Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

American Flag w/ O's face sparks outrage.

Posted by   + Show Post

American flag with President Obama's image sparks outrage at Florida Democrats

Published March 14, 2012
| FoxNews.com
  • Obama flag 2
    Courtesy Don Van Beck
    Lake County Democratic Party officials removed the flag on Tuesday following complaints by local veterans in Florida.
An American flag with President Obama's image in place of the stars flew over a Florida county's Democrat headquarters long enough to enrage local veterans who called the altered banner "a disgrace."
Lake County Democratic Party officials took down the flag, which flew just below a standard Old Glory on the flagpole outside headquarters in Tavares following complaints by local veterans. But merely taking it down wasn't enough for several local veterans, who said they fought for the flag Betsy Ross made famous, not one with a politician on it.
  • Obama flag
    "It's absolutely disrespectful," Jim Bradford, a 71-year-old veteran who participated in the Bay of Pigs Invasion told FoxNews.com. "It's totally ridiculous. To put somebody's picture there, to me, it's a disgrace to do that."
"It's absolutely disrespectful," Jim Bradford, a 71-year-old veteran who participated in the Bay of Pigs Invasion told FoxNews.com. "It's totally ridiculous. To put somebody's picture there, to me, it's a disgrace to do that."
Bradford, an organizer with the Veterans Memorial at Fountain Park in Leesburg, Fla., snapped photos of the flag and distributed them to fellow veterans and friends. By late afternoon, he and several other veterans delivered a copy of the federal flag code to Nancy Hurlbert, chairwoman of the Lake County Democratic Party.
"We read that to her, but she would not accept that," Bradford said. "The discussion finally got a little bit heated."
The flag, which had been flying for several months without complaint and is available online for $12.95, was later removed by Hurlbert.
Bradford said Hurlbert apologized for the incident, but did not offer any promises that it wouldn't fly again.
"What really upsets me is that the flag had apparently been flying for months and no one had done anything about it," Bradford said. "I've got no hard feelings toward [Hurlbert], but people will be driving by there to make sure it doesn't go up again."
Hurlbert said Tuesday's incident was the first time anyone had complained about the flag, which she received as a gift two months ago.
"It leads me to believe that it's not about the flag," she told FoxNews.com. "Certain elements cannot accept Barack Obama as president."
Hurlbert said she intends to contact an attorney regarding the matter and remained non-committal as to whether she'll fly the flag again.
"I won't say no and I won't say yes," she said. "We want to find out what our legal rights are."
Meanwhile, Jay Agg, communications director for AMVETS, told FoxNews.com that the American flag should never be altered.
"While we are pleased the flag in question has since been removed from public display, the reported fact that it had flown for months without protest is a clear indication that we have much work to do in educating the public of the importance of protecting our flag," Agg wrote in an email. "This issue is especially important to AMVETS' members, the men and women who have proudly worn our nation's uniform and served under her flag."
The final insult to veterans? The flag is made in China.
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Nevermind.  No offense but you still do not understand.

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol really?  That's not a US flag, that is a flag with Obama's face on it.  Defacing a flag is ruining a US Flag.

lol, now these ugly things are a defacement!

Quoting pvtjokerus:

The Southerns are a little more patriotic about things like defacing the flag.

Quoting stacymomof2:

No, I am not.  Why would that matter?  

Quoting pvtjokerus:

U R not from the South are U?  If you were I think you would probably understand more.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Well, I just am having a hard time thinking this reflects on any national issue.  It's not like it's the only flag there, nor is it like Obama himself is flying it or even knew about it.  It's a campaign piece that *could* be argued to be in bad taste.  I hate when people respond to posts this way but I'm going to for this one...

So what?

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Flag related apparel is hardly the same thing as sticking someones face and flying a flag. Would it be different for you if it were someone else's face? Say Bush's, Madonna's, hell even my face?

The flag has meaning. Maybe you don't care about it but there are a lot of people that do. My family has been in the military as far back as we've been in this country. We've lost people fighting for that flag you don't care about and what it stands for. I don't care whose face they put on it, I still think it's a disgrace. Veterans did not fight for Obama, my husband isn't fighting for Obama. They're fighting for everyone. All 50 states and the people in them.

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol really?  That's not a US flag, that is a flag with Obama's face on it.  Defacing a flag is ruining a US Flag.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

U R not from the South are U?  If you were I think you would probably understand more.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Well, I just am having a hard time thinking this reflects on any national issue.  It's not like it's the only flag there, nor is it like Obama himself is flying it or even knew about it.  It's a campaign piece that *could* be argued to be in bad taste.  I hate when people respond to posts this way but I'm going to for this one...

So what?

bobbcat
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

You're talking apples versus oranges here. Those are not flags; they are shirts with the flag "theme."

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't get it, and I never will.  It's a flag.  The actual American flag was hanging above it.  I guess that means I'm not American enough ... :shrug.  I think it's only going to be Obama haters that have an issue with this. 

What does being a northerner or southerner have to do with it?  Do we not both live in the same America?  Well, don't answer that ... I'm often ashamaed that the south is part of this country.  Funny how they are all up in arms over the American flag, but have no problems flying the confederate flag. 

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't your husbands boss Obama?  Isn't he the president of this country? 

No, I wouldn't be bothered if someone flew an American flag with Madonna's face or Bush's face on it.  I don't think your reverence of the flag is correlated to how American you are.

Quoting furbabymum:

Flag related apparel is hardly the same thing as sticking someones face and flying a flag. Would it be different for you if it were someone else's face? Say Bush's, Madonna's, hell even my face?

The flag has meaning. Maybe you don't care about it but there are a lot of people that do. My family has been in the military as far back as we've been in this country. We've lost people fighting for that flag you don't care about and what it stands for. I don't care whose face they put on it, I still think it's a disgrace. Veterans did not fight for Obama, my husband isn't fighting for Obama. They're fighting for everyone. All 50 states and the people in them.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

This made me laugh!  ain't in the truth ...

Quoting turtle68:

FFS you people really do make a fuss over jack shit.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I have family in the military as well.  That still doesn't mean I am offended by a propaganda piece.  By your own argument since the face flag is not the US flag, it is no different than the flag clothes, which offend me because they are ugly.  :)

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this

The military doesn't fight for the flag, either. Nothing in the oath mentions the flag, it talks about defending the constitution, though...

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

"Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open." -Emma Goldman

http://masqueradingscientist.blogspot.com/

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Obama is president. Good job! A+

Those are your feelings. That's good for you. I feel differently.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Isn't your husbands boss Obama?  Isn't he the president of this country? 

No, I wouldn't be bothered if someone flew an American flag with Madonna's face or Bush's face on it.  I don't think your reverence of the flag is correlated to how American you are.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon-if I can. I seek opportunity - not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the still calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any roaster nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done.                                                             - Dean Alfange

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The flag STANDS for things. Does no one remember the pledge of allegiance?

Quoting stringtheory:

The military doesn't fight for the flag, either. Nothing in the oath mentions the flag, it talks about defending the constitution, though...

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting stacymomof2:

So what?

I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon-if I can. I seek opportunity - not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me. I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the still calm of utopia. I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any roaster nor bend to any threat. It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, this I have done.                                                             - Dean Alfange

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured