Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If you are an Atheist & celebrate Easter, you are a hypocrite

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM
  • 257 Replies

That is what I was told, today, in another group. I posted this picture of my kids' Easter surprise, and drama shortly followed. It was basically the, "My religion is right, and you can't celebrate MY holiday," rhetoric that commonly takes place on CM. I'm a horrible person for buying my kids a gift on THEIR holiday. *sigh*

Thoughts?

by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:16 PM
4 moms liked this

Did you tell them that if you're a Christian and you're worried about what I'm doing then you' have too much time on your hands?

/l、
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf,)ノ

soft kitty, warm kitty, Little ball of fur!  Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr pur!

Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

One lady ADAMANTLY claimed that Easter is ONLY the celebration of the resurrection of Christ. I was like, learn your own religious history, lady. smh

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Did you tell them that if you're a Christian and you're worried about what I'm doing then you' have too much time on your hands?

The_Doodle
by Member on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM
7 moms liked this

Er, Easter started out as a Pagan holiday, didn't it?

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

It's pathetic that anyone would be so crude when you're showing pictures of your children. Real Christ like of them. smh.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it did.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Er, Easter started out as a Pagan holiday, didn't it?

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
tambrathegreat
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, come celebrate Ostara with us!  Pagans don't mind anyone at a party.

Cake.Lady
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I just showed that photo of their surprise. I got chewed out for calling it an "Easter" surprise. smh. 

Quoting Euphoric:

It's pathetic that anyone would be so crude when you're showing pictures of your children. Real Christ like of them. smh.

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM
4 moms liked this

Well How many Christians really celebrate Easter for what it represents nowadays anyway?

It's not like you're preaching Jesus to the kids. It just a fun holiday and you have every right to want to take part in a holiday about an egg shitting rabit and candy.

Besides, Christians celebrate holidays all the time that truly came from other religions.

she_walk_softly
by on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I am Muslim and eating Easter candy.....ponderous man.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heidimoose134
by Momma Moose on Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Oiy. I love it when people think that they have a claim on everything. Atheists can't celebrate Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Easter. Atheists can't participate in Lent. Blah blah blah. 

I see nothing wrong with Atheists embracing religious celebrations and letting their children experience them. How is it hypocritical? Just because we believe the stories to be myths doesn't mean we should have no right to celebrate them as part of our own upbringing, heritage, or community and pass them down to future generations who could potentially believe in these stories someday. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)