Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hours at minimum wage needed to afford rent

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
MrsDex
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM

wow.... just wow.

brittonJ
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Min wage here is 7.25 w/ insurance, 8.25 w/o.

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this
If you make minimum wage wouldn't you qualify for low income housing?
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Minimum wage was never meant to support a family.  It was for those starting out, with unskilled jobs.

So - a 2 bedroom apartment?  Um - yeah.  Maybe don't be working a minimum wage job when you start a family.

hollinicole
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM
.its 7.25 here for a ton of jobs even ones that would normal have middle pay somewhere else. I make 9 am hour and that is pushing it. I know people who went to college for 4 year or more that make only 50 cent more then me. Its crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Wow.. in CO I've yet to see a min wage spot with benes of any kind. Nor do many offer ulfull time hours :( its rough out there.

Quoting brittonJ:

At 40 hours a week, that's 1160. By the time taxes are taken out that's JUST enough to pay for a good apartment and NOTHING else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Minimum wage jobs were not meant to be lived on.  They are meant to be entry level positions.  Unfortunately our economy means a lot fewer jobs outside of the minimum wage arena :(

brittonJ
by Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM

It is worth noting I live in an area where everything costs a lot (not like NY though!!). $900 gets you a 1 bed/bath but it's in a nice area. KWIM?

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Wow.. in CO I've yet to see a min wage spot with benes of any kind. Nor do many offer ulfull time hours :( its rough out there.

Quoting brittonJ:

ms.sophsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2012 at 11:27 PM
God... so Thts really bad.

Quoting brittonJ:

It is worth noting I live in an area where everything costs a lot (not like NY though!!). $900 gets you a 1 bed/bath but it's in a nice area. KWIM?

Quoting ms.sophsmom:

Quoting brittonJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN