Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bill Maher Unbaptizes Romney's Father-in-Law...Does THIS offend mormons? S/O

Posted by   + Show Post

If you don't want to watch the whole thing (it is worth it), the unbatism begins at 3:45...

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
writethisdown
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:21 AM
Baptisms for the dead arent really an issue of force. Its so *if* that persons spirits decides to accept Christ in the afterlife, the physical act of baptism has been fufilled for them. And personally i do think its offensive to go on tv and bash someones religion like that but i get that its acceptable because its LDS and people think its a cult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Feb. 16, 2012 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting writethisdown:

Baptisms for the dead arent really an issue of force. Its so *if* that persons spirits decides to accept Christ in the afterlife, the physical act of baptism has been fufilled for them. And personally i do think its offensive to go on tv and bash someones religion like that but i get that its acceptable because its LDS and people think its a cult.

He's got the option to decline the debaptism if he chooses.

Disrespect is a two-way street. 

There's Zoloft, Welbutrin, there's Paxil that's proven, no side effects.  But the rest left unnamed 'cause they worked like a charm on me. (The Answer)

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kaycersmom:

Do Atheists believe in an afterlife?

I do actually like your analogy better lol but if the mormons have it wrong, then that baptism would just be void in the afterlife. Like praying for an atheist, if they don't believe it and it's not real then what has it done?

Quoting Arroree:

Oh i get what you're saying but not sure if you really get what you're saying. A better analogy would be if you send a team of men in masks to kidnap me out of my bath to drag me off to your bath then ask "well do you want your bath or mine" This is in essance forcing their spirits out of whatever afterlife they may happily be in and making them choose to either find their way back to their afterlife or go to yours.

Force is still force.

Quoting kaycersmom:

Ya but they do know they would want it. Right or wrong they believe that person will want that after they die. You still have a choice to accept that baptism. Like if I called a restaurant and made a reservation in your name, they call you to confirm and you say no fucking thank you, were you forced to go to that restaurant cause I put your name on a list? Dumb analogy I know, but I don't think you were getting what Im saying

The harm that is being done is being done to Mormons.

Mormons look pushy, disrespectful, arrogant, and even cruel to insist on baptising people after they are dead and against their express wishes.

Do I think it does anything "real" to the dead person?  No, they are dead, and I don't believe in God or afterlife.

But I do believe in giving people respect, and if someone is another religion, just because you're related to them, doesn't give you the right to do something to them after they are dead because it pleases YOU.

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Quoting writethisdown:

No, its acceptable because the Mormon way of baptising someone against their wishes in life, because they are dead and can no longer object, is disgracefully disrespectful.

Sometimes disrespect is met with disrespect.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Bill Maher is a dope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChiliFlies
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Amen to the baptizing against wishes. I was forced as a kid to get baptised by my Mormon parents. I was never into that cult and never will be. But even though I was only a little kid, the Mormons have me on record as a Mormon and its too much a pain in the neck to get yourself removed. I dont think your supposed to make a contract with a minor but I guess in the case of religious freedoms that doesnt apply. I got zero choice to be what I wanted.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting writethisdown:

No, its acceptable because the Mormon way of baptising someone against their wishes in life, because they are dead and can no longer object, is disgracefully disrespectful.

Sometimes disrespect is met with disrespect.

ChiliFlies
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I agree but what if all this was just some human belief that we simply turn back into energy and thats it...no one waiting for us...no one judging.... I personally feel what happens after death is not anything we can comprehend and that traditional religions have it all wrong and have no way of knowing anything. Humans have an inate need to know everything and what we can't figure out, we "fill in" with magic and religion until we do find out for ourselves. Its been that way all thru human history. And sadly in some cases some church "rules" are just for the sake of power and control under the guise of gods' wishes.

Quoting writethisdown:

muslimah
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:39 AM

lol

Click to join

Annett564
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Quoting stringtheory:

Lol @ "atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position."

xo.MommyW.xo
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Not for nothing but it was a SKIT A JOKE. He used the powers bestowed from the blair witch, do you really think he unbaptized anybody? Smh

Quoting Ahyb:

Well equating baptism with rape is a bit extreme. 

The family just wants to know they will be able to see him in their afterlife. If my surviving family wanted to do that after I was already dead. I obviously wouldn't object as I'd be dead, but on the other hand I wouldn't do it in life for any reason. If they wanted to do it for their comfort and faith after I've passed then by all means they could and thinking on it now I would have no problem with it. 

Maher just disrespected the entire family and a religion on television by doing that for no reason other than to gain views and publicity and perpetrate his views on religion to the public. I think that is more wrong that wanting to see your loved one in the afterlife. 

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ahyb:

I'm an atheist myself. However, I think it was wrong to unbaptize him. The Mormon religion believes you must be baptized as a Mormon (in life or death I suppose) to go to their highest level of the afterlife. It's more for his family to have that reassurance and isn't that all religion is, reassurance?

The problem is that baptising the dead, especially those you knew would NEVER have agreed to it, is extremelly disrespectful. In my opinion its in essence raping the dead, forcing something you want on them that they in no way wanted.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN