Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lawmaker Says Pregnany Ladies are a Lot like Livestock

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
  • 36 Replies
I just want to bang my head against the wall..,

... a speech last week by Representative Terry England brought that fact into focus with a jaw-droppingly insensitive series of comments wherein he reasoned that because farmers sometimes have to deliver stillborn baby cows and pigs and stuff, women should therefore be required to carry stillborn fetuses to term.

The debate was over a bill that would have banned all abortions after 20 weeks on the grounds that at that point, according to no scientists, fetuses can feel pain. The ban would also apply to women who lost their pregnancies, barring them from seeking medical intervention in removing the dead fetal tissue, because apparently dead fetuses that are older than 20 weeks old can also feel pain.

That bit of head-scratchery aside, Rep. Terry England is very in favor of this measure, this bill that would force women to carry a nonviable pregnancy until their bodies decided to expel them. Eagle-eyed videographer Bryan Long caught England's speech in support of his position, during which he shared in a hushed, reverent tone, a tale of how hard it is for farmers to have to deliver dead baby pigs, but that the animals do it, because that's how God and the Accelerated Genetics intended. Further, he told a touching story of one young man who loved cockfighting and agreed to give all his fighting cocks away if only the Georgia legislation would make it illegal for pregnant women to decide what to do with their bodies. Oh, good sirs, won't you think of the chickens?!

Pardon my French but qu'est-ce que fuck? Georgia women are like cows and pigs and chickens? Stillbirth is hard but it should be enforced by the state? And chicken rights are more important than women's rights?...

http://www.jezebel.com/5892657/lawmaker-says-pregnant-ladies-are-a-lot-like-livestock
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Another example of why government needs to get the fuck out.
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM

banging head into wallPregnant women do not lose their status as HUMAN. AND dumbass might want to talk to a doctor about toxicity of a dead fetus as it decomposes inside the mother and the effect it has on her!

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I know I shouldn't laugh, but this is just so stupid lol

Ankles
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM
It just seems so out there that you need it to be some horrible joke.

Quoting parentalrights1:

I know I shouldn't laugh, but this is just so stupid lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OkieMom2673
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow I'm pro life and that man is an idiot! Goodness
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
7 moms liked this

Stupid penis-American.

mandaday
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this

What it really comes down to it insecure men who are flipping out over the realization that woman are capable of being powerful, and doing their damndest to put us back in our "place". Because if a woman has no control over her body, then she doesn't have the opportunity to have any power.

Ankles
by Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM
5 moms liked this
It really goes past pro-life or pro-choice and just shows an incredible disdain for women.

Quoting OkieMom2673:

Wow I'm pro life and that man is an idiot! Goodness

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Oh boy, smh.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM

rolling on floor 

Quoting LauraKW:

Stupid penis-American.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)