Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama, top Democrats lay low as Martin story shifts

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM
  • 122 Replies

Top Democrats — including President Barack Obama’s re-election team — are now keeping their distance from the Trayvon Martin uproar, as each day reveals more facts about the teen’s slaying.

“As more facts come out, it’s more confusing for folks,” Sharon Gilpin, a Democratic political consultant, told The Daily Caller.

“There was a pretty intense rush to judgment … [but] it is important to get all your facts before you cement your feet in the sidewalk,” said Gilpin, who has worked on numerous Democratic campaigns and ballot initiatives.

“As tragic as this death is, there obviously is another side to the story,” former Democratic Rep. Artur Davis told TheDC. “We would all do well to wait for the facts to emerge.”

At today’s White House press conference, spokesman Jay Carney dismissed the only question about the controversy. He was asked about Obama’s response to Rep. Bobby Rush appearing on the House floor wearing a hoodie. Rush represents an African-American district in Obama’s hometown of Chicago.

“I haven’t discussed that with him,” Carney said, six days after the president amplified a media firestorm by using a Rose Garden event to announced that “if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon.” (RELATED: Full coverage of the Trayvon Martin shooting)

After Carney dismissed the question, the reporters focused on Obama’s renewed — and routine — demand for higher taxes on oil companies.

Although the Congressional Black Caucus and numerous African-American activists, including MSNBC’s Al Sharpton and CNN’s Roland Martin, have highlighted the shooting and portrayed Martin as a likely victim of racism, many other Democrats have kept a low profile.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, for example, released a Mar. 21 statement that merely applauded a federal investigation into the Florida shooting. The Democrats’ Senate leader, Sen. Harry Reid, used a March 23 statement to focus his comments on the federal investigation as well.

The White House has kept its distance from the tangled Trayvon Martin dispute since March 23 when the president surprised Washington by using a Rose Garden event to wade into the controversy.

Besides an excerpt from his Rose Garden remarks, the campaign’s web site was mostly silent on Martin’s death. On Wednesday, that single excerpt showed little sign of traffic — it had collected only seven “likes,” two tweets, and no comments.

Obama’s campaign officials have mostly stayed away from the dispute as well, and when they do get involved, they have downplayed Obama’s intervention, avoided reference to race, and instead lashed out at GOP leaders.

“The president took a question the other day in the Rose Garden and he spoke from the heart and empathizing with parents who lost a son,” Stephanie Cutter, Obama’s deputy campaign manager, said in a Mar. 28 CNN interview.

“I think it is abysmal, despicable, that people like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum are trying to make this a divisive issue,” she said, only five days after the president highlighted the case as an issue that “all parents” should address.

“Nobody doubts the president’s commitment to bringing this country together,” she said defensively, while demanding that Gingrich and Santorum “should watch their own words.”

The president’s political adviser, David Plouffe, used the same aggressive approach in comments Mar. 25.

The GOP leaders’ comments “were really hard to stomach, really, and I guess trying to appeal to people’s worst instincts. … I don’t think there’s very many people in America that would share that reaction,” he said on CNN’s Sunday talk-show.

Media accounts of leaked police reports over the last few days have upended initial claims about the Feb. 26 shooting.

The reports and facts show that the shooter was George Zimmerman, a mixed race registered Democrat and a self-fashioned neighborhood watch captain.

Zimmerman alleged that Martin knocked him to the ground and broke his nose, according to media reports based on leaks from inside the local police department.

Martin was 17 years old, and was taller and heavier than he is portrayed in the widely published pictures that were taken when he was aged 14. Contrary to the images initially used by the national media, the police report shows he was taller than Zimmerman, while the shooter had a substantial weight advantage over the youth.

News reports say Martin was quizzed by school officials about possible theft, and was spending time at his father’s house following a suspension for vandalism.

Where CafeMom Smart Moms Go

by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tedsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

O can't have a beer summit to fix this one.

tedsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Quote:

The reports and facts show that the shooter was George Zimmerman, a mixed race registered Democrat and a self-fashioned neighborhood watch captain.

Zimmerman alleged that Martin knocked him to the ground and broke his nose, according to media reports based on leaks from inside the local police department.

Martin was 17 years old, and was taller and heavier than he is portrayed in the widely published pictures that were taken when he was aged 14. Contrary to the images initially used by the national media, the police report shows he was taller than Zimmerman, while the shooter had a substantial weight advantage over the youth.

Wait, that can't be true!!  You mean he didn't  have a photo of Sara Palin in his wallet??

The arguement that he was told to stay in his car doesn't hold much weight.  So 911 or the police can tell if you can or can not be a public street?  If that is the case why do they not tell the thugs to get off the streets in certain neighborhoods after a certain time and enforce it?

Treyvon had no right to attack Zimmerman.  How do we know that Trayvon didn't attack Martin and go for his gun trying to kill Martin?  Its possible. Especially since Treyvon wasn't a tiny meek little boy like the media is spinning.  He was a grown man larger than Martin.  I think that's why Martin hasn't been charged.  There is nothing to charge him on.  If they did try to indict him, the charges would never stick.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I wonder how many of these people will apologize if it turns out they all rushed to judgment.

Quoting tedsmommy:

tedsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Quoting candlegal:

I wonder how many of these people will apologize if it turns out they all rushed to judgment.

Quoting tedsmommy:

The number that looks like O.  LOL

NaniMami317
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting tedsmommy:

Quote:

Wait, that can't be true!!  You mean he didn't  have a photo of Sara Palin in his wallet??

The arguement that he was told to stay in his car doesn't hold much weight.  So 911 or the police can tell if you can or can not be a public street?  If that is the case why do they not tell the thugs to get off the streets in certain neighborhoods after a certain time and enforce it?

Treyvon had no right to attack ZimmermanHow do we know that Trayvon didn't attack Martin and go for his gun trying to kill Martin?  Its possible. Especially since Treyvon wasn't a tiny meek little boy like the media is spinning.  He was a grown man larger than Martin.  I think that's why Martin hasn't been charged.  There is nothing to charge him on.  If they did try to indict him, the charges would never stick.

He wasn't told to stay in his car. He was told not to follow Trayvon.

We don't know for 100% that Trayvon did attack Zimmerman. Why are you assuming that because Zimmermans brother, and father, and FAKE friend Oliver said so?!?!

And how do we know Zimmerman didn't chase Trayvon down and make him feel threatened??

Although Trayvon may have been taller than Zimmerman, that does not mean he weighted more.

When did Trayvon lose his right to stand hid ground.Stand Your Ground", "Line In The Sand" or "No Duty To Retreat" laws thus state that a person has no duty or other requirement to abandon a place in which he has a right to be, or to give up ground to an assailant. Under such laws, there is no duty to retreat from anywhere the defender may legally be" And Trayvon had the right to be where he was. So when did Trayvon lose his right to STAND HIS OWN GROUND. I really want to know

Mommy to Shaa'nelle (Oct 2,2011) & Shaa'nilah (Mar 17,2007)

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly why I don't get why people rush to judge things.  Do they just enjoy egg on their face?

I have no idea what really happened..that is why I am letting the professionals handle it...when the investigation is finished we will know.

tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:27 AM
15 moms liked this

President Obama said all he needed to say about the case.  What's the point in continuing to talk about it when y'all are whining about the minute he spent responding to a question about it?  

And I don't care about other Democrats who are "laying low."  I'm not.  And I'm not apologizing for coming to the conclusion that Zimmerman is a trigger happy fuckwad who shot an unarmed teenager.  It is what it is. 

tiffyhamm
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting NaniMami317:

Quoting tedsmommy:

Quote:

Treyvon had no right to attack ZimmermanHow do we know that Trayvon didn't attack Martin and go for his gun trying to kill Martin?  Its possible. Especially since Treyvon wasn't a tiny meek little boy like the media is spinning.  He was a grown man larger than Martin.  I think that's why Martin hasn't been charged.  There is nothing to charge him on.  If they did try to indict him, the charges would never stick.

We don't know for 100% that Trayvon did attack Zimmerman. Why are you assuming that because Zimmermans brother, and father, and FAKE friend Oliver said so?!?!

And how do we know Zimmerman didn't chase Trayvon down and make him feel threatened??

Although Trayvon may have been taller than Zimmerman, that does not mean he weighted more.

When did Trayvon lose his right to stand hid ground.Stand Your Ground", "Line In The Sand" or "No Duty To Retreat" laws thus state that a person has no duty or other requirement to abandon a place in which he has a right to be, or to give up ground to an assailant. Under such laws, there is no duty to retreat from anywhere the defender may legally be" And Trayvon had the right to be where he was. So when did Trayvon lose his right to STAND HIS OWN GROUND. I really want to know

she's assuming he attacked Zimmerman because he was black...and apparently that's what we do. 

tedsmommy
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting NaniMami317:

Quoting tedsmommy:

Quote:

she's assuming he attacked Zimmerman because he was black...and apparently that's what we do. 

I think that is a possiblity since Zimmerman has not been charged.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM
7 moms liked this

I see the usual suspects are here. SUSPECTS.

lol

And you don't even get the names right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)