Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Santorum Now Against Prenatal Testing

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 21 Replies

You only have the rights I decide you're allowed to have!

One of the key characteristics of this election cycle is that the GOP is not for anything. They have defined themselves as the party of “No” and Rick Santorum is the leader of the pack. No separation of church and State. No premarital sex. No birth control. No abortions. No taxes. No EPA. No FDA. No evolution. And now, no prenatal testing.

Santorum’s problem with amniocentesis (and presumably other forms of testing) is that it can detect genetic defects and other problems early enough for the mother to abort, therefor it should not be covered by insurance. Here, again, we see the black or white extremism of one of the top contenders in the GOP field for the presidency.

CNN Reports:

“One of the mandates is they require free prenatal testing in every insurance policy in America,” Santorum, a conservative Roman Catholic, told a Christian Alliance luncheon in Columbus. “Why? Because it saves money in health care. Why? Because free prenatal testing ends up in more abortions and therefore less care that has to be done, because we cull the ranks of the disabled in our society.”

So now we’re one step removed from abortion but Santorum still wants to restrict our rights. Smoking cigarettes might lead to a miscarriage. Liberals would like to ban them for indisputably killing one out of every three people but Republicans faint with outrage at the idea. Being in a car accident might lead to a miscarriage. Perhaps we should ban pregnant women from getting into cars? Toxins in the environment can trigger an abortion as well. Yet Mr. Santorum thinks there should beless regulation on industrial pollution. It’s interesting how selective he is about what he opposes.

The reality is that prenatal testing like amniocentesis allows parents to make an informed decision about whether to proceed with a pregnancy. Can the parents afford a special needs child? Will they be able to care for it properly? Remember, Republicans viscerally object to government programs that help people without financial resources. This includes cutting services to, yes, special needs children. This is the Catch 22 of conservative politics. You would be forced to have a child you cannot care for but will receive no help from the government that forced you to have it.

But aside from Santorum’s one track mind, prenatal testing does, actually, serve a vital function aside from determining to terminate a pregnancy. I know this from personal experience.

Several years ago, my wife’s cousin found out very late in her pregnancy that her baby had Anencephaly. The baby had not developed a brain beyond the most rudimentary of functions. Its heart and lungs would pump and breath and the baby would be alive in only the most technical of senses. It would never grow, smile, speak, walk or crawl. It can usually be detected by a sonogram but not always.

Further testing would have revealed it but as it would have been cost the insurance company extra, no testing was done until it was far too late. She had to have a third trimester abortion. I can imagine had she lived in Kansas she would have been threatened and denounced by fanatics who would not have taken the time to learn the details of her suffering. In Rick Santorum’s world, she would have delivered that baby stillborn or watched it die slowly over the course of a few weeks.

Mandated prenatal testing would have saved my wife and I a good deal of grief as well. Our first two pregnancies ended in a miscarriage because there was an easily correctable problem that went undetected. Why? Because our insurance company would not pay for the testing and we couldn’t afford it out of pocket.

I don’t necessarily blame them for the first miscarriage, although if they were less concerned about profit, we might have had the tests and prevented the loss. I certainly blame them for the second which terminated in exactly the same way and could have also been prevented had our insurance authorized the test. If we were rich, we could have just paid for it ourselves, but we weren’t and so we lost the second baby as well. Why? So some insurance company executive can get paid millions?

A message for all of you “free market” lovers out there: A “free market” is never free. There’s always a cost and it’s more often than not measured in human suffering.

So, yes, Mr. Santorum, sometimes prenatal testing leads to abortion. But sometimes it leads to saving the life of the baby or avoiding profound and unnecessary misery. In your rush to strip us all of our rights so as to conform to your Biblical ethics, would you, perhaps, care to factor that into your equation?

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/02/20/santorum-now-against-prenatal-testing/

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM

WHat is the world coming to?

Happymamax2
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
The more this guy talks, the scarier he becomes!

I listened to him speak the other day, and he actually said that amnio should be outlawed because "more time than not it leads to abortion." where did this guy come from?
jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM
He is in no way a medical professional, he has no logical standing to decide what medical services are covered by insurance. He needs to stop trying to force his religion into everyone else's lives. Fuck him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember being recommended an abortion because of prenatal testing. I didn't, and my child was fine.

Does prenatal testing cause abortion? Not in people who do not have an inclination towards abortion. But if we truly live in a "culture of death," which Santorum certainly thinks, things like prenatal testing can give people the excuse they needed to not have the children they conceived. 

I'm not here to endorse Santorum. I just wish more people would consider his point of view instead of relying on sound bites.

jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM
He is a moron. Prenatal testing (if the patient wants it) can alert the doctors ahead of time if there are problems with the baby that may lead to needing interventions at birth. A high risk team can be in the room at delivery if they know ahead of time. If they don't know, the few minutes it takes for them to be activated and get there can mean devastating consequences to the baby. High risk teams cost a lot of money, and there's no way every birth can have a team, so only those with a high chance of needing a team have the high risk team standing by. Prenatal testing is a far more reasonable way of determining which birth will possibly need one. Prenatal testing does not always determine if a birth will need interventions, but is a good tool, if the patient wants it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I heard this and posted it in another thread, but alas, his supporters did not care to comment.  This, IMO, is so very extreme. I have never heard the like.  

I wonder if we had a Muslim running for president saying this kind of stuff, allowing personal religious beliefs to bleed intp governing.  What if a presidential candidate decided to push for making liquor illegal?  Because they believe it should be, according to their religion.  How would that go over?  

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM

and yet the government will be making those decisions under obamacare

Quoting jllcali:

He is in no way a medical professional, he has no logical standing to decide what medical services are covered by insurance. He needs to stop trying to force his religion into everyone else's lives. Fuck him.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM

That is a straight up lie.  All the health plan does is say WHAT SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT BE COVERED.  It doesn't make any decisions like "all women are required to have pre-natal testing."  It says, "If the woman chooses to have pre-natal testing, the plan will pay."  Do you really not see the difference?  

FURTHERMORE, since you are obviously so against what your vision of so-called "obamacare" is, WHY IN THE WORLD would you support someone else doing it?  Contradictory, no?  It's bad when Obama does it but OK when Santorum does it?  That's your argument.

Quoting candlegal:

and yet the government will be making those decisions under obamacare

Quoting jllcali:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM

The reason he's crazy is not necessarily for his opinion (although that doesn't help) but because he feels it should be IMPOSED ON OTHERS whether they agree or not!

Quoting wenchmommy381:

I remember being recommended an abortion because of prenatal testing. I didn't, and my child was fine.

Does prenatal testing cause abortion? Not in people who do not have an inclination towards abortion. But if we truly live in a "culture of death," which Santorum certainly thinks, things like prenatal testing can give people the excuse they needed to not have the children they conceived. 

I'm not here to endorse Santorum. I just wish more people would consider his point of view instead of relying on sound bites.

wenchmommy381
by Wenchy on Feb. 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Isn't that what opinions are for? To feel so strongly about it that you would encourage others to share your opinion?

If I don't like soda, have I not the right to tell others not to drink it? It might not change anything, but at least you know where I stand.

Quoting stacymomof2:

The reason he's crazy is not necessarily for his opinion (although that doesn't help) but because he feels it should be IMPOSED ON OTHERS whether they agree or not!

Quoting wenchmommy381:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN