Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hours at minimum wage needed to afford rent

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Replies (91-99):
wanderingwolf
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this

$7.70 an hour in OH. 1 bedroom apartment in Lancaster, OH (Pine Village Apartments) is $439-$469 a month plus utilities. Victorian Village Apartments in Nelsonville, OH is $400 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment (12 month lease), or $500 a month 9 month lease.  Two bedroom aparment at Victorian Village Apartments is $285.00 per bedroom per month for a 12 month lease and $335.00 per bedroom per month for a 9 month lease.Two bedroom townhouse at Victorian Village Apartments is $400.00 per bedroom per month for 12 month lease or $500.00 per bedroom per month for a 9 month lease.  Three bedroom apartment at Victorian Village Apartment is $250.00 per bedroom per month for a 12 month lease or $275.00 per bedroom per month for a 9 month lease.  BUT all utilities exept electric are paid by the landlords at Victorian Village Aparments, cable and phone is optional and has to be paid by the tenant.  Aparments in Nelsonville, OH range from $500-$1,000 a month. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting heidimoose134:

I think most of us can agree that minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. I think the heart of the issue is that many people who have lost well paying jobs haven't been able to find work that pays better than minimum wage.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.

I agree with you 100%.  Since they can't seem to do anything with min wage except increase it..I would like to see a tiered system.  I would also like to see manufacturing increased in this country.  Our middle class was built on it!  There are ways to not only improve the economy but make it soar...it will take a several prong approach though...and given all the bickering 2 yr olds in DC (BOTH parties) that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

BTW, I like your username..too cute!

I agree with you as well. I think we would really benefit by increasing the number of manufacturing jobs here. Not everyone is suited for college and I think it's silly to expect everyone to be. It's hard to find any good paying job without at least a Bacholers degree these days and that's just not cutting it. And getting congress to get their heads out of their behinds would be helpful as well. lol 

And thanks, lol. :-)

Oh my gosh!  I totally agree with you on the college thing!  And this comes from someone that worked their butt off to pay for 2 degrees!  I have used 1 of them a good bit..but the other was mostly money spent on a piece of paper.  All these people with expensive degrees and jobs paying min wage or a little above..its crazy.

There are a lot of good paying jobs and careers that don't require college.  I have a nephew in high school and he has spent the last couple of years working for a plumber.  He doesn't want to go to college..he just wants to take some business courses at the jr college and open his own plumbing place.  My sister nearly had a coronary (our Mom pushed us to college)!  He is like.."Mom..what does it cost to have the plumber come out?"  The guy he works for makes 6 figures and lives in a very nice home in their small town.

Lots of blue collar fields can have high incomes.  Lots of blue collar fields have good life middle class incomes too.

Exactly. I think that there needs to be more availability for trade schools. I'm doing college myself to get an RN in nursing (which is $20/hr entry level wage in my area) and it's definitely hard, and I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to do it. 

A person could make tons of money being a plumber, or an electrician. Shoot, even the construction field has room for opportunity to grow and make more money. 

It would be nice to see more handcrafted things in this country. I'm not going to lie. I would love to see the manufacturing field boom here again. 

Some sacrifices have to be made along the way but if it brings us a brighter future then I think we as a country should be willing to make those sacrifices.

When I was in high school they offered a vocational program for seniors.  You went to school part of the day and then the school bused you to a voc-tech for the rest of the day...the schooling was district paid for too!  They had a lot of different options and a number of people went every year.  The school also had a shop class..every year they built a house from the ground up..after 4 years of shop class the kids had enough experience to get a good construction job..one guy in my class has his own construction company.

These jobs are necessary and there is no shame/blame in them just as there should be no shame/blame in ANY job.

You are right about the sacrifices.  We have control over the demand for products..as long as we demand the cheap stuff China turns out there will be a market for it.  Personally, I would rather have less of some things..and replace them less often..in order to pay a little more to have them made in the US.

heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Mar. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting heidimoose134:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting heidimoose134:

I think most of us can agree that minimum wage is not supposed to be a living wage. I think the heart of the issue is that many people who have lost well paying jobs haven't been able to find work that pays better than minimum wage.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Minimum wage is not meant to be a LIVING wage.  It was meant to be the bottom tier of the pay system...high school/college jobs...some entry level jobs...low skill jobs.  People wonder where the middle class went..it got slurped up by the increasing minimum wage.

I would love to be able to pay my counter girl & delivery driver the fed min wage..and give the extra dollar and change to my skilled workers instead...state of Oregon says I can't....so my counter girl and delivery driver got a fifty cent raise to $8.80 while my skilled workers..those in the middle class got nothing..the gap between closes some more.. 

Oh and before I become evil, mean, uncaring or greedy.  I will happily pay them all $20 an hour if you will happily pay $30 to have a shirt cleaned.

I agree with you 100%.  Since they can't seem to do anything with min wage except increase it..I would like to see a tiered system.  I would also like to see manufacturing increased in this country.  Our middle class was built on it!  There are ways to not only improve the economy but make it soar...it will take a several prong approach though...and given all the bickering 2 yr olds in DC (BOTH parties) that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

BTW, I like your username..too cute!

I agree with you as well. I think we would really benefit by increasing the number of manufacturing jobs here. Not everyone is suited for college and I think it's silly to expect everyone to be. It's hard to find any good paying job without at least a Bacholers degree these days and that's just not cutting it. And getting congress to get their heads out of their behinds would be helpful as well. lol 

And thanks, lol. :-)

Oh my gosh!  I totally agree with you on the college thing!  And this comes from someone that worked their butt off to pay for 2 degrees!  I have used 1 of them a good bit..but the other was mostly money spent on a piece of paper.  All these people with expensive degrees and jobs paying min wage or a little above..its crazy.

There are a lot of good paying jobs and careers that don't require college.  I have a nephew in high school and he has spent the last couple of years working for a plumber.  He doesn't want to go to college..he just wants to take some business courses at the jr college and open his own plumbing place.  My sister nearly had a coronary (our Mom pushed us to college)!  He is like.."Mom..what does it cost to have the plumber come out?"  The guy he works for makes 6 figures and lives in a very nice home in their small town.

Lots of blue collar fields can have high incomes.  Lots of blue collar fields have good life middle class incomes too.

Exactly. I think that there needs to be more availability for trade schools. I'm doing college myself to get an RN in nursing (which is $20/hr entry level wage in my area) and it's definitely hard, and I wouldn't expect everyone to be able to do it. 

A person could make tons of money being a plumber, or an electrician. Shoot, even the construction field has room for opportunity to grow and make more money. 

It would be nice to see more handcrafted things in this country. I'm not going to lie. I would love to see the manufacturing field boom here again. 

Some sacrifices have to be made along the way but if it brings us a brighter future then I think we as a country should be willing to make those sacrifices.

When I was in high school they offered a vocational program for seniors.  You went to school part of the day and then the school bused you to a voc-tech for the rest of the day...the schooling was district paid for too!  They had a lot of different options and a number of people went every year.  The school also had a shop class..every year they built a house from the ground up..after 4 years of shop class the kids had enough experience to get a good construction job..one guy in my class has his own construction company.

These jobs are necessary and there is no shame/blame in them just as there should be no shame/blame in ANY job.

You are right about the sacrifices.  We have control over the demand for products..as long as we demand the cheap stuff China turns out there will be a market for it.  Personally, I would rather have less of some things..and replace them less often..in order to pay a little more to have them made in the US.

My high school offered something like that as well. I know one of my friends participated in it. 

And I agree. I would rather pay out a few more bucks if it means better quality in the long run. I've become much more aware of what I buy over the last couple of years. 

Rhiannon92
by Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Way to go, rocket scientest.

You aren't the only one who has pointed that out. It was a generalization and OBVIOUSLY not every American recieves government assistance.

Quoting moneysaver6:

We are not all dependent upon the government.

Quoting Rhiannon92:

No wonder we are all dependent on the government.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If you make minimum wage wouldn't you qualify for low income housing?

Only if you're a single parent. The more kids you have the more assistance you get.

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Same here.

Quoting heidimoose134:

I would rather pay out a few more bucks if it means better quality in the long run. I've become much more aware of what I buy over the last couple of years. 

moneysaver6
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

That may be the requirement in some states, but it is not in every state.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Only if you're a single parent. The more kids you have the more assistance you get.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If you make minimum wage wouldn't you qualify for low income housing?

iluv2meow
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM

BULLSHIT!!!!

If the illegals can work for less than minimal wage and afford to live in the great country of America so can americans.

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

However, many new home builders are turning away investors for this very reason. They're giving potential first-time buyers and even buyers who are have the money/credit a crack at home ownership before the investors come in and do nothing more than rent the property out.

Arizona home developers built new home communities based on anticipated need and what the market looked like at the time. Many had no clue what was about to happen.

Quoting Della529:

I believe that was an INtended consequence of the entire "housing bubble" and it's collapse.

It's an excellent market for RE investors with a lot of capital and/or credit ;) 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:
a lot of foreclosures, property and apartment managers started seeing an influx of people in need of a roof over their heads. What did these managers and owners do? Raise the cost of the monthly rent.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured