Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Kids Need To Know By Kindergarten

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM
  • 52 Replies
What do kids need to know academically by the time they enter kindergarten?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bannannagirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM
6 moms liked this

Sit, hush and to follow directions from an adult other than mommy :P

lilmamiz07
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Everything.. My daughter is doing... verbs, reading, writing, adding, subtracting, and in order to graduate they have to write an essay. No naps and no snacks I'm in PA. I am surprised.

bannannagirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Wow I don't think I did that until I was in first grade. When I was in kindergarten we were just learning to read and write and do simple addition subtraction.

Quoting lilmamiz07:

Everything.. My daughter is doing... verbs, reading, writing, adding, subtracting, and in order to graduate they have to write an essay. No naps and no snacks I'm in PA. I am surprised.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bannannagirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM
LOL. Yeah hopefully they know that beforehand but some kids don't.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sit, hush and to follow directions from an adult other than mommy :P

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is learning the same things. He writes little stories all the time. They do a 100 club here. Where the kids have to write 1-100 on their own. No naps but they do have snacks. Here, they dont do the essay things to have to graduate, just pass their final tests. I'm in MO.

To enter kindergarten, I am not sure what they HAVE to know, but  I can give you some things to get him ahead/on keel with the class. And ahead is never bad, it gives him a better foundation. 

1. Know all letters, and how to write them, and the sounds they make

2. Numbers, know how to count to at least 30, and know how to write to at least 20. 

3. Know shapes, and their names.

4. All colors.

5. social skills are VERY important. If you aren't doing a play date, or he/she doesnt go to a preschool/daycare, set up some interaction with other kids his age, and use every experience as a tool to educate on social interactions.

6. Read read read. The more you read to them, the easier it is going to be to pick up on reading themselves. Follow your finger along with the words when you are reading to them. Let them 'read to you' having them use the pictures to determine what is happening. 

I could go on and on, but these are the main ones to me.

Quoting lilmamiz07:

lilmamiz07
by New Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM

That's what I said. Her reading is so advanced, I mean I was able to read like that in 2nd grade. Every week she learns at least 5 new words and writes them to. I don't expect her to have perfect grades... I mean they all are still kids but it can be done... tho I hate the idea, I feel like they're being rushed and in other states parents feel the same way.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Wow I don't think I did that until I was in first grade. When I was in kindergarten we were just learning to read and write and do simple addition subtraction.

Quoting lilmamiz07:

bannannagirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM
It has to do with the No Child Left Behind act. The sooner they can get them learning the better the test scores will be and the more funding the school will get.

Quoting lilmamiz07:

That's what I said. Her reading is so advanced, I mean I was able to read like that in 2nd grade. Every week she learns at least 5 new words and writes them to. I don't expect her to have perfect grades... I mean they all are still kids but it can be done... tho I hate the idea, I feel like they're being rushed and in other states parents feel the same way.

Quoting bannannagirl:

Quoting lilmamiz07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bannannagirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Thank you!

Quoting Mama2ETA:

My son is learning the same things. He writes little stories all the time. They do a 100 club here. Where the kids have to write 1-100 on their own. No naps but they do have snacks. Here, they dont do the essay things to have to graduate, just pass their final tests. I'm in MO.

To enter kindergarten, I am not sure what they HAVE to know, but  I can give you some things to get him ahead/on keel with the class. And ahead is never bad, it gives him a better foundation. 

1. Know all letters, and how to write them, and the sounds they make

2. Numbers, know how to count to at least 30, and know how to write to at least 20. 

3. Know shapes, and their names.

4. All colors.

5. social skills are VERY important. If you aren't doing a play date, or he/she doesnt go to a preschool/daycare, set up some interaction with other kids his age, and use every experience as a tool to educate on social interactions.

6. Read read read. The more you read to them, the easier it is going to be to pick up on reading themselves. Follow your finger along with the words when you are reading to them. Let them 'read to you' having them use the pictures to determine what is happening. 

I could go on and on, but these are the main ones to me.

Quoting lilmamiz07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what pre-school and kindergarten teach these days, I homeschool my kids and had them reading, writing and doing simple math by the time they were 5. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN