Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Santorum says he doesn't believe in separation of church and state

Posted by   + Show Post

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said Sunday that he doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, adding that he was sickened by John F. Kennedy's assurances to Baptist ministers 52 years ago that he would not impose his Catholic faith on them.

"I don't believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute," Santorum, a devout Catholic, said in an interview from Michigan on ABC's "This Week."

"The First Amendment means the free exercise of religion and that means bringing people and their faith into the public square."

Santorum's latest foray into the hot-button, faith-based issues that so fire up the party's evangelical base comes as his chief rival for the Republican nomination, Mitt Romney, begins to pull ahead slightly in the state of Michigan, where he was born and raised.

Both Michigan and Arizona hold their primaries Tuesday.

While Romney's been battling Santorum in Michigan for the past two weeks, polls suggest he's got a comfortable lead in Arizona, a winner-take-all contest in terms of delegate allocation. Michigan's delegates, on the other hand, are rewarded based on results.

The former Massachusetts governor got a boost Sunday from Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer, who endorsed him as "the man that can carry the day" on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"He has that pro-business background, and he has that political history that I think he would serve America the best."

Brewer's endorsement is considered a boon to Romney's insistence that he's the toughest in the Republican field on illegal immigration. Brewer has been a fierce defender of her state's strict immigration policies, and Romney called Arizona a "model" on the issue in the last Republican debate.

Romney is the native son of Michigan, however, where his father served both as governor and a car company executive. A loss there would be regarded as devastating to his campaign.

Nonetheless, both Romney and Santorum have said they opposed the federal government's bailout of the auto industry in the state where millions work for car manufacturers. Romney even penned a New York Times opinion piece four years ago with the headline: "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt."

Republican foes have seized upon that headline in advance of a speech by President Barack Obama on Tuesday to the United Auto Workers conference in Washington to celebrate "the rescue of Detroit."

The autoworkers plastered "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" on 26 American-made vehicles at a Romney event in Detroit on Friday.

Beyond Michigan, however, Santorum's startling stances on social issues like birth control and religion are getting the most attention countrywide.

He's been unapologetic about some of his more controversial remarks, even reiterating Sunday his past remarks that Kennedy's 1960 speech in Houston made "me want to throw up."

"To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? What makes me throw up is someone who is now trying to tell people that you will do what the government says," Santorum said.

"That now we're going to turn around and impose our values from the government on people of faith."

America is all about embracing diversity, he added.

"What we saw in Kennedy's speech was just the opposite, and that's what's so upsetting about it," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-says-doesnt-believe-separation-church-state-164307440.html

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting mkuebler:

That phrase is not in the Constitution.  Neither is "separation of powers".  Neither is "presumption of innocence."  They all still exist.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I happen to agree with him.  The separation of church and state is not in the Constitution.  The Constitution forbids the govt from creating a church and it orders them to protect the free exercise of religion by the people.  The govt stopped doing that some time ago.

Separation of powers is another way of describing checks and balances.

Presumed innocent or innocent until proven guilty comes from English jurisprudence and is actually considered common law.  It is supported in the Constitution by the right to a trial by jury and the right to remain silent.

There is NOTHING in the Consitution to support separation of church and state.

I would love to debate this issue at length..I'm a Constitution freak..but I have to go to work.

alinev
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Churches have always had a seat the table. Freedom of religion is a value we hold dear and it is reflected every day that religious institutions do not pay taxes. At this point in history, we should be more concerned that religions are on the cusp of trampling the rights of others. Santorum is definitely the guy who wants that to happen.

Quoting rocketracer:

I think he was saying the Church (whatever Church that may be) should have a seat at the table.  If the Church doesn't have a seat at the table, religious freedom could be trampled on.

BTW: Obama is calling on Black Churches to put forth "congregation captains" to help get him re-elected.  He seems to go to the church when he needs their help. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM
12 moms liked this

So he believes that his religion should have the power to be involved in lawmaking huh? Does that mean he'd happily live under laws from other religions as well? Sharia law comes to mind. Someone should ask him. I look forward to his nausea.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM
11 moms liked this

Psht. Freedom of religion, but only if it's your religion. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Many Christians already believe Catholicism is a cult.....idol worshippers.

Hello nominee Romney-

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

i wonder how many times he will change his story...

*smh* idiot. 

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rocketracer:

I think he was saying the Church (whatever Church that may be) should have a seat at the table.  If the Church doesn't have a seat at the table, religious freedom could be trampled on.

BTW: Obama is calling on Black Churches to put forth "congregation captains" to help get him re-elected.  He seems to go to the church when he needs their help. ???

Sorry, my "black church" must not have gotten the memo.  This is a good one, any links.

momversuswild
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM
6 moms liked this

Rick Santorum is bold. I like it.

What he is saying is he believes the state should leave the church alone; and not this crazy sanitization of all things religion that liberals want.

GO SANTORUM!

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

So he believes that his religion should have the power to be involved in lawmaking huh? Does that mean he'd happily live under laws from other religions as well? Sharia law comes to mind. Someone should ask him. I look forward to his nausea.

I was thinking this exact thing.  would love to hear him argue against seperation of church and state, then argue agains Sharia law.

I have a feeling he is only against seperation when its his religion in discussion.

rocketracer
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jewels5525:

Quoting rocketracer:

BTW: Obama is calling on Black Churches to put forth "congregation captains" to help get him re-elected.  He seems to go to the church when he needs their help. ???

Sorry, my "black church" must not have gotten the memo.  This is a good one, any links.

By Mark C. on

As African Americans for Obama launches, check out new ways you can take ownership of this campaign. Re-electing President Obama and protecting the changes we’ve made since 2008 will take a community-wide effort. Look at the programs below and figure out where you fit in. After that, visit our volunteer sign-up page and make it official—that you’re committed to African Americans for Obama.

Congregation Captain Program
Congregation captains will take the lead on educating others about the importance of participating in this campaign and how to get involved. Working in your individual capacity, you’ll reach out to key community members and mobilize your personal networks with house parties and other outreach activities, as well as provide assistance in conducting voter registration drives.

http://www.barackobama.com/news/entry/a-community-wide-effort-programs-to-get-involved/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)