Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This should be the last straw in the Republican assault against women: GOP Turning Against Anti-Domestic-Violence Legislation

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

Just as with the contraception issue, the Republican revolt against domestic violence reduction legislation was predictable enough to anyone watching the right carefully, and watching the Republican turn to the right. The far right that opposes contraception, gay rights, and abortion also has opposed VAWA since the beginning. It's seen by the far right as an assault on "the family," i.e., on the absolute authority of straight men over their families. They also oppose it because their misogyny leads them to believe that many to most accusations of domestic violence are lies, and that women make it up so they can get out of marriage. (Even the most polished right winger working this angle can't help but portray marriage as a form of indentured servitude for women. They just simply reject women's right to say no to it, and suggest women would be happier if they would just submit.) Phyllis Schlafly is especially concerned that women might leave and get protection even without getting a sound beating first, and she doesn't even bother to frame constant belittling, screaming, and threats of violence as anything but a man's God-given wife-control rights. As Carmon establishes, the women-should-be-trapped-in-marriage attitude underlies the opposition to VAWA from Concerned Women for America as well, with the group issuing a press release arguing the act offers women a "'tactical advantage'" if they "want out of a marriage for any reason at all." There are lots of accusations from the right that domestic violence legislation somehow strips men of their right to due process; they're presumably referring to the existence of restraining orders that don't actually deprive men of their freedom, but simply require them to stay away from their ex-wives or girlfriends. Unless you believe in an absolute right of men to harass and stalk the woman of their choosing, this argument is something of a stretch.

Because of all this, we can safely assume Republicans are turning against VAWA as part of the larger embrace of extreme right wing views with regard to health care, unions, women's rights, and voting rights. If they're successful, the effects could be devastating. VAWA has had a dramatic impact on lowering rates of domestic violence and especially homicide, but those gains could easily be reversed if the federal support simply vanished.

to read in its entirety:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/03/20/vawa_and_the_republican_hard_turn_to_the_right_.html

by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on May. 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Sadly your case is very typical. I can't count the number of times I've encountered family members that do not believe or support the victims.

I had a judge in one county I worked in say that there was no DV in this county. There is still this old school belief that DV as well as sexual assualt should be handled by the family. That thinking is absolutely absurd. It's what keeps victims from coming forward. Good for you for leaving your abusive partner. I wish you the very best in your upcoming case.

Quoting samiecake3:

I am a victim of domestic violence, and sexual assult on a minor- but he was found Not Guilty of his peers just from hearing testiomony against me and my daughter from my own family members saying we weren't victims, we played this or something to that affect. He walks, and now he is fighting for full custody of my youngest daughter- his own as well- however, the skeltons in his closet (spoken from his family members who wouldn't testify against him in court) indicated he molested his younger sister.

Any way I am playing my own lawyer until Texas Legal Services approve my case for the week, I can obtain legal help on fighting him, otherwise I still proceed against fighting him in court- the same attorney he used in criminal court he is using in the divorce court, plus this attorney is a friend of my grandmother's family. Wonder what I can get on him, to have him off the case since he is family associate!?!?!?

Meanwhile I am trying to stay a few steps ahead of the game, I have a motion to continue the hearing since I do not have my own discovery answers, interrogatories, and rule 194 request answers; wanting to scream the whole time because I am lost on these blasted legalities we all have as individuals. Then a moral obligation to protect my child from a man I believe is capable of harming my children and I.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on May. 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Why would they do such a thing???

my own family members saying we weren't victims,

I know a woman whose daughter returned home after 6 months of marriage stating her new husband was verbally and physically abusive.  The woman put her daughter back on a plane to return to her abuser telling her daughter she needed to figure out what she was doing that was triggering the abuse...and to stop doing those things.  Their religion plays a lot into this.  This is a very long, complex story - but this is a perfect example where the daughter's own family sent her back to her abuser because her vow before her god takes precedence over her personal rights.

Sherri

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Not really

Since the tea party invasion we've had an avalanch of abortion rights bills

Quoting Carpy:

But most of the bills are spun.

Quoting heidimoose134:

I agree that there is some over sensationalizing going on. However, if these things were never said/bills were never proposed in the first place then there would be nothing to create hysteria over. 

Quoting Carpy:

One man says somethin naive and it is the whole GOP.  The left has done a swell job of taking the focus off the economy and putting it to a false flag "war on women".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

lol the tipping point was reached long long ago.  see my sig for my complete views

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I really like your signature.

Quoting JanetMonroe1991:

lol the tipping point was reached long long ago.  see my sig for my complete views

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Lacey14
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM

We have to face facts ladies, that there are just as many nutjob women in this world, as their are men.  It isn't women all good - men all bad.

Before anyone is overly sympathetic about a story of woman abuse, you need to keep an open mind, because you may not know the whole story.  When my niece was 15 she reported that her father molested her.  She did this to get attention because she has a lot of mental problems.  She later confessed that it was all a lie, but her parents have had almost nothing to do with her after that.  I took her home with me and thought I could give her everything she needed that had been lacking in her life.  I had her one week and she caused trouble each day.  She ended up bringing in a bunch of neighborhood delinquents, and robbing us of a lot of valuable things, including my diamond rings and a few guns (which were never retrieved).  They were stupid enough to steal our camcorder and film themselves, loading up their loot. She was definitely the ring leader of their little party. Then she ran away to another state, with someone none of us had ever heard of.  About three days later, the police had her and called me to come pick her up.  I drove through the night to take her back where I got her.  All this in exactly one week.

A woman's strongest tool is her words.  She can move mountains with just words.

areid1023
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM

i kind of feel super lame for saying 'did you see that dr. phil?'...but did you see that dr. phil (lol) that aired recently about a 6 year old girl that was molested by her aunt's husband? she came home and told her mom, her mom believed her and confronted her sister and her sister (the little girl's aunt) flat out called the six year old a liar and went off about what a bad kid she was. the little girl's own grandma and grandpa also didnt believe her and they all stopped talking to her and her mom. fortunately, her mom took a stand and went to the police anyways, and the bastard ended up confessing. even after he confessed his wife didnt believe it and thought the police must've coerced him. it wasnt until he told her himself, with really disturbing details, that not only was it the one time that the 6 year old spoke up about but that it had been going on for quite a while, did she acknowledge the reality of it all. the little girl's grandpa stood up in court during bail deliberations and said that he would vouch for his son in law and if he needed a place to stay he was always welcome at their home. even AFTER the confession. 

it was one of the strangest most disturbing programs ive ever watched. it was really surreal because the grandma and the sister were both on the show with the little girl's mom, admitting to all of this. turns out both sister's had been molested when they were children (although the mom of the six year old was initially not believed and it took similar circumstances for the family to realize she was telling the truth) and the grandmother had been molested when she was a kid. 

it seems so unbelievable that family would ever do anything like that, but i think its really not that uncommon. even under circumstances that seem so obviously black and white. maybe its self preservation? im sure the sister didnt want to believe that she had been sleeping with/next to the same man that had been violating children in one of the most heinous possible ways. BUT there is still obviously a right and wrong thing to do, and its amazing how often people so close to others choose the wrong thing.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting samiecake3:

I am a victim of domestic violence, and sexual assult on a minor- but he was found Not Guilty of his peers just from hearing testiomony against me and my daughter from my own family members saying we weren't victims, we played this or something to that affect. He walks, and now he is fighting for full custody of my youngest daughter- his own as well- however, the skeltons in his closet (spoken from his family members who wouldn't testify against him in court) indicated he molested his younger sister.

Any way I am playing my own lawyer until Texas Legal Services approve my case for the week, I can obtain legal help on fighting him, otherwise I still proceed against fighting him in court- the same attorney he used in criminal court he is using in the divorce court, plus this attorney is a friend of my grandmother's family. Wonder what I can get on him, to have him off the case since he is family associate!?!?!?

Meanwhile I am trying to stay a few steps ahead of the game, I have a motion to continue the hearing since I do not have my own discovery answers, interrogatories, and rule 194 request answers; wanting to scream the whole time because I am lost on these blasted legalities we all have as individuals. Then a moral obligation to protect my child from a man I believe is capable of harming my children and I.

my little bug! 11-29-08

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:45 PM

bad

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry! You need help,I'm in Va. I will start searching to see if I can find something to help you! Keep your head up!hugs

Quoting samiecake3:

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2012 at 4:05 PM

That's ingrained thinking that men and women were programed to believe  so long ago! You Know what made me reject the notion completely? My Mom,as I grew up and watched it! I agree with you,Many WOMEN still think it's apart of keeping a man! SMH!

Quoting PurdueMom:

Quoting futureshock:

I know a woman whose daughter returned home after 6 months of marriage stating her new husband was verbally and physically abusive.  The woman put her daughter back on a plane to return to her abuser telling her daughter she needed to figure out what she was doing that was triggering the abuse...and to stop doing those things.  Their religion plays a lot into this.  This is a very long, complex story - but this is a perfect example where the daughter's own family sent her back to her abuser because her vow before her god takes precedence over her personal rights.

The only way Evil can triumph is for good women to do nothing!

*REAL TALK*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN