Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

food stamps wic and other forms of pa

Posted by   + Show Post

with all the concern on here about trying to govern the activities of those on pa i think i came up with an idea. if you cant afford everything on your own heres what you should be allowed and not allowed to do.

no pets.

dont ever go out to eat to the movies or any other form of entertainment.

only the essential and most basic of foods. no internet of computers.

no cable or tv even.

if you have any of these and are on pa get rid of them.

you dont need new clothes there are places you can go that they will give you free second hand clothes you can even get underwear.

housing should consist of only enoug roomm for a bedroom for parents and one each for each gender of children you have and only one bathroom.

only buy the cheapest toiletries you can find and the cheapest houshold supplies available.

and although you now have absolutly nothing to do but go to work keep house and raise your kids dont have sex either that might inadvetantly lead to another child.

dont spend money on anything other than food essential bills and medical care.

you might lower your water bill by only flushing after a #2 and sharing bathwater.

you could keep your light bill down by only being awake during daylight hours.

only own one car per family unless you live in an area where there is access to public transportation then you dont need one.

or we could always make those who are on pa live in shelter situations so that every penny they make can be used to get off pa and we can monitor their every breath

does this sound llike a stupid invasion of privacy?

does anybody have the right to tell others to live like this?

what would happen to these people on pa if they were forces to live like this?

I bring this up because some people feel that they have the right to regulate the lives of those on pa. I understand that there are those that abuse the system and there always will be. but those who are responsible and use their pa the way it is intended greatly outnumber those who dont. you dont see those people because they vall attention to themselves.

SO STOP TREATING ALL OF US WHO NEED A LITTLE EXTRA HELP TO GET BY LIKE WELFARE BUMS! WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF THE ECONOMY YOU COULD EASILY BE ONE OF US ANYTIME!

by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Replies (231-240):
mels712
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

then either they are better than me or something suffers. if their parenting suffers then they are bad parents. if their work suffers they will get fired. if their schooling suffers then they are wasting money being there. me I choose to as much as I can do well. and for me that is school and parenting

Quoting Tanya93:

and yet many, many women do it.....

mels712
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

so there are no lies on the internet but college textbooks are full of them?

Quoting Tanya93:

Yeah.   That must be it.   I can't actually know that the 1% pays a huge chunk of taxes in this country

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/how-much-americans-actually-pay-in-taxes/

The 1% pay taxes.   The problem is the 50% living off the some sort of PA not paying a single dime in federal taxes.

I am getting the feeling that you must be in that 1% and your conscience is eating at you or you plain dont know what your talking about. do you mean that the text books are full of lies? oh no say it isnt true! those in control would never lie to the masses!

Quoting Tanya93:

Then your professor is stupid, ignorant, or lying.   The 1% pays a huge chunk of the taxes in this country.

Quoting mels712:

why do you think its ignorance? do you think i just make things up? these are things ive recently learned in sociology classses. these people avoid taxes because they dont have earned income. the majority of their money is either old family money and or their businesses are overseas. there are other ways they keep their money that they dont have to pay taxes. and lets not forget about the massive amounts of welfare money given to major corporation in the form of bailouts that have not been used properly or refunded. 

Quoting Tanya93:

It is complete ignorance to say the 1% doesn't pay taxes.

Quoting mels712:

you know the government is broke. but I dont think it has all that much to do with pa. it has to do with irresponsible spending in washington the way the tax system is set up that allows the richest 1% of our population to avoid paying taxes at all. an dont forget all the people that dont pay the taxes they owe. it has been estimated that if the government collected all the back taxes people in this country owe we wouuldnt be in debt anymore. Darn that ex husband of mine who didnt pay for 6 yrs that I know of 

Quoting moneysaver6:

The problem that a LOT of people have with keeping their finances in order is that they don't look at the big picture.  More and more people qualify for aid, more people are abusing it, our government is paying more out and is now BROKE.  It doesn't matter if 1% or all 26% of our income goes into paying for welfare.  I have a say in how ALL of my taxes are spent; including the taxes spent on welfare.

I've not seen anyone advocate complete control of those on welfare, though.  Many have simply advocated for a reduction in food stamp amounts to more normal amounts for families of that size &/or for it to be run as a WIC-like program.  Any funds distributed they have suggested instead go to specific things like rent, utilities, a bus card or a gas card.  There are no other necessities that wouldn't be covered by food stamps or mediciad (which someone qualifying for cash aid would get) that someone would need.  Many also believe that EIC should be eliminated completely.

NO WHERE in there is someone trying to control the lives of those receiving public assistance.  They're merely trying to help reign in the spending so that our government spends less total on welfare &/or has more funds to distribute to those needing welfare.

Quoting TigerLily2901:

Does anyone have a link on exactly HOW MUCH of their tax dollars go to people on public assistance. Is it SUCH a huge amount that they feel they should have a say in what people on pa do to reach the quality of life they want?  Why do people care so much how people on pa budget the money the government gives them? When they give someone pa they don't add in money especially for entertainment, luxury, or snacks. So if they want it they have to budget for it. And if they choose to not have running water for a while because they want cable why do you care so much? How exactly does it affect your life?  It's so disgusting how controlling people want to be of others. 

Tanya93
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So which textbook says the 1% pays no taxes?   I mean, I am very close to many economists, so I would like to know what book does that so I can tell them about it.

Quoting mels712:

Quoting Tanya93:

Yeah.   That must be it.   I can't actually know that the 1% pays a huge chunk of taxes in this country

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/how-much-americans-actually-pay-in-taxes/

The 1% pay taxes.   The problem is the 50% living off the some sort of PA not paying a single dime in federal taxes.

I am getting the feeling that you must be in that 1% and your conscience is eating at you or you plain dont know what your talking about. do you mean that the text books are full of lies? oh no say it isnt true! those in control would never lie to the masses!

Quoting Tanya93:

Then your professor is stupid, ignorant, or lying.   The 1% pays a huge chunk of the taxes in this country.

Quoting mels712:

why do you think its ignorance? do you think i just make things up? these are things ive recently learned in sociology classses. these people avoid taxes because they dont have earned income. the majority of their money is either old family money and or their businesses are overseas. there are other ways they keep their money that they dont have to pay taxes. and lets not forget about the massive amounts of welfare money given to major corporation in the form of bailouts that have not been used properly or refunded. 

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting mels712:

you know the government is broke. but I dont think it has all that much to do with pa. it has to do with irresponsible spending in washington the way the tax system is set up that allows the richest 1% of our population to avoid paying taxes at all. an dont forget all the people that dont pay the taxes they owe. it has been estimated that if the government collected all the back taxes people in this country owe we wouuldnt be in debt anymore. Darn that ex husband of mine who didnt pay for 6 yrs that I know of 

Quoting moneysaver6:

The problem that a LOT of people have with keeping their finances in order is that they don't look at the big picture.  More and more people qualify for aid, more people are abusing it, our government is paying more out and is now BROKE.  It doesn't matter if 1% or all 26% of our income goes into paying for welfare.  I have a say in how ALL of my taxes are spent; including the taxes spent on welfare.

I've not seen anyone advocate complete control of those on welfare, though.  Many have simply advocated for a reduction in food stamp amounts to more normal amounts for families of that size &/or for it to be run as a WIC-like program.  Any funds distributed they have suggested instead go to specific things like rent, utilities, a bus card or a gas card.  There are no other necessities that wouldn't be covered by food stamps or mediciad (which someone qualifying for cash aid would get) that someone would need.  Many also believe that EIC should be eliminated completely.

NO WHERE in there is someone trying to control the lives of those receiving public assistance.  They're merely trying to help reign in the spending so that our government spends less total on welfare &/or has more funds to distribute to those needing welfare.

Quoting TigerLily2901:

Does anyone have a link on exactly HOW MUCH of their tax dollars go to people on public assistance. Is it SUCH a huge amount that they feel they should have a say in what people on pa do to reach the quality of life they want?  Why do people care so much how people on pa budget the money the government gives them? When they give someone pa they don't add in money especially for entertainment, luxury, or snacks. So if they want it they have to budget for it. And if they choose to not have running water for a while because they want cable why do you care so much? How exactly does it affect your life?  It's so disgusting how controlling people want to be of others. 

WilsMom2006
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

There are many cases where people who do receive PA  ARE paying into the system...they ARE working, but their income is so low that they meet the requirements to get the aid. And thank you for reminding people that they may become one of the many who have to swallow their pride and apply for assistance.... and it doesn't last forever - there IS a cut-off.

Quoting Liz_Rocket:

I don't think anyone on here is treating anyone like bums. People who aren't on PA have a vested interest in those who are because, well, they're paying for it. I don't think it's uncalled for to expect minimal personal financial responsibility in regards to what PA is spent on. 

Stop treating those who pay for PA like assholes. If the economy gets better, you could be one of us. Then you'll see what everyone's bitching about.

SFerber
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is "earned" income then it is private money and can be spent any way you choose...PA is PUBLIC money, taken from taxpayers.  So I would say shared sacrifice is reasonable.

Quoting mels712:

I never said that some of that stuff wasnt perfectly reasonable. my point was that if the public gets to dictate what another can or cant do where will it stop because what seems ridiculous to one may seem reasonable to another. but to answer your question as to what i am willing to do here goes. I keep internet to be able to keep up with my classes otherwise I would cancel. the only reason there is more than one tv in my house is because my ex bought one for the kids to play the video game system that he also bought. If i didnt get the cable cheap with the internet I wouldnt have that either. sex: no i havent given that up but I am on bc even though my chances of getting prego again are slim and my bf pays for the bc. we dont share bathwater but we do limit shower time and we dont actually take baths as it uses more water than showers. although when I was a kid we did have to share bathwater. we do flush everytime we go im not sure I could geve that up. we may be up after dark but we try to make sure all unused lights are off sometimes even lighting with candles that I make myself in my basement. after using the oven I leave the door open to let the residule heat escape so the furnace wont turn on as soon. if it is summer I try to avoid using the oven. as ive said before the only time i eat out or go to a movie is when my bf takes me on a date and the once every 3 or 4 months i take the kids out. we buy generic almost everything even with the fs. I didnt get rid of the dog i already had when I went on pa. having that dog around helped me and my kids through some of the most difficult times in my and my sons lives. we did however get rid of the cats because we realized we had to make a choice so we could cut back. I lived until recently first in a craphole trailer but when the ceiling fell in on my head and the sewer backed up repeatedly and the landlord wouldnt fix anything I move to a tiny 2 bedroom house. it was cramped and we could barely turn around wuthout running into each other but we tried to make do. soon after my youngest was diagnosed pdd nos and in discussions with his doctor i discovers al lot of the violence frustrations and anger was impacted by our cramps quarters. so i was forced to seek a bigger place to avoid placing my son in a residential facility. I do have snacks for the kids but usually fresh fruits veggies nuts or crackers. i dont usually buy chips cookies or soda.. I think I have coverd everything on my list. I am someone who used to always have cable or satelite the expensive ones house with plenty of room ate what I wanted. we werent rich so we didnt go out much but we did ok. there was also a period in my life where I didnt qualify for much needed assistance and had to cancel cable internet and I went hungry so the kids could eat.

Quoting SFerber:

Sorry to say but there are a number of things on your list that I would say should go.  They are privileges and not rights. Go back over your list and let us know what you are really willing to do, to get a little leg up so you can get off PA the modern day slavery system and gain your freedom.

mels712
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

everyone wants to keep harping on how terrible it is that people sometimes have to go on pa to get by but noone wants to answer the question I posed. Should I have stayed with a man who was an abusive husband and father just to have stayed off pa?

WilsMom2006
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

The government can track the purchases that people are make using their government funds..... If it is being abused so much why hasn't the government taken action?

mels712
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

ive already sold the textbook at buyback so I dont have the name of it and I dont beleive much of what economists say. they say what they are topld to say. the rich control this country. end of story. they get what they want when they want how they want and can make themselves look good in the proccess. Are they all that way? probably not but just like those on pa there are enough of them to make you all look bad.

Quoting Tanya93:

So which textbook says the 1% pays no taxes?   I mean, I am very close to many economists, so I would like to know what book does that so I can tell them about it.

Quoting mels712:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting mels712:

Quoting Tanya93:

Quoting mels712:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Quoting TigerLily2901:

Tanya93
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

ah yes, lovely.   You can't actually name textbook when confronted with facts.

mels712
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

perhaps but when attempting to give me facts you give me a .com website which anyone can put up as oppossed to a .gov or .edu and you cant expect me to keep track of the name of every textbook I use. im just glad to be finishe with one and start another. cause thats one step closer to being who ans what i want to be. your approval is not nor will it ever be needed

Quoting Tanya93:

ah yes, lovely.   You can't actually name textbook when confronted with facts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)