Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could you work a blue collar job?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 57 Replies
My husband and I were driving through road construction last week and I told him I wanted to do it. Be outside all the time, get that super-dark farmers tan, get all muscled and lean. I said I wanted to be the person who sat in the back of the truck who put out the traffic cones then picked them up at the end of the day. I could also hold the little sign that says Slow Down on one side and Stop on the other. He burst my rose-colored bubble and said those folks did more than just those things and that I could not work an outdoor blue collar job because I can't stand to be hot or cold. This has been bothering me for some reason. Made me feel I would be a bit useless if computers ever evaporated. Could you work an outdoor blue collar job? Not just out of desperation to feed your kids, but as a choice? Do any of the moms here work outdoor blue collar jobs? What do you do? Tell me about it. I don't want to be useless when computers go back to their home planet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Honestly I couldn't ever see myself in construction or manual labor like that. I'm a ding bat. I would probably just end up destroying stuff and screwing up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
I couldn't do it. I like my indoor job.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sure, I have done stuff like that off and on. My dad is an auctioneer, I worked for him for years, working outside, doing a lot of heavy lifting, in all types of whether including pouring rain, snow, and overwhelming heat.  

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I might have been able to when I was younger.   Now, I hate the heat and the cold and the rain.   :)   I would miss my air conditioning.

MomofNikki2010
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM
I couldn't. I need something that challenges me intellectually, not physically.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM
I worked at the South Street Seaport when I was 16. I was helping restore the boats and ships on the pier. Wearing construction boots and swinging hammers, oiling masts 50 stories in the air, this was a very blue collar job.

Today I would have absolutely no interest in doing any such thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I honestly don't mind doing physical labor as long as I'm not being forced to overexert myself. I could do without heat, but after being through marching band I have learned that it passes and life moves on, and when it's cold, if you're moving around a lot and working your body you don't even remember it's cold. 

Yeah, I could probably do it if I couldn't find something else. 

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Yup, I was a farm kid. I still work with farmers and community gardeners. I've built fences, baled and hauled hay in scorching summers, worked for a landscaper, and most of that work done in all weather, too hot and too cold. I enjoy it. I would hate sitting in an office all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Quoting stacymomof2:

Sure, I have done stuff like that off and on. My dad is an auctioneer, I worked for him for years, working outside, doing a lot of heavy lifting, in all types of whether including pouring rain, snow, and overwhelming heat.  

What kind of auctions?  I love auctions.

_Bama_
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I went on the road with the hubs and worked with him for awhile till I got preggers.  I was a hole/firewatch for the welders and sometimes we were out in the elements.  I could do it again if I had too... but I sure wouldnt want to unless I had to.  I have gotten a little to comfortable being unemployed....):

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)