pay for something to get fixed which can take days....id like to trade lives with them. even just for a day so they see what its like to have to buy the non brand food in bulk and hear their kids complain about noodles again or rice again when other kids get other things....heck id LOVE to be able to buy the brand name foods and fresh produce in a quantity that could choke a cow...just so i can throw half of it out....but hey they will never understand! they are snobish and accuse us of mooching off of them when we PAY our taxes when we can and are charged more than some of them on the slider scale they use for tax dues.....ill just sit here and eat my popcorn while they fall on their arses and need help too!! popcorn

mels712
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I was refering to the cash payments. most states dont allow you to keep getting bigger and bigger checks for more kids. the max allowed for a family of 3 in mo and ia is just over 400 and you have to prove 40hrs a week looking 4 work and if you get child support the state keeps that even if it exceeds you cash assistance that should be a big detterent for the frauds because you cant live on that

Quoting moneysaver6:

Welfare is NOT minimal. The amount given in food stamps alone is more than struggling families who don't qualify for assistance could ever have to spend in a month.

If you are accepting a helping hand from someone, even the government, then they have the right to place strings on that money. If you don't like the strings, don't take the money.

Quoting mels712:

im not saying that she should get away with it but how does she live? welfare is so very minimal how does she pay any bills? I think it is a matter of poor parrenting. and there should requirements about looking for work or attending classes to better yourself. welfare should not be a way of life only a helping hand. but invasion of the privacy of good honest people is not the answer. I buy most of my clothes and kids clothes at second hand shops and that is a financial desicion not something anyone has the right to tell me to do

mels712
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

ok I think I need to clear a few things up here. do I think people are too much in each others business? yes! do I think pa get abused? of course it does. there are some who will do nothing for themselves if they can get it for free. do I think people who are struggling should cut back espenses? sure but its not for me to gecide how that has to be a personal and family descision. Do I thinnk there should be some limits on what a person can buy with food stamps? maybe I think that they should set a % or dollar amount that one can spend on snacks like cookies chip or soda. but I also think that by limiting that they could open that up to allow for tp and other basic toiletries again with a set amount. I think that when considering how to handle the pa situation people should remember that there is almost nobody that actuall enjoys living on pa. sometimes those that appear to enjoy it just dont see anyother way many times they are people who grew up on pa and that is the only way of life they know. some people are too depressed to think they are good enough to ever be able to support themselves. some are single parents coming out of a bad situation needing a helping hand while they sort out their lives and get back on their feet. some have suffered unforseen tragedy or expenses. many these days are people who were 100% self sufficient but have lost their jobs and now cant pay their bills. everyone has a story. I do know that there are those that dont try to help themselves and play the system but remember while they may always be on pa they will also never have the happiness and satisfaction of making something of themselves or at least having tried.

heres my story. you decide. I graduated high school in 1993. my parents werent concerned with my grades as long as i passed. my high school counselor caid i want college material and I should just accept if. I still though I might give it a try ina year or 2. that next spring i met a man and we were married by dec. we decided that i would carry the traditional role of housewife and would work part time when we needed extra income. he made good money usually between 30 to 60 a year. except for the year I got pregnant. we had tried to have children before while fully insured only to be told that I couldnt have children. the year I got pregnant he made only 18 and we had no ins. i had to go medicaid and suffer the humiliation that the health dept and drs put you through. they treated me like and ignorant unwed teenager. one doctor even tried to convince me that I should have an abortion. well I had the baby inicome increased and we were off medicaid. Less than 2 years later my now ex husband had just changed jobs yet again and I missed a pill. I wasnt on the shot or something more permanent because I have a pretty bad phobia of needles. So on the medicaid i was again. same story baby born off medicaid.  now job stability is getting worse. he keeps quitting and starting new jobs so I cant keep ins. he starts nagging me to find work. I tell him that with 2 kids at home daycare would take my entire check since I have no training for anything other than min wage work. I tell him i need to go back to school. he says no and we cant work it so that I work when hes home cause hes not home hes a trucker. now in our relationship he was a complete control freak and verbally and mentall abusive. finally in 2010 ive had enough of being told what to do when and how to do it. i was watching my children treat people the way he did and decided that it was over. I moved the family into a small ramshakle trailer house so the rent would be nice and low then I kicked him out. I was workinig parttime since the kids were both in school but it was nowhere near enough. the food started to run out bills were unpaid and there was no child support coming in. finally i had to do something. I was trying to find more work but with no luck. my choices were to turn my children over to the state to be cared for or apply for pa. I applied I got medical for the kids and fs. I didnt get cash assistance but the state did go after my ex for child support. even once ordered he rarely paid. I was enrolled in program designed to help me find work and learn to make it as a sigle mom. One of my workers after finding out what I liked to do and was passionate about told me that I needed a degree in human services. I told her that I couldnt afford to go to college. she told me at this point i dont think you can afford not to go. so now finally divorced and enrolled in college I survive on student loans and fs and the occasional child support payment. I am not a deadbeat I do not abuse the system and I plan to be fully slef sufficient. It may seem like a ling time but my goal at this point is to be off pa in 3.5 yrs. I have about 3yrs of college left and hope to be working full time and off the pa in 6 months or less. when I get my stugent loans I pay my bills for the next 3 months buy thing for the house that are needed then I take and spend one day or evening and take my children to do something fun and spoil them a little. the rest of the money gets put up to cover living expenses. I also get the dog (who I had before I threw out the ex)any care he may be needing. I groom him myself because I think spending 30 a month for his haircuts is crazy now that i cant afford it. I cut the kids hair myself and I have only had 2 haircuts since i threw my ex out in 2010. I rarely eat out and when I do its cause my bf took me on a date. same with movies. I do occaisionly spoil  myself with a cappucino for a gas station or a fountain soda. I still wear the same clothes I have been for the last 3yrs except for a few clearance things I bought cheap. I do have internet but its cheaper to pay for internet than a sitter so i can go to ther school to get work done. I have cable but thats because its cheap in the pachage with the internet. and cable tv goes a long way on entertaing a hyperactive autistic child. so you decide am i frauding the system? shoud  i have stayed married and suffered the abuse and watched my children be ruined for financial security? or am I doing the best thing i can for my children? btw when I graduate community college ina year ill have my aa and when I graduate 2yrs after that i will have a bachelors in psychology and human services (just a little bragging there cause im feelin good about it right n  ow)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN