Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Kids Need To Know By Kindergarten

Posted by   + Show Post
What do kids need to know academically by the time they enter kindergarten?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

They need to know that they are loved.

They need to know that they are safe.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Wow. I'm double-glad that my kiddos are in private school. The stress levels sound high in some of these schools. My children didn't have to know anything other than some basics to pass the entrance questions. They needed to recognize and write their own names. They had to walk a balance beam. And know simple shapes and colors. They also needed to be fairly well-behaved, happy and seemingly comfortable in their own skins. None of them could read books when they started. That came towards the end of Kindergarten. I have one in Kindergarten now. She is on simple books, though she has memorized the books and isn't yet really reading. She knows most shapes. Can count to one hundred. She can write, but unless she is copying an adult, the words are miss-mashes of her own ideas. She did to know the alphabet when she started. She does simple hand/finger counting math for the most part. There are no essays or real tests. They have lots of hands on playtime and recess time to run, run, run!!
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM
That's crazy.

That must be your area... K here still has Naptime and snacks. And no essay to move up to 1st grade. Goodness!

Quoting lilmamiz07:

Everything.. My daughter is doing... verbs, reading, writing, adding, subtracting, and in order to graduate they have to write an essay. No naps and no snacks I'm in PA. I am surprised.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM
Well DS is in Pre-K and he just took the Kinder test so he can move up in grade next year...

He had to:
- count to 100 & write 1-50
- know upper and lower case alphabet & write upper an lower case letters
- write his name (first and last)
- write sight words (25 of them)
- know all shapes and draw them
- know all colors
- be able to read 50 site words and read short stories
- know how to use the keyboard and mouse on a computer

Etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foxymama21
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Bump! For later...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KC33
by Kim on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Because of a deployment my granddaughter was living with me when she started kindergarten  and I was blown away at the round-up orientation by the things that she was expected to know on the first day of school... they have to know the basics for reading, writing and math and they also use computers and have a second language class. Kindergarten is not about fun and games anymore.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM

It depends on your state and schools.  Connor went to private preschool and I taught him at home mostly.  By the time he entered Kindergarten he was reading some, counting by 1, 5, and 10's to 100, recognizes all his letters upper/lower case, letter sounds, writing his full name, reading his full name, socialization, sitting, following directions, transitioning from one activity to another, follows the rules, takes care of his bathroom needs on his own, knows his left and right, knows positional words, knows 1st, 2nd, 3rd,etc placement, we introduced basic math skills, read from left to right on paper, recognize numbers 1-100 easily, colors, shapes, bigger vs small, putting things in order, patterns, etc.

For fun and we were bored over the Summer: We learned all the planets by name and learned how to recognize them, estimation, opposites, etc.  

At his school there is no nap time or snacks.  They have learning centers they use to teach concepts.  Connor currently is doing math and reading on a first grade level.  He is also helping fellow students with their work.  He loves Kindergarten and they have a lot of fun learning. He has a great teacher though and the school is awesome!  I think that helps so much.  

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Depends on the school.  My son's school they are rewarded with fun acitivities every week for having a great week. For example, this week they had PJ day at school because everyone was reading on grade level or above when report cards were sent home on Wed.  Last week they earned 2 extra recesses because everyone had a great week overall.  

Quoting KC33:

Because of a deployment my granddaughter was living with me when she started kindergarten  and I was blown away at the round-up orientation by the things that she was expected to know on the first day of school... they have to know the basics for reading, writing and math and they also use computers and have a second language class. Kindergarten is not about fun and games anymore.

I like your Christ.  I do not like your Christians.  They are so unlike your Christ.  Ghandi

No one has ever died from overexposure to education.

Aislinn
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Quoting frogbender:

I think a child should know how a plant grows from a seed. How a frog egg becomes a pollywog, which is the same as a tadpole, then becomes an adult frog. How a butterfly lays an egg that hatches into a caterpillar, then goes into a chrysalis, and becomes a butterfly. They should know that there are different types of animals, like amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals to start. They should know how earthworms make soil, why the grass is green, how trout are beautiful to look at and delicious to eat, and how to identify the wild birds that come to the feeder. They should know how the wild turkey sounds and looks as he tries to impress the hens, how the heron fishes in tranquil stillness, and how the little newt makes an extraordinary journey across the land. They should have wildness instilled into their very beings.

The rest is important, but can be taught in conjunction with the above.

Agreed!

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Public school and private are doing the same thing as well.  

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I don't know what pre-school and kindergarten teach these days, I homeschool my kids and had them reading, writing and doing simple math by the time they were 5. 

I like your Christ.  I do not like your Christians.  They are so unlike your Christ.  Ghandi

No one has ever died from overexposure to education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)