Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The United States as a 'Christian' Nation

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
  • 317 Replies
3 moms liked this

So let us pretend for a moment that the United States of America are now indeed a Christian Nation.

No denying it, it is.  Go with me here....................

Would we not, over time, become much like the other Nations that many are so afraid of?  In that a country governed by one religion is bound to cast out those of any other faith?  That war is certain to break out, even among those of the same faith yet different branches of such?

What would do with all of the millions of people who live here who are not Christian?  Are not the 'correct' brand of Christian?  Where do they go?  Are they to be expected to adhere to the Christian God or fear the wrath of the humans who have put their beliefs in to law?

Would we close our boarders tight, except, perhaps for those who are the correct brand of Christianity?  How would we know they are true in their faith?

How would our individual rights be held up under such a Nation?  In order to be a 'Christian' Nation, as so many seem to want, the 'freedom from religion' must be replaced.  Replaced with what, exactly?

How, exactly, would we be a better Nation governed under the brand of Christianity?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momversuswild
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM
5 moms liked this

Pitifully underdeveloped questions once again...as the foundation has been working BEAUTIFULLY for hundreds of years. 

Stick to the coffee, sorority parties, and wolf running.

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Blah. This isn't a Christian nation. It's a religious freedom nation, and it gives all the freedom to be religious hypocrites and idiots. Were it a Christian nation, wee would be England. That is all.
katy_kay08
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:19 PM
8 moms liked this
A, ignore her...she is starting out with personal attacks so that means she can't answer your questions. As she further slips she will start with the "yo mama" insults, time and time again she has proven she has nothing of value to add, beyond the post bump.

I will say there is definitely a difference between a national church and a theocracy. The problem with Christianity is that it isn't a church. There are so many denominations...whose would be the state sanctioned church.
singlemom1208
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM
5 moms liked this
I think a theocracy is bad no matter the religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
11 moms liked this
Quoting momversuswild:

Pitifully underdeveloped questions once again...as the foundation has been working BEAUTIFULLY for hundreds of years. 

Exactly how has it worked? As a foundation, it has promoted slavery, burning "witches" alive, public beatings, abuse in many forms, ignorance, and hate. The principles as we know and practice today are somewhat good and worthy, but all in all, the bible, not doctrine, says to kill and eradicate all who are not perfect Christians.

Being an ass in a public forum only lessens the amount of respect you receive. If you insists that others opinions of you do not matter to you, then I would suggest that your opinions do not matter to others as well. If you disagree with the op, have the balls to be respectful.
mom2klca
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
What is the point of your questions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momversuswild
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:43 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting cueballsmom:

Quoting momversuswild:

Exactly how has it worked? As a foundation, it has promoted slavery, burning "witches" alive, public beatings, abuse in many forms, ignorance, and hate. The principles as we know and practice today are somewhat good and worthy, but all in all, the bible, not doctrine, says to kill and eradicate all who are not perfect Christians.

Being an ass in a public forum only lessens the amount of respect you receive. If you insists that others opinions of you do not matter to you, then I would suggest that your opinions do not matter to others as well. If you disagree with the op, have the balls to be respectful.

After extensive research I am pretty sure that being an ass is the way this group rolls.

Let me add something besides my wit to the conversation though....

When Thomas Jefferson declared our inalienable right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness, he did not appeal to Plato, Seneca or Voltaire...nope...to God.

I'm sorry if you see America in such a negative light.  Have you thought of relocation?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM
8 moms liked this

It doesn't matter if every single founding father was a Christian.  They put the constitution together in a way to protect everyone's freedom to choose and practice their own religion (or lack of it), free of government interference.  The founding fathers, even if they were all Christian, would not have wanted our country making its laws based on any one religion.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

A, ignore her...she is staring out with personal attacks so that means she can't answer your questions. As she further slips she will start with the "yo mama" insults, time and time again she has proven she has nothing of value to add, beyond the post bump.

I will say there is definitely a difference between a national church and a theocracy. The problem with Christianity is that it isn't a church. There are so many denominations...whose would be the state sanctioned church.

I hear ya K.  ;)

You bring up a very good point indeed, regarding how many denominations there are.  That was kind of a point I was trying to make.

The thought that some would like a state sanctioned church is scary.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting momversuswild:

How did you reach a conclusion of me hateing America? Leaps of logic often lead to logic getting left behind. I actually love living here, in fact that is why I joined the army, to help defend our right to be who we want and not live by a book written hundreds of years ago.

Using a speech made by a man who was expressing his right to religious freedom does not lead to the end result that we are a Christian nation. See this would be yet another leap where logic got left behind. The argument you are using is akin to saying that the "all men are created equal" clause means that all women are beneath men. While the argument has held water in the past because of ignorance and bible verses, it no longer is true. Actually wasn't true to begin with.

You may pull what you like, at the end of the day, the simple fact that I am arguing with you about this and not being arrested, means that this is not a Christian nation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)