Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

School can't tell me who my son's friends are.

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM
  • 37 Replies

I found out that the my son's school can't tell me who my son's friends are. My son is a special needs child, so I like to know who he is friends with at all times. I asked My ds LRC teacher if he has any new friends, she told me she can't tell.I guess it is because of the students privacy. I still don't get it, I just wanted a name so I can see about talking to the parents. I like to get to know my son's friends parents, so we can have play dates and stuff.

Do you think that the school should not tell us? Why or why not?

by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM

That sounds odd.

I'd ask why...if there is a privacy policy, ask if there is a way to get permission from the parents of one or two of his friends to talk.

Again, very strange. My kids' teachers are very open about who they are friends with and who (if anyone) they have problems with, but we live in a small town.

jewels5525
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

That is odd.  my girls' teachers have always told me who my kids spend time with in school.  i think its important.

MonicaJaye
by Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I don't see why a school would want to withhold that kind of information.  It's rather contradictory.  Schools complain about lack of involvment from parents but then create barriers such as this to hinder it. 

I agree with you.  It's good to know who your child's friends are.  I suspect that it may be a way to keep parents from being "in the know" especially since your child is labeled as special needs.  (I know all about that world).  One of the things that I do is introduce myself to as many parents as I can when we have meetings at the school.  You'd  be surprised how many parents are just dying to vent about things going on in the classroom and school as a whole.

Just yesterday, one of the parents went to the school to shadow the class.  She, another parent, and I were emailing each other the whole time about what was going on in the classroom.  We have also been the eyes for one another.  I have gotten great information from other parents as a result of establishing connections.

I hope that my suggestion helps.  Good luck and never give up!

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Wow. Not okay by me. I think I'd just sit in class and find out for myself, or volunteer...whether they want me to or not.
Maryjane66
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
That is odd.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I was very suprised. When my oldest boy was going to school, they where very open on who his friends where.

Quoting GLWerth:

That sounds odd.

I'd ask why...if there is a privacy policy, ask if there is a way to get permission from the parents of one or two of his friends to talk.

Again, very strange. My kids' teachers are very open about who they are friends with and who (if anyone) they have problems with, but we live in a small town.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Quoting Ziva65:

Wow. Not okay by me. I think I'd just sit in class and find out for myself, or volunteer...whether they want me to or not.

I do volunteer a lot, that is usually how I keep tabs on who his friends are. But I haven't been able to for about month because of health reasons.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Is there an aid you could ask? Maybe the teacher just doesn't know. I know my sons resource teacher couldn't, because she's ... Difficult to communicate with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Haha_ma
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM
My son is nonverbal and has autism, he is in a ppcd class and his teacher and aides keep talking about all the fun he has with his little friends. So I wanted to plan something for my son, his friends, including his little girlfriend, and their parents, but they wouldn't let me know who they were either. I just wanted them to hang out together, but I can invite the entire class to his bday party so I'll get to know them there, if they come.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momversuswild
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I would take issue with that, and they would know it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN