Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rick Santorum Calls For End Of Public Education, Says Parents Should Home School Their Kids

Posted by   + Show Post

Rick Santorum has declared war on modern day America. He doesn’t think Protestants are real Christians. He thinks we should be at war with all of Islam. He believes Americans should suffer because in his sick mind, suffering “is a good thing.” He believes strongly in income inequality. He also believes women should be relegated to the home and controlled by men. And now he wants to destroy the minds of our children.

During a speech at the Ohio Christian Alliance, Santorum told the crowd that public education is “an artifact” that must come to an end, and that parents should withdraw their children and rely on home schooling and online education.

The Los Angeles Times reports,

In the nation’s past, he said, “Most presidents home-schooled their children in the White House. Parents educated their children because it was their responsibility.

“Yes, the government can help, but the idea that the federal government should be running schools, frankly much less that the state government should be running schools, is anachronistic.”

Aside from schools for the children of military personnel, the federal government does not actually operate schools. Most U.S. schools are supported primarily by state or local funding, or a combination of the two.  Santorum said the public education system was an artifact of the Industrial Revolution, “when people came off the farms where they did home school or had a little neighborhood school, and into these big factories called public schools.”

Rick Santorum has been very vocal about his preference for home schooling. There’s a reason for this of course. He holds a grudge. Santorum enrolled his children in the Western Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School and stuck the taxpayers for 80% of the costs which were paid through the Penn Hills School District. In November 2004, Penn Hills asked Santorum to repay $67,000 in tuition costs because he and his family were spending most of the year in Virginia and did not meet the qualifications for residency status. So Santorum pulled his kids out of school and has home schooled them ever since. If parents are supposed to be responsible for teaching their own kids, how come Santorum wasn’t home schooling his children before 2004?

It’s clear that Rick Santorum has a problem with publicly funded schools. A public school caught him taking wrongful advantage of Pennsylvania taxpayers and he’s mad about it. So instead of taking responsibility for his actions like a real man would do, Santorum throws a hissy fit and decides that public education must be destroyed. Of course, if Santorum manages to destroy public schools, millions of lives will change. Home schooling is not easy and it’s not cheap either. Many parents simply do not have the time or money to home school their kids.

How does Rick Santorum expect a single mom to educate her children when she needs to work two jobs to feed and clothe them and pay the bills too? That may be a dumb question, since Santorum thinks single moms should just get married and stay at home. And that’s another topic altogether that’s equally offensive. Online classes are even more expensive and would still require a parent to stay at home and supervise.

Americans are already going in debt paying for college, they don’t need to go in debt paying for a K-12 education, but apparently that’s what Santorum wants.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/20/rick-santorum-calls-for-end-of-public-education-says-parents-should-home-school-their-kids/

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM
Replies (71-80):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

If we do away with public schools, which taxpayers will then be responsible for paying for his kids' cyber education?  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12006/1201648-153-0.stm

If you look up the word hypocrite in the dictionary, this man's picture is there.

sappharie
by Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

IF  RICK SANTORUM BECOME  PRESIDENT IT WILL BE A VERY VERY SAD DAY FOR WONMEN

DropZoneMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I don't think anyone who has listened to Santorum in the past will be surprised by this.   Barefoot & pregnant...that's how he wants us....

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm gonna throw an extra loop in the homeschool/public school.

For myself-I have a child who has autism who receives speech and other services in public school-it's been amazing the transformation. While home school works for some-the idea of abolishing public schools in general-not such a great plan. Yes-in a "normal" setting it may be as simple as priorities,but life isn't simple-and there ARE some FANTASTIC school districts out there. In fact I lived in PA the majority of my life-Thought my daughter was recieving "good" services in the PA public school district-Now we're in NC and we're not only receiving "GREAT" services-our district is actually one of the best in the US and was featured on Jim Lehrer News Hour (PBS) last April.

So for us-ou daughter recieves better education and services than what i could provide as a home schooler.

It goes beyond costs.

Quoting candlegal:

It just depends on what your priorities are.  My daughters are forgoing working outside the home so they can homeschool and are happy to do it

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

I beg to differ. For me to homeschool properly, I had to forgo working outside the home for a long time. I'd say it cost me a hell of a lot more than $500! 

Quoting candlegal:

It costs about $500 a year to homeschool a child vs. the approximate $10,000 a year that is paid per student in government run schools.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Santorum is EVIL. Patently EVIL. He wants to bring about the destruction of all that is good in the world.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  My son receives speech services at his school. We purposely sent him to the school he attends because they have an excellent speech therapist.  I have found a tremendous difference in his speech since his current speech therapist has started working with him.  Before we did private and I was not happy with his progress.  She would often fail to even show up for speech services or cancel.  

Quoting ZsMommy:

I'm gonna throw an extra loop in the homeschool/public school.

For myself-I have a child who has autism who receives speech and other services in public school-it's been amazing the transformation. While home school works for some-the idea of abolishing public schools in general-not such a great plan. Yes-in a "normal" setting it may be as simple as priorities,but life isn't simple-and there ARE some FANTASTIC school districts out there. In fact I lived in PA the majority of my life-Thought my daughter was recieving "good" services in the PA public school district-Now we're in NC and we're not only receiving "GREAT" services-our district is actually one of the best in the US and was featured on Jim Lehrer News Hour (PBS) last April.

So for us-ou daughter recieves better education and services than what i could provide as a home schooler.

It goes beyond costs.

Quoting candlegal:

It just depends on what your priorities are.  My daughters are forgoing working outside the home so they can homeschool and are happy to do it

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

I beg to differ. For me to homeschool properly, I had to forgo working outside the home for a long time. I'd say it cost me a hell of a lot more than $500! 

Quoting candlegal:

It costs about $500 a year to homeschool a child vs. the approximate $10,000 a year that is paid per student in government run schools.

I like your Christ.  I do not like your Christians.  They are so unlike your Christ.  Ghandi

No one has ever died from overexposure to education.

Barb10
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM

They keep jacking up our school tax every yr,its the highest school tax in our area in our county.It may get to this one day.My kids get bussed to another town for school and most of the people in that town live in govt housing.I dont see how so many get that free or cheap housing and have so many kids and the rest of us that own homes pay so much in school tax. We are considering moving to get away from this area.A town nearby already went to their mayor to move to another district to save 2k in school tax yrly. Seniors and others cant afford the constant raising of school tax.

SLTmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Is it wrong that part of me wants him to get the nomination?

Admittedly, a small part.....but still......
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM

The first paragraph ended any reasonable consideration of the rest of the post

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM

What a guy smh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)