Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mormon Baptism Targets Anne Frank -- Again

Posted by   + Show Post

Anne Frank

Anne Frank, the Jewish girl whose diary and death in a Nazi concentration camp made her a symbol of the Holocaust, was allegedly baptized posthumously Saturday by a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to whistleblower Helen Radkey, a former member of the church.

The ritual was conducted in a Mormon temple in the Dominican Republic, according to Radkey, a Salt Lake City researcher who investigates such incidents, which violate a 2010 pact between the Mormon Church and Jewish leaders.

Radkey said she discovered that Annelies Marie "Anne" Frank, who died at Bergen Belsen death camp in 1945 at age 15, was baptized by proxy on Saturday. Mormons have submitted versions of her name at least a dozen times for proxy rites and carried out the ritual at least nine times from 1989 to 1999, according to Radkey. But Radkey says this is the first time in more than a decade that Frank's name has been discovered in a database that can be used both for genealogy and also to submit a deceased person's name to be considered for proxy baptism -- a separate process, according to a spokesman for the church. The database is only open to Mormons.

A screen shot of the database sent by Radkey shows a page for Frank stating "completed" next to categories labeled "Baptism" and "Confirmation," with the date Feb. 18, 2012, and the name of the Santo Domingo Dominican Republic Temple.

As The Huffington Post has reported, Mormon posthumous proxy baptism has continued, despite church vows to stop.

Negotiations between Mormon and Jewish leaders led to a 1995 agreement for the church to stop the posthumous baptism of all Jews, except in the case of direct ancestors of Mormons, but Radkey says she found that some Mormons had failed to adhere to the agreement.

The name of Nobel Peace Prize winner Elie Wiesel was recently submitted to the restricted genealogy website as "ready" for posthumous proxy baptism, though the church says the rite is reserved for the deceased, and Wiesel is alive. Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor, was among a group of Jewish leaders who campaigned against the practice and prompted the 2010 pact by which the Mormon Church promises to at least prevent proxy baptism requests for Holocaust victims.

Wiesel last week called on Republican presidential candidate and Mormon Mitt Romney, a former Mormon bishop who has donated millions to the church, to speak out about the practice.

The Romney campaign has previously refused to comment and referred The Huffington Post to the LDS church. HuffPost emailed a church spokesman for comment Tuesday, but did not immediately receive a reply.

Radkey's discovery of another possible proxy baptism for Frank follows an apology from the Mormon Church last week for recent posthumous baptisms of Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal's parents.

Radkey noted that the latest baptism of Frank by proxy is especially egregious, because she was an unmarried teenager who left no descendants. Mormon officials have stressed that church members are only supposed to submit the names of their ancestors, in accordance withe the agreements.

"The security of the names submissions process for posthumous rites must be questioned, in view of the rash of prominent Jewish Holocaust names that have recently appeared on Mormon temple rolls," Radkey said about her latest find. "This one sailed straight through, with Anne's correct name in their 'secure' database."

Radkey said she expects once word gets out that church officials will scrub the records as they did with Wiesel and Weisenthal's parents.

The Mormon Church responded later Tuesday in a statement by spokesman Michael Purdy, sent to The Huffington Post: "The Church keeps its word and is absolutely firm in its commitment to not accept the names of Holocaust victims for proxy baptism."

"While no system is foolproof in preventing the handful of individuals who are determined to falsify submissions we are committed to taking action against individual abusers," the statement says, "It is distressing when an individual willfully violates the Church’s policy and something that should be understood to be an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/mormons-posthumous-baptism-anne-frank_n_1292102.html

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Anne Frank was 16 when she died. Her entire family, except her father, was murdered. Which descendants exactly would have wanted her baptized?

Quoting kailu1835:

The Mormon church is not going to stop baptisms by proxy.  It is one of their most important practices.  It is believed that a person who has died can either choose to accept the baptism done on their behalf, or they can choose not to.  It also can only be done if you can prove that the person you're being baptized for is part of your geneology.  If one of Anne Frank's descendants wanted to be baptized for her, then who cares?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

That is so completely not the point. And, if you follow Mormon "logic " on this issue, this was the 9th baptism so she must have rejected it the first 8 times which would mean that she cares. Putting that aside, of she knew about it, yes I suspect she would care very much as would her father.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Does Anne care?

Mormon logic......

That alone tells me why it shouldn't be an issue.  Let them do their little "rituals", does it really matter? 

Why should it bother people what some church people do? 

Freedom of religion, right?  I doubt that Anne really cares.  ;)

Poodles and Kalu (sp sorry), to someone who isn't Mormon,..or perhaps Christian (since most Christians are already baptized)..it matters a lot.  No releigion should overstep and perform rituals on anyone from another religion.., it is desprectful to the dead.. especially those that have died just because they were NOT Christian.  I doubt any Jew or of the Islamic faith (or any other faith or of no faith) would give permission.  Further, they had to wait for Mr Frank to die since they knew they would NOT obtain his permission.  This ritual or practice of Mormons is beyond repulsive and disrespectful.  It is like raping the dead imo. 

butterfly on headlynda  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I don't understand - why would the Mormon church be interested in baptizing dead people of another faith?  What is the significance to the Mormon church?

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly Jillianmayasmom,  It leaves me wondering, what IF, it was a belief of Judaism, that anyone not circumsized would not be allowed in heaven, and we went about circumsizing all those non Jews(by proxy ) that died but were not circumszied before they were buried. to insure their convenant with G-d.   I am sure holy wars would be raised. 
But then most other religions are ones of respect for other religions so it would never happen and it is not a ritual or practice of Judaism anyway.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Anne Frank was 16 when she died. Her entire family, except her father, was murdered. Which descendants exactly would have wanted her baptized?

Quoting kailu1835:

The Mormon church is not going to stop baptisms by proxy.  It is one of their most important practices.  It is believed that a person who has died can either choose to accept the baptism done on their behalf, or they can choose not to.  It also can only be done if you can prove that the person you're being baptized for is part of your geneology.  If one of Anne Frank's descendants wanted to be baptized for her, then who cares?

butterfly on headlynda  

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM
This ridiculous heresy had decided that the jews are no longer the "chosen people" now that title should go to the mormons.

Some if the wackier ones even take it so far that they call nonbelievers "gentiles" and even do some of the jewish wedding dances etc, but of course, with crappy christian rock songs ie "i can only imagine" or "god is in control" (blech) instead of "ave na guila" (sp?).
That kind of crap shrieks delusions of grandeur as well as disrespect and the type of paternalism that knows people have a choice but they often make the wrong choices. This way, they get to make decisions for you and you will be thankful.

I read a little bit of their mythology and it seems so odd to me. They really think christ came to the americas, taught some of the indians christianity, and then the indians totally forgot about it. really? Some golden plates that disappear as soon as the angel deciphers them? Gotcha. Plural marriage gets added later because of a new revelation. Then when they want to join the US, someone luckily gets a new revelation that decrees plural marriage isn't needed for that third level of heaven. And let's just look beyond men becoming so awesome in heaven that they get to be gods of their own planets/universes. That is not a cult, that is an amalgam of blasphemy and heresy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Duh... that was a stupid comment of mine lol.  Still, I am sure she had some surviving relatives... you don't necessarily have to be a direct descendent to submit someone's name.

Quoting Jenniy:

She doesn't have any.

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Relatives.  I should have said relatives, NOT descendents :)

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

So some super distant cousin should get to decide to convert you after death?  Hell, they don't have inheritance rights, why in the world what in the world gives them the audacity to think they get to mess with her after life.  If this is one of their "most important practices" I can see why people shy away from Mormons.  

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Quoting kailu1835:

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Your belief that your religion has rights over any deceased person not of Mormon religion (regardless if the surviving relatives are Mormon) has no right over the deceased..whether they are an immediate family member or not.   I am going to add into my will NO PERSON RELATIVE OR NOT SHALL HAVE ME BAPTISED BY PROXY.  And I will still see you heaven when the mosiach comes.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Quoting kailu1835:

butterfly on headlynda  

Lillias
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Anne Frank was Jewish and she is with God in Heaven.  That is all I am going to say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)