Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bill Maher Unbaptizes Romney's Father-in-Law...Does THIS offend mormons? S/O

Posted by   + Show Post

If you don't want to watch the whole thing (it is worth it), the unbatism begins at 3:45...

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ahyb
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion belives you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Ahyb:

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion belives you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

The problem is that baptising the dead, especially those you knew would NEVER have agreed to it, is extremelly disrespectful. In my opinion its in essence raping the dead, forcing something you want on them that they in no way wanted.

magpie03
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Love Bill Maher- I don't know whether Mormons would be offended by this, but I would suggest they have no right to be offended. If it bothers them that someone does not respect their religion, they should start by respecting others' religions (or lack thereof).

Ahyb
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Well equating baptism with rape is a bit extreme. 

The family just wants to know they will be able to see him in their afterlife. If my surviving family wanted to do that after I was already dead. I obviously wouldn't object as I'd be dead, but on the other hand I wouldn't do it in life for any reason. If they wanted to do it for their comfort and faith after I've passed then by all means they could and thinking on it now I would have no problem with it. 

Maher just disrespected the entire family and a religion on television by doing that for no reason other than to gain views and publicity and perpetrate his views on religion to the public. I think that is more wrong that wanting to see your loved one in the afterlife. 

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion believes you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

The problem is that baptising the dead, especially those you knew would NEVER have agreed to it, is extremelly disrespectful. In my opinion its in essence raping the dead, forcing something you want on them that they in no way wanted.

CafeMom Tickers
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

It is spiritual rape, and it IS extreme, it's also extremelly wrong and disrespectful.

Quoting Ahyb:

The family just wants to know they will be able to see him in their afterlife. If my surviving family wanted to do that after I was already dead. I obviously wouldn't object as I'd be dead, but on the other hand I wouldn't do it in life for any reason. If they wanted to do it for their comfort and faith after I've passed then by all means they could and thinking on it now I would have no problem with it. 

Maher just disrespected the entire family and a religion on television by doing that for no reason other than to gain views and publicity and perpetrate his views on religion to the public. I think that is more wrong that wanting to see your loved one in the afterlife. 

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion believes you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

Ahyb
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What kind of Atheist believes in Spirit?

Quoting Arroree:

It is spiritual rape, and it IS extreme, it's also extremelly wrong and disrespectful.

Quoting Ahyb:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

CafeMom Tickers
DemocraticMama
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I Love Bill Maher!!! 

Mommy, wifey, and Progressive Christian "In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." ~H.L. Mencken

celeciag
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Couldn't care less. Oh I'm a Mormon :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Whether or not they believe in spirit isn't the point. The point is simple, if you do something to someone against their will, that you know they want nothing to do with and were completely against, that is a form of rape. If you're doing it with the belief that you're doing it to/for their spirit/soul then you are in essence spiritually raping them.

Quoting Ahyb:

What kind of Atheist believes in Spirit?

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

celeciag
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Lol sorry you feel that way but if you don't believe in it it can't hurt you. Sorta like Freddy kruerger

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN