Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bill Maher Unbaptizes Romney's Father-in-Law...Does THIS offend mormons? S/O

Posted by   + Show Post

If you don't want to watch the whole thing (it is worth it), the unbatism begins at 3:45...

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
kaycersmom
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I didn't assume you were or weren't an atheist, I thought you could possibly know or someone who does know would reply to that question.

I guess we just have very different opinions on the afterlife lol. If jews have it right, why would there be a mormon heaven? If mormons are right, why would there be a jewish heaven? you don't have to answer those, that's my way of thinking as far as the afterlife goes.

Jewish people asked the mormons to take their names off the list, they unbaptised them for the dead. . or so I heard lol kind of random I just thought that was interesting. and

RAPE

RaPe

rape

fucking RAPE

cause it's so fun to overuse that word on every page in an unrelated to rape religious argument.

Quoting Arroree:

Not all those being baptised in death are Atheists, many of them were Jewish, so they very much had an afterlife. They were yanked out of their heaven and dragged to the mormon afterlife and forced to make a choice. Spiritual rape, spiritual kidnapping, any way you look at it this is a horrific practice and extremely disrespectful to the dead.

Why does everyone keep asking me about Atheists? Do you all assume i'm an Atheist simply because i'm against this spiritual attack?

Quoting kaycersmom:

Do Atheists believe in an afterlife?

I do actually like your analogy better lol but if the mormons have it wrong, then that baptism would just be void in the afterlife. Like praying for an atheist, if they don't believe it and it's not real then what has it done?

Quoting Arroree:

Oh i get what you're saying but not sure if you really get what you're saying. A better analogy would be if you send a team of men in masks to kidnap me out of my bath to drag me off to your bath then ask "well do you want your bath or mine" This is in essance forcing their spirits out of whatever afterlife they may happily be in and making them choose to either find their way back to their afterlife or go to yours.

Force is still force.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

There are many forms of rape, one form in no way lessens the vileness of any of the others.

rape

1 [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.

noun

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
Quoting kaycersmom:

I didn't assume you were or weren't an atheist, I thought you could possibly know or someone who does know would reply to that question.

I guess we just have very different opinions on the afterlife lol. If jews have it right, why would there be a mormon heaven? If mormons are right, why would there be a jewish heaven? you don't have to answer those, that's my way of thinking as far as the afterlife goes.

Jewish people asked the mormons to take their names off the list, they unbaptised them for the dead. . or so I heard lol kind of random I just thought that was interesting. and

RAPE

RaPe

rape

fucking RAPE

cause it's so fun to overuse that word on every page in an unrelated to rape religious argument.

Quoting Arroree:

Not all those being baptised in death are Atheists, many of them were Jewish, so they very much had an afterlife. They were yanked out of their heaven and dragged to the mormon afterlife and forced to make a choice. Spiritual rape, spiritual kidnapping, any way you look at it this is a horrific practice and extremely disrespectful to the dead.

Why does everyone keep asking me about Atheists? Do you all assume i'm an Atheist simply because i'm against this spiritual attack?

Quoting kaycersmom:

Do Atheists believe in an afterlife?

I do actually like your analogy better lol but if the mormons have it wrong, then that baptism would just be void in the afterlife. Like praying for an atheist, if they don't believe it and it's not real then what has it done?

Quoting Arroree:

Oh i get what you're saying but not sure if you really get what you're saying. A better analogy would be if you send a team of men in masks to kidnap me out of my bath to drag me off to your bath then ask "well do you want your bath or mine" This is in essance forcing their spirits out of whatever afterlife they may happily be in and making them choose to either find their way back to their afterlife or go to yours.

Force is still force.

kaycersmom
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Surprisingly I am aware there's more then one definition, doesn't change my opinion. When I see someone who loves to use that word it's a little off-putting, but whatever helps you(in general) pack a punch, that's cm for ya

Quoting Arroree:

There are many forms of rape, one form in no way lessens the vileness of any of the others.

rape

noun

an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
Quoting kaycersmom:

RAPE

RaPe

rape

fucking RAPE

Quoting Arroree:

Not all those being baptised in death are Atheists, many of them were Jewish, so they very much had an afterlife. They were yanked out of their heaven and dragged to the mormonafterlife and forced to make a choice. Spiritual rape, spiritual kidnapping, any way you look at it this is a horrific practice and extremely disrespectful to the dead.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Actually i don't "love" to use the word. In fact this is the only thread i've used it in other than the "should women on pa be allowed to have more kids" thread, and it was fitting in that one and fits in this one.

So sorry you don't approve of a word being used appropriately.

Quoting kaycersmom:

Surprisingly I am aware there's more then one definition, doesn't change my opinion. When I see someone who loves to use that word it's a little off-putting, but whatever helps you(in general) pack a punch, that's cm for ya

Quoting Arroree:

rape

noun

Quoting kaycersmom:

RAPE

RaPe

rape

fucking RAPE

Quoting Arroree:

Not all those being baptised in death are Atheists, many of them were Jewish, so they very much had an afterlife. They were yanked out of their heaven and dragged to the mormonafterlife and forced to make a choice. Spiritual rape, spiritual kidnapping, any way you look at it this is a horrific practice and extremely disrespectful to the dead.

kaycersmom
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Apology

. . . wait for it. . .

accepted!

Quoting Arroree:

Actually i don't "love" to use the word. In fact this is the only thread i've used it in other than the "should women on pa be allowed to have more kids" thread, and it was fitting in that one and fits in this one.

So sorry you don't approve of a word being used appropriately.

Quoting kaycersmom:

Quoting Arroree:

rape

noun

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Quoting Arroree:
Quoting kaycersmom:

I just thought that was interesting. and

RAPE

RaPe

rape

fucking RAPE

rape

noun

All rape is violation.

Not all violation is rape.

People do use "rape" as a metaphor (cf "rape of the countryside"), but I disagree with this usage.  I think such usage does weaken the power of using "rape" to solely refer to sexual violation, and should be discouraged.

writethisdown
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Baptisms for the dead arent really an issue of force. Its so *if* that persons spirits decides to accept Christ in the afterlife, the physical act of baptism has been fufilled for them. And personally i do think its offensive to go on tv and bash someones religion like that but i get that its acceptable because its LDS and people think its a cult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChiliFlies
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:12 AM

I doubt anyone with their head screwed on straight gives a hoot either way, let alone the gods (or whatever). This is just sposed to be a dig at the guy by someone over-using what "power" he feels he has, which really isn't anything so no one can prove any religious cult is correct or not.

And if he's dead already, then his lifeforce has already moved on and out of the living's hands, so its rather moot.

Annett564
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Quoting stringtheory:

Lol @ "atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position."

MlkandCookies
by Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Kinda, although Mormons believe (more or less) that you are told "hey someone baptized by proxy for you, do you want to accept it or not" and they still have the option to reject it.  They just want to make sure everyone has the chance to be baptized.

I still don't like the practice myself, but just wanted to get that out there.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion belives you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

The problem is that baptising the dead, especially those you knew would NEVER have agreed to it, is extremelly disrespectful. In my opinion its in essence raping the dead, forcing something you want on them that they in no way wanted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)