Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher resigns after leaving family for STUDENT!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the teacher be charged with a criminal offense?

Options:

Yes! She was his student.

No...she's legally an ADULT!

Maybe...it depends on when the sexual relationship began.

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 77

View Results

Modesto police are investigating if there’s a criminal case against a former high school teacher who resigned his job to move into an apartment with an 18-year-old girl he met while teaching.

James Hooker, 41, was placed on administrative leave Feb. 3 by Modesto City Schools and resigned less than three weeks later, according to a report at the Modesto Bee.

The newspaper reports that the man, who had taught business and computer classes, left his wife and children, to move in with Jordan Powers, an Enochs High School senior whom he met when she was a freshman at the school.

"In making our choice, we've hurt a lot of people," Hooker told the Bee. "We keep asking ourselves, 'Do we make everyone else happy or do we follow our hearts?' "

Tammie Powers, the student’s mother, told the Bee she believes Hooker pursued her daughter, and cited recent problems with her daughter’s grades and health. Her daughter had panic attacks.

"I believe it was the stress of the lie," Tammie Powers told the newspaper.

Read the original story on The Modesto Bee

Modesto police are trying to determine if there was inappropriate contact between the teacher and the student before she turned 18 in the fall, the Bee reported.

The community of Modesto has largely reacted with shock and disapproval, the newspaper said.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/01/10549926-calif-teacher-resigns-after-leaving-family-for-student

SOOOOO....the poll....should this man be charged?  The student is 18-years-old so technically legally an adult....

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

If there is evidence that the relationship was sexual before she turned 18, then yes.  He absolutely should have been fired had he not resigned, regardless of her age. 

ecagle
by Kegel on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

If there is evidence that the relationship was sexual before she turned 18, then yes.  He absolutely should have been fired had he not resigned, regardless of her age. 

I have to wonder if there could be any evidence unless she admits to it.    I also have to wonder: isn't a emotional "romantic" relationship just as detrimental to a young adult as a sexual one?  I am glad he resigned though.

gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM
12 moms liked this

Another selfish old bastard hitting his midlife crisis stride- she's likely just young and dumb - I feel for his family, the real victims. His statements that they had to follow their hearts is bull, he followed his dick, I'd bet dollars to donuts on that.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Why didn't he wait until she gradutated then it wouldn't been a issue with the law. He is ass leaving his family though.

When I was in hs there was about 3 teachers married their students, but they married the summer after they gradutated. There was nothing the school could had done about that. The teachers are still teaching at my old hs. Their kids graduated the same year my son did. lol

ecagle
by Kegel on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Another selfish old bastard hitting his midlife crisis stride- she's likely just young and dumb - I feel for his family, the real victims. His statements that they had to follow their hearts is bull, he followed his dick, I'd bet dollars to donuts on that.

Totally agree!  I mean...seriously...what does a 40-year-old teacher have in common with a teenager????

_Bama_
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Ick... Hes ugly.

ecagle
by Kegel on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

How old were the teachers?  On one hand, IF the teacher were say...23 years old and they married their student after they graduated and the student was say...19...not a huge deal.  I think the whole: 40-year-old with kids and wife moving in with an 18 year old to be super gross though.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Why didn't he wait until she gradutated then it wouldn't been a issue with the law. He is ass leaving his family though.

When I was in hs there was about 3 teachers married their students, but they married the summer after they gradutated. There was nothing the school could had done about that. The teachers are still teaching at my old hs. Their kids graduated the same year my son did. lol

Sarah_Moore
by Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM
This, he is an ass imo. I feel so sorry for his wife and kids :(

Quoting gotnothinonme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I think him leaving his kids and wife is horrible.

One of the teachers was 43. The other ones where 5-10 yrs older. Of course I don't have issues with that much of a age difference. My husband of 20 yrs is 21 yrs older then me and we married when I was 19 and he was 40..

Quoting ecagle:

How old were the teachers?  On one hand, IF the teacher were say...23 years old and they married their student after they graduated and the student was say...19...not a huge deal.  I think the whole: 40-year-old with kids and wife moving in with an 18 year old to be super gross though.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM

If they find proof that they were sexually involved before she was 18, then yes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)