Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you started getting ready for your spring garden?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 51 Replies
2 moms liked this

During Spring break, I will be planting 5 types of tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, basil, lettuce, cucumbers, squash, oregano, chives, mint, cilantro, green beans, and cantaloupe.

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM
This is my second attempt at a garden. Last year's... I didn't pick a good spot! I thought it would receive enough sun. Fail.

This year, I'm in a completely different state. Looking at the university's horticulture site, I can't plant veggies until the first of May. Or that's the suggested anyway. So, I have to wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Too early up here in NJ.  End of this month, I will start seedlings for transplanting in May.

Can't wait.  :-)

Tanya93
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM

It will be 74 today.   I doubt it will get into the 40's at night until winter.  Time for us to plant.    I can't wait for 7 weeks or so when I start getting tons of tomatoes!

Quoting romalove:

Too early up here in NJ.  End of this month, I will start seedlings for transplanting in May.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I have all my seeds, they ask came in the mail. I have tomatoes poking through, peppers are planted. I'm doing the types of tomatoes, bell peps, jalapino peps and habinaro peps, strawberries, peas, green beans, 3 types of lettuce, 2 kind of basil, onion, chives, chamomile, lemon cucumbers, lavender, and lemon balm. So excited.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Tanya93:

It will be 74 today.   I doubt it will get into the 40's at night until winter.  Time for us to plant.    I can't wait for 7 weeks or so when I start getting tons of tomatoes!

Quoting romalove:

We don't get tomatoes until July.  We will get cucumbers, too.  DH usually plants different kinds of peppers, basil, mint, parsley, zucchini, eggplant...one year we did canteloupe in containers too.

Tanya93
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I never thought about chamomile.   Where do you order your seeds from?

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

I have all my seeds, they ask came in the mail. I have tomatoes poking through, peppers are planted. I'm doing the types of tomatoes, bell peps, jalapino peps and habinaro peps, strawberries, peas, green beans, 3 types of lettuce, 2 kind of basil, onion, chives, chamomile, lemon cucumbers, lavender, and lemon balm. So excited.

rfurlongg
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM
I may have missed the boat. Traditionally I start planting 2wk in March, but I have already notices several herbs springing up and bluebonnets sprouting. Our winter has been very mild, and the past 2 wks our avg temp has been low 70's with a few days in the 80. I will plant anyway and see what happens...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I haven't started yet.  I need to hit the store and pick up seeds and start them in my house.  I am gonna have a friend help me get my garden spot finished.  Matt and I started putting in a few raised beds last year but didn't finish.  I haven't decided what I am planting yet other than I know I want to do beans and peas.  Maybe I will do some carrots and tomatoes.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I built some square foot gardens in the side yard last year, they did ok.  I also tried some container gardening on the deck.  This year, I think I'm going to plant mostly herbs and tomatoes, maybe some peppers and a few greens.  I planted a strawberry patch last year too, and that should produce pretty well this year.  It's still too early here to plant, most things can't be planted until at least May. 

I learned a lot last year by watching you tube videos.  There's a lot of interesting people out there willing to share their gardening knowledge.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Burpee, ive never tried growing it before. It will be my first time growing lavender too.

Quoting Tanya93:

I never thought about chamomile.   Where do you order your seeds from?

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)