Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have cable and recieve food stamps--spinoff thread

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 747 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is a spin off from the other foodstamp thread. I am being lambasted by a certain member who is totally appalled that I have a basic cable package yet receive fs. She insists that the taxpayers are the ones paying the cable bill. Is it so umreasonable that I have cable and recieve fs?  I had cable well before I ever got on assistance. Apparently, I should have cut the cable and used that $20 to buy groceries for the month.This member was also upset because I have something that many non fs users can't afford. I should have gotten rid of cable to show solidarity for those who can't afford it.

by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.lovemygirls.
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell that member to go somewhere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tanya93
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM
27 moms liked this

the member is me

I think if you can't pay for your child without government assistance, you need to be as frugal as you can be.

I don't understand why people who can't pay for themselves or their kids need the help of the tax payers.

She isn't going to work,   So we need to pay for her cable.

GravyRule
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Kill the dead horse.

PortiaRose
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't understand how food has anything to do with cable. She never mentioned whether or not she has cash aid or uses it to pay the cable bill... I don't know what state the op is in, but in ca they amount of bills you have effects fs. So the more bills you have the more fs you get. That's what my worker told me.

Quoting Tanya93:

the member is me

I think if you can't pay for your child without government assistance, you need to be as frugal as you can be.

I don't understand why people who can't pay for themselves or their kids need the help of the tax payers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teambLue_2009
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

i am on fs.. work 2 jobs.. pay my own rent.. my own cable .. my own cell phone bill.. car insurance... i dont get assistance with any of the above things besides the food stamps.

Tanya93
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM
6 moms liked this

If you can't afford food,  you can't afford other stuff.

Yeah, that is so mean

Quoting PortiaRose:

I don't understand how food has anything to do with cable. She never mentioned whether or not she has cash aid or uses it to pay the cable bill... I don't know what state the op is in, but in ca they amount of bills you have effects fs. So the more bills you have the more fs you get. That's what my worker told me.

Quoting Tanya93:

the member is me

Tanya93
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM
15 moms liked this

and you can have things like cable because others pay to feed you and your kids.

Quoting teambLue_2009:

i am on fs.. work 2 jobs.. pay my own rent.. my own cable .. my own cell phone bill.. car insurance... i dont get assistance with any of the above things besides the food stamps.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I doubt cable is a bill they consider...you are thinking utilities and such...and if it did count, that would make it even worse since you (general) would be getting more money simply for having a needless expense.

Now, as to the op: I do not have cable because I consider it one of the biggest ripoffs to consumers...internet can be articulated as a useful expense, AND you can watch cable programs on it and hook it up to the t.v. on top of that...I don't judge people for having cable if they are on food stamps, I judge people for having cable. Period. That being said, where on earth do you live that basic cable is $20!? That is pretty cheap. Though I pay less for my streaming netflix... 

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting Tanya93:

the member is me

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

TinkTink205
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM
3 moms liked this

If you get fs what difference does the cable bill make?  It seems like a stupid argument...live frugal because you get fs even if you do have a job for other things?  Seriously?

PortiaRose
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
You didn't hear what I said? The bills don't matter when it comes to being able to be on fs. Why are you pushing your ideal onto her? The world doesn't work how you want... I have a friend of mine who doesn't have cable cuz she just plain ol can't afford it. I have cable, though. Not everyone is the same.

Quoting Tanya93:

If you can't afford food,  you can't afford other stuff.

Yeah, that is so mean

Quoting PortiaRose:

Quoting Tanya93:

the member is me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN