Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

(POLL) If you are on PA and you are a SAHM, why aren't you working or looking for a job?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 401 Replies

Poll

Question: If you are a sahm which most closely matches your situation?

Options:

I am a married sahm on pa.

I am a divorced sahm on pa living with a SO.

I am a never married sahm on pa living with an SO.

I am a divorced sahm on PA NOT living with an SO.

I am a never married sahm on pa NOT living with an SO.

I am married not on PA.

I am not married living alone not on PA.

I am not married living with an SO not on PA.

I am not a sahm.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 263

View Results

In many PA posts there are replies from women who are on PA who are SAHMs.

If you are on PA and you are a SAHM, why aren't you working or looking for a job?

Please be honest.  If you really do not want to work outside of the home, just say so, don't make up excuses like daycare costs too much, etc.

The reason daycare is an excuse is because it is NOT more expensive than daycare and it will only take a large portion of your paycheck for a limited amount of time.  Most people who start out at minimum wage do not stay there, they get increases in pay as they accrue time and experience.

by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Please bump.  Many thanks.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM
9 moms liked this
Why is daycare an excuse? We don't qualify for head start, and the HS programs here are pitiful.
It is more cost effective for me to sell Mary may and some of my homemade jewelry. And it allows us to homeschool our children.
We spent a month playing with different work schedules and finances when we made the decision. And we are almost to a point where we don't need the food stamps.
Although I don't know why I bother explaining, as your op is good evidence that no reason will be good enough for you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM
7 moms liked this

That's not an "excuse"; day care being expensive is a valid reason to not work. I LOVED having a job - I'd worked since I was 16, till I was 7mos pregnant (at 25). But if I were to go back to work, I would most likely be in retail or waiting tables (as I don't have a college degree, and all my management experience has been made irrelevant to employers due to my 3 years as a SAHM, as I found when I tried to get a seasonal Christmas job). What I would make at either of those types of jobs would just barely cover day care , so it's more cost-effective for me to stay home (DH is self-employed, in construction); I know being on PA means they'd cover part of day care but I hate being on PA as it is and don't want to ask them for any more than I need, if I can help it.

However, the MAIN reason I stay home these days is that DD is ASD (autism spectrum) and needs a LOT of attention (and is very selective about who can babysit her). She IS my job. 

Quoting futureshock:

In many PA posts there are replies from women who are on PA who are SAHMs.

If you are on PA and you are a SAHM, why aren't you working or looking for a job?

Please be honest.  If you really do not want to work outside of the home, just say so, don't make up excuses like daycare costs too much, etc.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Quoting katzmeow726:

Why is daycare an excuse? We don't qualify for head start, and the HS programs here are pitiful.
It is more cost effective for me to sell Mary may and some of my homemade jewelry. And it allows us to homeschool our children.
We spent a month playing with different work schedules and finances when we made the decision. And we are almost to a point where we don't need the food stamps.
Although I don't know why I bother explaining, as your op is good evidence that no reason will be good enough for you

But you just listed several good reasons having nothing to do with daycare.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
24 moms liked this
Daycare being RIDICULOUSLY expensive isnt an excuse. It's a very valid reason.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Daycare here actually cost more than our rent. With the jobs I was offered I would either have to take 2 or 3 jobs or move in with my parents
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM

The reason daycare is an excuse is because it is NOT more expensive than daycare and it will only take a large portion of your paycheck for a limited amount of time.  Most people who start out at minimum wage do not stay there, they get increases in pay as they accrue time and experience.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM
5 moms liked this
As for me I am a SAHM but we are not on any PA.

We did receive WIC with my first two kids because we qualified and it was helpful. I was still a SAHM then because we lived in California and daycare was $300 a week. That's $1200 a month. My paycheck didn't cover that and driving to work and daycare would actually be costing us money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Daycare is ridiculous. MANY people I know making above minimum wage can't afford daycare...

Quoting futureshock:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN